[REL] Přijela k nám pouť (1973)

Ludvik

Re: [REL] Přijela k nám pouť (1973)

Post by Ludvik »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:They seem to be machine-translated.
I am trying to translate from Czech into French (I am learning Czech), and it's difficult because of the songs, especially the song "žluťásku, čičorečko", about the grand-father (died) and several species of butterflies. "Žluťásek čičorečkový" is the Czech name of the butterfly called "Colias hyale" (pale clouded yellow), with two little black points on the wings. I don't know the English subtitles, but if the work has been by a machine, it's clearly a bad job. (the stupid "jaundice" translation).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I thought "jaundice meadow" was pretty bizarre, but at least I could guess what it was SUPPOSED to be. I have always found translations of songs and poetry to be difficult and problematic, because their meanings are usually metaphorical rather than literal, and include cultural referents that are incomprehensible outside of their native country. It used to be common for comedians to read pop song lyrics in a straight manner, intending to mock them, and the lyrics always sounded ludicrous that way. When sung, however, they were perfect. So if songs lyrics are strange enough in their original language, what hope is there in a translation?!?! I have found that frequently the professional subtitlers choose to SKIP translating song lyrics and just do dialog. Their attitude seems to be "Just shut up and listen to the singer's voice." I have also seen the results when song lyrics ARE translated. Hong Kong action movies that included Cantonese pop songs with English-translated subtitles can be pretty amusing.

Whenever I review a machine translation to try and correct it and make it more natural-sounding, I pretty much always skip over the songs, because correcting them takes quite a bit of work and creativity. I did make an attempt at translating some Swedish Pippi Långstrump songs into English, because I was not satisfied with the existing professional translations. Oof, that was tough. I don't think I will do that again! But I am not trying to learn a language, just understand a movie, so I settle for "good enough".

Fortunately, even when machine-translated songs are pretty disastrous, the normal dialog can come out alright. It may not always be natural sounding in the target language, but it gets across what the characters mean.

I wish you the best with your translation efforts. I think you will find the experience quite rewarding, and I am sure it is an excellent way to learn a language.
yoko

Post by yoko »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:I think you will find the experience quite rewarding, and I am sure it is an excellent way to learn a language.
Learning a language should be fun, not a torture... I recommend something simpler: [REL] Freddy und die wilden Käfer (2008) :P
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

yoko wrote:Learning a language should be fun, not a torture...
That DOES look like fun! :D

I have always thought that a potentially FUN way for adults to learn a language is to be in an intimate relationship with someone who knows the language, is willing to enforce strict study time, and rewards linguistic progress in creative ways. Oh yeah. But that can require a lot of luck to find the "right" relationship ...

But to be more realistic now ... maybe I have an odd idea of fun and rewards, but I sincerely meant that the rigor of seriously studying the different aspects of a language to do a translation can be INTELLECTUALLY rewarding. It is easy for children to learn language at a very young age but it takes work for adults. I would expect that someone who is serious about acquiring a new language would want progress beyond a pre-school level!

Me, I am lazy and I can only do so much work and therefore I only learn a few words. Plus I speak my native language as little as possible, so learning another would just require me to TALK more. Eww, yuck. I will leave language learning to people who are not as antisocial as I am.
yoko

Post by yoko »   1 likes

I've learned 5 foreign languages. I can speak 2 (with mistakes) and understand simple things in another 2. The 5th one was a total failure :wall

Making it too difficult on yourself can have a very negative effect on the learning process.

Indeed the best way to learn is to communicate with people who speak the language natively. Any native Czechs here who can help?
Night457 wrote:I speak my native language as little as possible, so learning another would just require me to TALK more. Eww, yuck.
Same here. You do seem to like writing, though ;)

Lucky me I have a chance to reply and see your cute avatar again :oops:
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

yoko wrote:I've learned 5 foreign languages.
I fold. I can not disagree with someone who has done that. Your technique must work! :D
Indeed the best way to learn is to communicate with people who speak the language natively.
At least that is one thing I understand correctly.
You do seem to like writing, though ;)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Uh, yeah. I do tend to go on, I am aware of that. But I realize that anyone who is not interested can just scroll through looking for a download link and not have to suffer through my prose.

Honestly, it is just easier for an introverted person who does not like to talk to deal with people in writing rather than in person. I am antisocial but not exactly misanthropic, right?

OBLIGATORY THREAD-RELATED COMMENT TO KEEP THIS POST ON TOPIC:

I quite like Markéta, a girl who can stand up to the boys and does not mind playing in the mud!
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: OBLIGATORY THREAD-RELATED COMMENT TO KEEP THIS POST ON TOPIC:
:icon_biggrin2
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:43 amI quite like Markéta, a girl who can stand up to the boys and does not mind playing in the mud!
Night, your prose and "goings-on" here are a pleasure to read, every time! Yours is a quality to look up to!

Thanks for the quality HD file, jezevex! And thanks for the subs, Night. I wonder if Ludvic got very far translating the subs into French. I'd love to see his work. This looks like a very fun movie, with girls and mudslides and dirt and everything nice! I think that's how the saying goes, right?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

EXACTLY how I remember the saying!
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

Any sources for this one? Kinda want to check this one out and not finding it anywhere