Der Todesking (1990) [Germany]

Movies that don't quite meet the requirements to be on-topic for FLM, maybe because the actors are too old or screen time is too small.
emuler

Der Todesking (1990) [Germany]

Post by emuler »   0 likes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098486/
Seven episodes, each taking place on a different day of the week, on the theme of suicide and violent death.
A movie about suicide! Actually it's seven movies about suicide. We get to follow Buttgereit in to his strange world of death, it's not a fun trip, but I can guarantee you that it's not meant to be an enjoyable film. The film is divided into different short stories, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... If you haven't seen any of Buttgereits earlier movies this one can be pretty hard to sit through cause it is pretty bizarre although not as graphic as his other movies, Nekromantik, Schramm. Needless to say; I love it, I love Buttgereit for making death into the blackness that it's doomed to be, he's not joking around. Another thing that needs to be praised is the soundtrack; beautiful. Buy this film, then buy his other movies.
I don't know what the reviewers on IMDB were smoking! IMHO this film sucks, and not in a good way. If you want to know how a human corpse decomposes, I suppose this is the film to watch. :roll:

The version I watched is 1 hr 12 min 19 sec. There is a short segment with a little girl; nothing interesting. The most interesting shots were stills shown as part of the credits at the end.

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

[Image]
kev
Site Admin

Re: Der Todesking (1990) Germany

Post by kev »   0 likes

emuler wrote: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098486/

I don't know what the reviewers on IMDB were smoking! IMHO this film sucks, and not in a good way. If you want to know how a human corpse decomposes, I suppose this is the film to watch. :roll:

The version I watched is 1 hr 12 min 19 sec. There is a short segment with a little girl; nothing interesting. The most interesting shots were stills shown as part of the credits at the end...
This movie was directed by Jörg Buttgereit, a very famous German director in the low budget independent underground gore film genre...

The movies Nekromantik and Schramm [as well as THIS movie] pretty much put him in the 'Cult Film' history books.

His movies are VERY esoteric and for 'specific' tastes and probably would suck in the way Harmony Korine's movies [like Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy ] do for most people looking for a mainstream movie. ;)

I've seen this and a few other of his films [the Nekromantik's and Schramm] and am kind of so-so about him. I understand where he was going, but his style is a little grim for my tastes.

kev.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Hmm.. any idea if the director's cut exists? The typical length of a feature film is 90min; perhaps so much was cut from the version I saw that it made no sense to me. Anyway, if the pictures in the end credits (click them to see them full size) came from a film, that's the one I would love to watch. ;)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

emuler wrote:Anyway, if the pictures in the end credits (click them to see them full size) came from a film, that's the one I would love to watch. ;)
Like EuroTrip (2004) [USA] :mrgreen:
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   1 likes

One of the funniest end credits I've ever seen :lol:
http://youtu.be/ehY4kotYfBo?t=1h26m38s