[REL] La Traversée du phare (1999), Les inséparables (2001)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] La Traversée du phare (1999)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Finally I bought a new laptop ...
Topaz is running like a racing horse (compared to my old laptop), I can do an upscale fom SD to HD in 3 - 4 hours now!!!
Congratulations ghost, great news on your new "toy"!

That is definitely fast. I am lucky if 3-4 hours is enough to blur out a TV logo.

You do realize that you will now probably (quite predictably) get even more requests for enhanced upgrades on favorite films?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You do realize that you will now probably (quite predictably) get even more requests for enhanced upgrades on favorite films?
Yes, I realize this. :? But a request is no guarantee. If you know what I mean... ;) :D
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:You do realize that you will now probably (quite predictably) get even more requests for enhanced upgrades on favorite films?
With that speed he'll probably upgrade every SD film of decent quality he owns sooner or later, with or without a request from us. If I could run it that quickly the first thing I'd do is go through all my DVDs one by one and post every version that was a real improvement on the original.

Speaking of: thanks for this one Ghost! :D

I'm still trying to find subtitles for the second film, Les inséparables. Nothing. Anyone else had better luck?
ghost
Site Admin

I probably won't upscale all my SD movies to an enhanced HD version. Only the ones I like most.
I've got so many movies that I'll never watch again.

La Traversée du phare was difficult and the result is far away from perfect. The DVD quality was pretty poor :(

In this case I used the Gaia model, which looks more natural, but a bit less sharpness.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

ghost wrote:La Traversée du phare was difficult and the result is far away from perfect. The DVD quality was pretty poor :(

In this case I used the Gaia model, which looks more natural, but a bit less sharpness.
Yeah, it never helps when they go smaller than full or widescreen. You're working with less than DVD resolution.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:But a request is no guarantee. If you know what I mean...
Yes I do, but I also noticed that for pretty much every previous request your response was along the lines of "Oh wow that was a great movie, I would love to see it better looking!" :D So the only person who will really cause you to get in over your head is YOU!
I've got so many movies that I'll never watch again.
Sigh. The number of decades it took for me to finally admit that hard truth to myself about my DVD collection. I could have saved so much money if I had looked a little harder for rentals, or had better Internet earlier on ...
deadman wrote:I'm still trying to find subtitles for the second film, Les inséparables. Nothing. Anyone else had better luck?
Sadly NO, although it is not for lack of trying. Every time the thread gets bumped I end up looking again.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:I would like to add my deinterlaced version:
[Image]

La traversée du phare (1999).720p.mkv
La traversée du phare (1999).720p.srt

Well, you'll ask yourself: Why does this guy spend 2 days with a film, we already have in HD?

Finally I bought a new laptop with an Intel i7-11800H CPU and a NVidea RTX 3060 graphic card. It's like a dream and just soooo amazing! :shock: :icon_1dancingban :icon_1dancingban :icon_1dancingban

Topaz is running like a racing horse (compared to my old laptop), I can do an upscale fom SD to HD in 3 - 4 hours now!!!
In a laptop!? Must have set you back like $3000 I imagine! And that's ridiculously fast! Mine takes about 7 hours per hour of film length - and mine's a stand-alone PC!
I'm always impressed how fast Nvidia graphics cards work with Handbrake for the final encode. I get about 10x the encoding speed of my old dual-core Win7 PC when the CPU is only 3-4x as good on a benchmark. About 90-110fps even on the 'slow' encode setting with a 720p file! Nvidia has some H264 optimisation in the hardware.
And if you've found a way to deinterlace it (I couldn't as it was already 25fps when I sourced it) then I'm trusting your version to be superior to mine!
ghost
Site Admin

In a laptop!? Must have set you back like $3000 I imagine!
Well, it's a MSI gaming laptop. They have improved a lot during the last few years. And yes, NVIDEA meanwhile has laptop versions of their GeForce RTX cards.
And if you've found a way to deinterlace it (I couldn't as it was already 25fps when I sourced it) then I'm trusting your version to be superior to mine!
Not superior in any way. The source quality was just too bad. I simply did the deinterlacing with XMediaRecode using the libav deinterlacer. QTGMC does a very good job on interlaced DVDs, but if you use Topaz afterwards, it often gives you this "plastic" look.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:
In a laptop!? Must have set you back like $3000 I imagine!
Well, it's a MSI gaming laptop. They have improved a lot during the last few years. And yes, NVIDEA meanwhile has laptop versions of their GeForce RTX cards.
Not superior in any way. The source quality was just too bad. I simply did the deinterlacing with XMediaRecode using the libav deinterlacer. QTGMC does a very good job on interlaced DVDs, but if you use Topaz afterwards, it often gives you this "plastic" look.
Gone is the slight interlacing effect I saw in the opening credits. So that's fixed! Yes, I'm seeing faint-ghosting - like VHS - where you get a 10% negative image 5 pixels to the right - but as it's only in some scenes I wonder if it was a signal-noise thing in their original cameras! Topaz has the "grain" setting - that can help with the plastic look a bit. But yeah, the smoothing can take away fine detail in skin and other stuff - but keeps anything more substantial like moles, spots, etc. I tested a setting on one film and half a frosted glass window with less detail was smoothed. The other half was left textured!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   57 likes

I watched my file yesterday and I wasn't pleased at all. :cry:

I did it again using my finished 720p file with some additional fine tuning. Now it really looks like HD to my opinion.
I updated my link and if you still have the nerves, feel free to download it again.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.23 Gb]