Subtitles

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Re: Subtitles

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I think info about subs would be nice to have, although I've rarely had issues with that myself: hardcoded subs are almost always mentioned in the post (should be) and soft subs are usually posted if available, at least for non-English movies. From my point of view we do not need subs for all the English-language movies (unless there are strong accents), but surely many people here need those... Regarding "S tebou me baví svet", I own the DVD which has English soft subs, but the subs were probably not available when the movie was posted. If the poster added "No Subs", that wouldn't be helpful today at all.

I've noticed that many people don't download subs via eMule even when available, so subs are usually not well shared.

Note that subs can be also posted as attachment when zipped.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

As always I will take in consideration of other's requests but I will [REL] as I like otherwise I won't. My releases tend to offer more than most as it is and to 'require' anything that is freely given is asking to ponder if one should give at all. Be grateful for what you get, I am. No one is making anyone post here. What is offered is out of kindness and grateful exchange. I understand that it would be nice to have full clarity of everything a file has to offer but it is not that important to everyone and not everyone will ever do this anyway...

We already ASK enough of people when they [REL]. Subtitles are a luxury in my opinion. As phuzzy said if they are not given anyone is welcome to offer them.
kev
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle meeting

Post by kev »   0 likes

donkeykog wrote:As requested by pm..I set up an official request with the Admins for a subtitle request.

I request that subs be a added info to the project like country and year. Many of us only download what we understand. This is not to say that other downloads are not important! Those in forigien tongues. Just that before we spend the hours downloading from emule we undertand what we are getting/

Please let all further communication on this matter be public.
First off donkeykog, many MANY thanks for all the wonderful contributions you've made to FLM. You are the top posting member of late [there's always an ebb and flow, one member rises as other member's who once contributed much slow in their postings]; and everything you've brought here is greatly appreciated. MEGA: :thumbsup

That said:

(I'm not the sharpest tool [and I AM a tool! :lol: ] about, and I'm probably not understanding this issue that you seem passionate about... I speak English and I too would LOVE it [in my arrogance] if all foreign movies had English subs...)

If you're asking that poster's release subtitles along with the foreign [movies NOT in English] films they post; that's already an unspoken rule. IF there's subs available and the poster has access to them, or can rip them; MOST of our posting members do just that.

If they aren't able to do so, for whatever reason, it's usually noted in their post.

But;

If you're asking that poster's releasing foreign films be REQUIRED to post subs along with their releases, well..

That's just not going to happen. Period**. (It is solely up to you to chose to either d/load or NOT d/load ANY particular file...)

If THAT is what you're asking, then there's really no reason to drag this discussion on any further.

Please.

kev.

(**The reasoning behind this has been explained to you as clearly as possible.)
donkeykog

Re: Subtitle meeting

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

No, no, I understand if you don't have the subs, you don't have the subs! :D

But if you know if you don't have the subs or have them, you shoud say. The unwritten rule should be written.

By no means does that mean that posts with no subs are not welcome. But that the info is complete for the downloaders before they spend the time downloading.

Sub info should be a regular part of the post like title, year, and country. This not just helps users decide what to download, but helps in knowing what to update when subs become available.
donkeykog

PTG I am not asking that subs be required at all, I am not asking that subs be posted in any form....just that the info on subs be just like year and country. :D

Mimsy
Regarding "S tebou me baví svet", I own the DVD which has English soft subs, but the subs were probably not available when the movie was posted. If the poster added "No Subs", that wouldn't be helpful today at all.
Knowing that the post does not contain subs would have been helpful as now that we have subs we know the post should be updated. You and I have subs for that post. I still don't know whether a upload is needed cause it doesn't say. And I don't think either of us is going to spend the time downloading this just to see if it needs an upgrade.

I understand you take what you can get, but as a poster, I know what I am posting. And its not that hard for me to say "Hey guys this is from Italy and has NO SUBS/English Subs/I have no idea if this has Subs :D

Thanks for chiming in guys! I am more passionate about this and have kept my mouth shut. But see so many movies I pass up on because I do not know whether for sure they have subs or not and there are PLENTY of movies I could upgrade with subs but don't know whether or not they need them.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

donkeykog wrote:PTG I am not asking that subs be required at all, I am not asking that subs be posted in any form....just that the info on subs be just like year and country. :D
Requiring info about the subs is what I was referring to. It makes little to no difference if the file has subs in the container, someone offering an external as well has always been welcome. If a film has hard coded subs it has been the norm for veteran 'movie' posters to either say as much and or post a screen shot showing as much. No need for 'requirement' of noting. As someone who has gathered more than most I have found thousands of movies I downloaded that were not what I was hoping for. All part of the process and in case you haven't noticed most of the movies here are for the scenery not the dialog...

As for S tebou me baví svet it is an upgrade I was linking to, a High Definition TV rip. No need to know if it has subs just that the video is a big improvement to what is here. This movie is only here do to keywords not key dialog. ;)

Great that you are releasing a few 'movies' here and there but releasing a ton of youtube videos hardly makes you a top [REL]er. Perhaps the fact that you have most of the posts lately has gone to your head, I don't comment as much and I stopped releasing mainly because this has turned into another youtube channel instead of a rare childhood movie site. (I am sure the admins have already figured that out) If someone wants youtube videos they can go to youtube like everyone else on the planet but for childhood movies and a lot of them. We are a rare archive of such gems. Youtube can be fun here but majority of posts being youtube takes away from the movies. Just my opinion but considering the very few movie releasers participating at all lately. It might be worth pondering a bit more seriously.
donkeykog

Seems like your gettin kinda personal there. :D
It makes little to no difference if the file has subs
Maybe to you. But is it that hard to say whether it does. I realize you do not frequent this board like you used to but I do and I care about it's development. I am not an old-schooler here but I am active. "Youtuber" or not. ;)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

ptguardian wrote:Requiring info about the subs is what I was referring to. It makes little to no difference if the file has subs in the container, someone offering an external as well has always been welcome.
If there are subs in the container, it would be nice to mention it IMO. Similarly whether the movie is in the original language or dubbed. Ripping subs with Subrip is a waste of time if subs are already available...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

It'd be nice if every poster gave every bit of info about a film there is, but it just isn't going to happen and complaining to them may make them decide not to post anything again. If a movie thread doesn't have a subtitles file in it and the poster doesn't specifically say there are subs in the container, it's safe to assume that no subs are there. Feel free to find or create subs and post them on the thread. It's your loss if you pass up a film because there are no subs - you'll miss out on some of the best films in the world.
vidman49

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

donkeykog wrote: Vidman said
Also, if you have English subtitles for S tebou me bavi svet - could you post them (or are they hard coded?). It looks like a movie worth watching but I will not watch it until I get subtitles for it.
I used Vidmans post without permission. Sorry Vidman.
I don't mind being quoted, but it made me realize I was unclear. When I scanned through this movie it looked like a lot of the movie centered around dialog, so like I said, I will wait for subtitles before I watch it. However, I do watch foreign movies without subtitles. The movie Trollsyn comes to mind - an awesome movie that I believe was only released in VHS and never had subtitles about a girl who was watching a flock for a few days in Norway. When she came back to her village she found it had been wiped out by the black death (plague). Though there is a bit of dialog in it, it was not essential to the story. I also watched the entire Danish television series Absalons Hemmelighed without subtitles the first time, before ForAnAngel used a translator program to make English subtitles for the whole series. There have been many other movies I have watched without subtitles.

There have been times when I downloaded a movie from FLM that didn't mention subtitles and didn't have a separate subtitle file only to be pleasantly surprised to find the subtitles were hardcoded. I do appreciate when the poster mentions whether or not a file has subtitles and sometimes it will affect whether or not I will download an older movie or television series, usually I will download anyway.

I do wish posters would mention if subtitles are included, but even making it a hard fast rule doesn't mean it would be followed. Even when I post a movie, sometimes I forget to include the year, which IS one of the rules. :eusa_shifty