[REL] La Traversée du phare (1999), Les inséparables (2001)

David32441

Re: [REL] La Traversée du phare (1999)

Post by David32441 »   3 likes

DreamScape wrote:David32441, thanks so much for the effort! :clap

I'm also fascinated with your process.
Thanks for the words of encouragement people!
Today I got a lot done - managed to subtitle from 55m to 1h13m. I'm on subtitle line 1110+ now!!! It's a lotttttttt of work! I must be crazy for taking on this project!
But that software makes it a breeze to time the subtitles to the audio. I've even noticed the faint lines mean a video scene transition! The software is even clever enough to scan the video - look for scene changes and mark them to help you avoid subtitles appearing for a few frames in a new scene! Soo clever and intuitive!
I've also switched translator apps from a Google one that got 70% of the dialogue to an amazing one called "Translator 4.0" aka.ms/translatorapp that's getting 90% of the dialogue. It must have some amazing AI that's even getting dialogue over background noise! I'm getting almost every word now! Which annoyingly means revisiting the first 700 lines before I switched to this to try and fill in some blanks!
It helps having good small speakers to play the audio through. Having my phone near the speakers - and getting the level just below what the phone mic clips at.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   3 likes

Here's a current screenshot of the work in progress...
[Image]
to say Aegisub is ****ing awesome and easy to use is an understatement! It is sooooo amazing for doing this! On anything else it would take twice as long and the timing would be awful. I highly recomend getting it for any subtitling anyone wants to have a go at!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I never tried this software seriously, because it just seemed to complicated to me :( But thanks for your work!

I am really looking forward for the finished subtitles! :)
David32441

Post by David32441 »   2 likes

All done and double-checked - enjoy! Of course it's timed to your file.
https://mega.nz/file/IFxUhKpK#urF41W8Ft ... N_niD1jZM4
I think people will be impressed!
The app I used (Microsoft translator app on Android) is brilliant - I was able to get about 95% of the dialogue in the end, even over background noise (sea, car, zoo noises). The google one was struggling to get 70%, and often returned a single word from a sentence or rubbish!
Even complicated sentences with place names! eg. 'The former keeper of the Cordouan Lighthouse.' and complex phrases like 'Why are you still thinking in your little head.' and 'He's not my godson, he's my son.' ... 'We did tons of paperwork to call him that, so he's my son.'
And yeah, a shit load of work, 1600 lines of dialogue! By someone who only did a few years of French at school 30+ years ago! But the subtitling was made relatively easy using Aegisub. I highly recomend it to anyone trying subtitling!
I really love this pair of films now! I got so much more out of it knowing the dialogue - it's pretty dialogue heavy... as I found out!
Last edited by David32441 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David32441

ghost wrote:I never tried this software seriously, because it just seemed to complicated to me :( But thanks for your work!

I am really looking forward for the finished subtitles! :)
It's really simple to use. The software doesn't even have to be installed. It's just a stand-alone executable folder. Open it. Go to the video and import the video (which also imports the audio). It then loads audio and video and scans it for 30 seconds or so to display the waveform and scene changes. I made a 500mb low quality video file version just so it loaded a bit quicker. Then start inserting dialogue lines. Far simpler to setup than the 8 pieces of software I had to install to do that deinterlacing :)
The file format in Aegisub does default to a ".ass", but I've resaved it to the more common .SRT standard we use just by opening the .ass in Subtitle Edit and saving it out as SRT. .ass can store colours and text placement too I believe, but necessary for simple translations.

And Ghost, I dedicate this translation to you for releasing and remastering all these films! If you hadn't released this 720p version, I wouldn't have bothered to do the translation! Your work is appreciated man!
Last edited by David32441 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

That translator app... did I understamd correctly that you used it somehow to make speech to text in French?
And if you had it, then translated it?
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ferdi111 wrote:That translator app... did I understamd correctly that you used it somehow to make speech to text in French?
And if you had it, then translated it?
Yes, I translated the whole movie with it - dialogue to text. Just played through some good speakers with my phone 10cm away! Very impressed with it's AI. I did the first 600 lines with Google translator. Then went back over them with the Microsoft Translator app. Interestingly Microsoft app wrote **** for the few swear words while Google wrote the real swear words! The google translator was worse, in that sometimes it wrote swear words and other random words where I knew there were none!!!
David32441

A final comment on my translation I thought of... Katty Loisel's character has some really funny banter about boys vs girls! The audio-text was even good enough to pick up her jokes! Must be like half her lines are jokes! Some great snappy dialogue!
Oh, and while watching the film and subs back I've seen I missed about 6 lines of dialogue at the 7m50 mark - I think the Google Translator didn't get them - and I missed trying again with the Microsoft one. Will replace my file later tonight with an update. I don't think they're important lines.
Anyway - anyone who watches with it, let me know your thoughts! Hopefully you won't find any glaring mistakes! I wonder what film I should try and sub next!!!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Amaaaazing! Thanks for the work you put in it!! :clap :dance

Finally I can watch the movie and know what they're talking.
David32441

ghost wrote:
Amaaaazing! Thanks for the work you put in it!! :clap :dance

Finally I can watch the movie and know what they're talking.
Cheers.
Here's a better version - v2:
https://mega.nz/file/lFwUUJgK#1GZuEfypG ... s5N7AIZ_UU

- I added those 6 lines I mention I'd missed. When I did my 2nd pass I was looking to improve the translation, but in clicking through each line I missed that I'd skipped over some lines the Google one didn't understand! Only noticed when I played the video after and saw some had no translation!
- Some of the CPS (characters per second) ran too fast (>18 CPS) - so, where possible, I've extended the amount it stays on screen.
- A few lines I've amended the dialogue.

Let me know your thoughts - when you've seen it with the subtitles! Be interested what people think.