Books Forum Subsection

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
emuler

Re: Books Forum Subsection

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Hmm... would be nice to have books that some of the films here were based on. Flowers in The Attic is one that obviously springs to mind. Cider With Rosie, a bunch of Enid Blyton, Tom Sawyer, Anne of Green Gables, ... it will be a very long list.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Hmm... would be nice to have books that some of the films here were based on. Flowers in The Attic is one that obviously springs to mind. Cider With Rosie, a bunch of Enid Blyton, Tom Sawyer, Anne of Green Gables, ... it will be a very long list.
You should talk to ygl, I don't even care, I don't even read books :lol: , so it doesn't affect me at all, just trying to do the best for FLM IMO.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Quite often story in the book is longer than in the same movie so when watching the movie you see that something is missing (scene ends somehow strangely) you can watch from the book what was left out
Rich_Visiting

ferdi111 wrote:Quite often story in the book is longer than in the same movie so when watching the movie you see that something is missing (scene ends somehow strangely) you can watch from the book what was left out
It's not the context ferdi, it comes back to the purpose of FLM, for which literacy fits... as it should for all learning / development / understandoing. I will not comment any more on this post. it is what it becomes or not idk.

(Admins / mods can messge me)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

So what's stopping anyone from posting links for that material in General? I just don't see a need for adding a forum which will have little usage - we already have 64 forums - and a potential for mis-use. A book a film is based on belongs with that film's thread, not scattered somewhere people may not even think to look for it, and other topics are easily handled in General without needing a thread of their own.

When we created Shorts & Online Streaming Movies (All Countries), I spent weeks going through every forum and moving threads to their respective new section. That was years ago and I'm still finding ones I missed. The few discussions about books we already have here are generally intermixed inside other topics. Splitting that stuff out of existing posts would be a nightmare, take a long time, and lose a lot of context, and leave confusing gaps in the posts in the forums.

I'm not a dictator, I don't want to just blow this topic off. I think I've made my position clear - we don't need a new forum because what we have is already adequate - but we should get the input of the other admins first, and then go from there
ygl

Post by ygl »   3 likes

Hey, so as Rich said, I'm the other proponent behind this suggestion. It was actually his idea (he came up with it after I recommended him some OT books via PM), so credits to him for coming up with it and also for bringing it up for discussion here.

I understand this forum is about movies for the most part, and that not every FLM member might be interesting in books at all, yet I still think this is a good idea to consider, out of which the community may have something to gain. We all know there's tons of on-topic movies worth watching (there's several thousands of them already posted here). Similarly, there's tons of on-topic books that are well worth reading (some of which the original instantiations of the aforementioned movies), so we would have plenty of interesting content to fill up this proposed new section.

Some on-topic books are more or less rare and quite troublesome to find (even some of the not-so-rare are tricky to find in e-book form), so the book-lovers within the community would definitely benefit from this proposal by making them easy to find and download, just like FLM has already done so effectively with many extremely rare movies. Apart from sharing, this new subsection would provide with a place to discuss the books we love, and also discover new books we might want to read and would have otherwise never come across. Again, just like FLM already does so well with the movies.

Most books are entirely text-based and just a couple of kilobytes in size, so we wouldn't need to worry about this new section impacting the overall available bandwidth for sharing the movies. I also think we wouldn't need to worry about the legality/safety of the content shared. If anything books would be a far less risk than movies, due to them being text-based (barring some special categories like photobooks and mangas). We could probably add a rule requiring them to be listed on Goodreads, which is the IMDb of books, so it'd be analogous to the rule we have for movies.

I already have about five books in mind which I would like to share with the community, by releasing them on the ED2K network and posting them here. I would also be very interested to know which books the community has read and might also want to release or request. One of the books I'm reading now is Tideland, which as a matter of fact I started reading after I saw it mentioned here, on a comment made by none other than kev. So I think it's safe to assume that at least one of the admins reads books and will hopefully appreciate this suggestion.
emuler

I agree.
No to a separate forum for books.
Links to books that a movie is based on are to be posted in the relevant movie thread.
Other books that we might find interesting are to be discussed in the General section.
emuler

ferdi111 wrote:Quite often story in the book is longer than in the same movie so when watching the movie you see that something is missing (scene ends somehow strangely) you can watch from the book what was left out
Yes. Eg. a lot of freaky stuff in the books that the series A Game Of Thrones was based on didn't make it onto the TV screens.
Rich_Visiting

Thank fuck ygl, you took your time lol. Damn that's a lot of time spent Phuzzy, I know this feeling after spening 3/4+ years search 100's of still images for one OT scene haha. But this was kind of like fishing for me. If we are going from a purpose to a content argument, then good, I would say there is more than enough content to justtify a new forum.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   1 likes

And work involved? WTF, just set the guy up, I will vouch for him. It's a MOD position on a book thread of a forum lol

I really don't see any issue here tbh

Books were something I never considered aside from "an end to alice" which was about as bad as it gets, lets open up FLM Robin Williams styleee guys

If it's that much of an issuse I can admin / mod it myself send me PM.