[REL] Bájecná léta pod psa (1997)

BizarreLoveTriangle

Re: [REL] Bájecná léta pod psa (1997)

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:I've been looking for more Czech FLM-type movies - seems like they had a different "attitude" than most countries, at least in the 70's and 80's.
An interesting fact I found in Wikipedia is that Czech Republic is the most non-religious European country after Estonia. So maybe they can take things easier, because they don't have the religious burden.

Ironically, the worst child molesters tend to be religious people. E.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axl_Rose#E ... 62-1982.29
Pranama

Post by Pranama »   0 likes

Well, BLT, the statistics ist the less reliable info source about any country, people, culture etc. ;) We may not have religious burden, but definitely we have a lot of other burdens. One of possible reasons of good quality of Czechoslovak child movies from 70´s and 80´s might be the fact that many excellent directors can only make child movies, as a part of repressions in the era of "normalization" (matching with 70´s and 80´s). And they must be happy enough, other ones were not allowed to make any movies at all, they must emigrate etc. Interesting enough, the time called "golden 60´s" before the Russian occupation in 1968 brought up many excellent movies, compared with this time today we experience a slow decline.
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

pranama wrote:One of possible reasons of good quality of Czechoslovak child movies from 70´s and 80´s might be the fact that many excellent directors can only make child movies
Well, there's something positive about communist regime...

If I was a movie director, and I was given two options -- make children's movies or emigrate --, I wonder which one I had chosen :think
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

pranama wrote:Well, BLT, the statistics ist the less reliable info source about any country, people, culture etc. ;) We may not have religious burden, but definitely we have a lot of other burdens. One of possible reasons of good quality of Czechoslovak child movies from 70´s and 80´s might be the fact that many excellent directors can only make child movies, as a part of repressions in the era of "normalization" (matching with 70´s and 80´s). And they must be happy enough, other ones were not allowed to make any movies at all, they must emigrate etc. Interesting enough, the time called "golden 60´s" before the Russian occupation in 1968 brought up many excellent movies, compared with this time today we experience a slow decline.
I won't debate religion either for or against - there's no way to avoid getting somebody angry. I think the attitude is more like facing the world with realism - there's nothing "nasty" about the human body and people will be people. Politeness and civility keep adults clothed, but if a kid is seen bare-bottomed, it's no big deal. Prudery has to be taught - children have no body modesty until adults teach it to them.

It's a cyclical thing - Victorian-era people dressed head-to-toe to go swimming while earlier times had coed nude bathing. Local culture is a factor too, such as a belch after dinner being the ultimate compliment to a cook in one place and a deadly insult in another. I'm sure the cycle will eventually swing the other direction again.

The '68 occupation horrified a lot of the world. Those of us who've never been through something like that can have no real conception of how it was to be in that situation. We can be thankful for the quality of the films from that time while deploring the reasons that made them possible.
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

Can I get a re share Please I'm stuck at 95.1% (664mb) Thanks
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

pranama wrote:Will look forward, I can only agree with your statement regarding "diiferent attitude" of most Czechoslovak child movies (well, at last before 1989). Btw, interesting, although pretty selective source is here http://bbb.warvara.net/
Have you ever seen Vynález zkázy (aka A Deadly Invention aka The Fabulous World of Jules Verne)? It was done in 1958 by Karel Zeman. It's not FLM material at all, but it's one of my favorite JV movies, and my jaw drops every time I watch it because of the detail and quality, even for 1958. I've clicked through it frame by frame just to catch some of what would otherwise be missed. Truly ahead of its time. I won't post the emule link since it's off-topic, but you can search on the title.
Pranama

Post by Pranama »   0 likes

Sure I watched Vynález zkázy, many times! Zeman´s movies are all of excellent quality, amazing special effects, years before inventing computers!
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

I appreciate the reshare, Idler. Got it complete now and will keep it shared for awhile. That devilish look on Jaruska's face gets me every time. :bigups
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

Possible to reshare this for a bit. Please
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Reshared.