[REL] Viva Cuba (2005) [Chile]

billanben

[REL] Viva Cuba (2005) [Chile]

Post by billanben »   16 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477916/

One of those people is Divorced middle aged woman who, after a short grieving period over her mother's death, decides that her future will not be on Cuban soil. Unfortunately, her daughter Malu is a close friend with Jorgito who's mother and Malu's mother are arch-enemies, mainly because Jorhito's mother is a devout communist and Malu's mother is a "burgois" (in Cuban terms) Christian (Christianity is a legitimate practice of faith in Cuba since 1989).

The disgruntled kids, Malu and Jorhito, know that once Malu's father will sign the exit authorization papers for his ex-wife, they will never see each other again. In a desperate attempt to save a deep bond that grown ups simply cannot attain, Malu and Jorhito go through a clandestine and perilous journey all the way from Havana in the North to Camaguay in the south. When I did this journey with my friend in a rental car, it took us 12 hours, 2 flat tires and the better part of 300$ so you can expect these 12 year old kids to stumble on a few obstacles of their own.

The voyage to the bottom of the last communist nation on this planet (and no, China is not even remotely communist these days) is a test of the friendship its meant to save but its also a unifier between the alienated mothers who find out that they have more in common than they thought or should is say, cared to believe.

The viewers get to find something else as well. They get to see Cuba outside the myth, away from the cigar factories, Hoze Marti's monuments and the colonialist architecture. Cuba is not only the one of Ernest Hemingway and Che's legacy of revolution, it's also the rural island of good natured people it always was. Even before Castro emerged from the Siera Madre and replaced a reign of tyranny with another.

Those who get to know Cubans, know that the fledgling economy, dilapidating buildings and obsolete infrastructure diminished Castro's appeal and although no one misses Batista, it's more than obvious that after Ilcommendante passes on, Cuba will go through a very profound metamorphosis. That is not to suggest that Cuba will become corporation-land like its northern neighbor but the winds of change are breezing into the mujitos. This film, although doesn't criticize Castro and even depicts an overly complimenting view of Havana, adds little hints that Che's Ideology is not immunized from mortality anymore than Che himself was.

Don't let my tedious manifest to make you believe this film is a history lesson or a camouflaged propaganda. This film is personal, it deals with the friendship of two 12 year old that are reluctant to succumb to the petty ways of the adult world. It's a story about two kids that rock their parents look on life simply by doing what they passionately believe in. The director, Juan Malberti knows that the appeal of the film is the genuineness of it's protagonists and he wisely let their acting talent (which they have in abundance) dictate the emotional scenes and set the tone of the film in general.

This film didn't make me put a "Hasta la Victoria siempre" (Che's motto meaning: always until triumph) sticker on my car but than again, that isn't its goal. This film is about the triumph of friendship over hardship and, aided with a great cast, wonderful writing and almost-flawless direction, this film is one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences I had in a very long while.I assume this movie can appeal to anyone, regardless of one's opinions about communism. The only Ideology endorsed in this film is that adult cynicism is never a match of the children's benevolent outlook.

Of course, if you are into movies, you know that already.

9 out of 10 in my FilmOmeter.

This is an excellent film with something for everyone (there are lots of OT scenes), and a very good story, as well as abundant views of the scenery of Cuba. It is available either at link below or Lostmovies

Like this post to see ed2k links  [780.00 Mb]

enjoy
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Viva Cuba 2005 (Chile)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks bilanben! Looking forward to this one ;)
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

and db if this was any further up your street it would have to buy a house and live there :-))
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

LOL, thanks billanben
:)
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

billanben wrote:and db if this was any further up your street it would have to buy a house and live there :-))
LOL! Watch out, Debaser; billanben has your number!! ;)

kev.

PS: This DOES sound like a great release, billanben; THANKS!: Would'a posted pix if I could find them online. Will have to wait and cap them [if no one else has] when I get this downloaded.. :bigups

kev.
sprocket

Post by sprocket »   0 likes

[Image]

For those who want to see a bit before downloading there is a brilliant clip in Real Video here for broadband users. You will need Real Player.
http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/tsi/vod_200 ... nd=25:40.0
abel

Post by abel »   0 likes

Saw a trailer and found it very interesting movie, will download it. Thanks a lot billanben!
infiniter

Post by infiniter »   0 likes

Is it just me or my player or are you also having that silly sound thingy?
Once the sound disappears for over a minute, once it is only on the right, then again only on the left. Who did this?

But nice underwear scene... :cool
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   14 likes

ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   16 likes

and these: Like this post to see ed2k links  [695.68 Mb] , Like this post to see ed2k links  [697.80 Mb] :thumbsup

They all come with hardcoded english subtitles and much better quality!