[REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

David32441

Re: [REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:
1.9gb encode at 720p (a 55-45% blend of Artemis HQ and Dehalo!)
Video + my translated subtitles!
Thanks, David! You did a great job, also with the subs :thumbsup
Glad you like. I watched half the finished film on my 55 OLED the other day and was very happy with it :)
Of course I spotted one subtitle that I had on one line - should have been on 2 - woops!
As you've probably seen. The translator is amazing. Was particularly impressed with the scenes at the nightclub (getting translation over the music) the museum (all the names) and the dialogue at the scene in the staff boardroom where he confesses it's the daughter he loves, not the wife!!! Even the scene where Camille says she doesn't like the house of her mother as it was bought with the money from her grandfather using African slaves to mine tin! The google translator was getting none of this!!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

This app, it doesn't write the French. It on the fly only writes the English.
Ah well, I thought it worthwhile to ask. I have read your progress reports with interest even if I did not always understand the technical details. Since you were literally doing live translation rather than live transcription, I now understand why you would not have the French! If you DID have it, that would make for more accurate translations to other languages rather than going through another language, in this case English.

That has never stopped me from machine-translating a Russian subtitle for a movie from another language, however! People take what they can get.

It is quite obvious you did put a great deal of work into this and I am grateful. I certainly wanted your upgrade, even though I have and watched at least two other downloads of the same movie. In this thread you mentioned that many people have bandwidth issues, so I think you can understand that some people might only be interested in a subtitle if they have a movie already. That is why I ripped the subtitle and shared. I never fault anyone for sharing what they WANT to share. But people can still ask politely for something more, if they think it might be available. That's all I meant, no slight intended.

I personally think all subtitles should be free for all, and I share them when I can. Admittedly I have never added to opensubtitles, just shared them here and on eMule. Someone else can put them on opensubtitles if THEY want to. (Just like I expect from everyone else, I share the things I want to share in the way I want to share them.) There are times when I download a movie as a 2.5Gb 1080p MKV and as an older 4.7GB DVD-ISO, rip and OCR the subtitles from the DVD and then ditch it. The subtitles are valuable enough that I am willing to use the bandwidth. Your upgrade is definitely a keeper, however.

Thanks!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
This app, it doesn't write the French. It on the fly only writes the English.
Ah well, I thought it worthwhile to ask. I have read your progress reports with interest even if I did not always understand the technical details. Since you were literally doing live translation rather than live transcription, I now understand why you would not have the French! If you DID have it, that would make for more accurate translations to other languages rather than going through another language, in this case English.

That has never stopped me from machine-translating a Russian subtitle for a movie from another language, however! People take what they can get.

It is quite obvious you did put a great deal of work into this and I am grateful. I certainly wanted your upgrade, even though I have and watched at least two other downloads of the same movie. In this thread you mentioned that many people have bandwidth issues, so I think you can understand that some people might only be interested in a subtitle if they have a movie already. That is why I ripped the subtitle and shared. I never fault anyone for sharing what they WANT to share. But people can still ask politely for something more, if they think it might be available. That's all I meant, no slight intended.

I personally think all subtitles should be free for all, and I share them when I can. Admittedly I have never added to opensubtitles, just shared them here and on eMule. Someone else can put them on opensubtitles if THEY want to. (Just like I expect from everyone else, I share the things I want to share in the way I want to share them.) There are times when I download a movie as a 2.5Gb 1080p MKV and as an older 4.7GB DVD-ISO, rip and OCR the subtitles from the DVD and then ditch it. The subtitles are valuable enough that I am willing to use the bandwidth. Your upgrade is definitely a keeper, however.

Thanks!
Yeah, all for sharing subtitles. So thanks for sharing.
I mentioend opensubtitles as that's a dedicated subtitle hosting site.
Yes, I've had to do that a few times - download GB of data just to get a 50kb subtitle file I wanted!
The technical bit:
Deinterlace looks like a comb effect - especially obvious on sharp diagonals and moving scenes. Various software can deinterlace video by merging the 2 interlaced fields. VirtualDub has a filter for this. What I don't understand myself is that the video said it was 25hz - but interlaced!
And to summarise you've seen Ghost and other's Topaz enhancements. But what I found was the HQ one was too sharp and the DeHalo was too soft. So I encoded it twice (making sure to keep % and final size the same on each) to make 2 giant 100gb videos. Dropped both into Shotcut (like Premiere or any other video editor) and if you drop in 2 video streams you can make the top one xx% transparent so some of both show through. Rendered that in Shotcut to a new giant master file. Then did a final encode in Handbrake (it has more mp4 settings than Shotcut).
Last edited by David32441 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

It was a pleasure reading through this thread and seeing all the teamwork getting this movie in good quality with subs. Thanks for the all work on the upscaling and the subs, David, and thanks to everyone else including popdrome and ghost for keeping the interest alive! I am quite interested in watching this one, even if the girl is a little turd!
crunch

Post by crunch »   0 likes

Hello. I am French, 58 years old, I live in the far west of France: Brest, in Brittany. I can't write in English, so I use Google translate. "la petite allumeuse" appeared on French television in the mid-1990s. At the same time, there was also "la contre-allée" on television. I had recorded these two films on VHS. One day, a friend and I watched this VHS. she was 22 and liked films with young girls of that age. There is already a post about the movie "la contre-allée" on this forum? Do you know this movie?
I have the DVDs of these two films.
I love this kind of little French comedies but France, nowadays, is not what it used to be because there is too much censorship now
Please forgive me if I may not have followed forum protocol.
Kénavo (goodbye in Breton language!)

[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

crunch wrote:Hello. I am French, 58 years old, I live in the far west of France: Brest, in Brittany. I can't write in English, so I use Google translate. "la petite allumeuse" appeared on French television in the mid-1990s. At the same time, there was also "la contre-allée" on television. I had recorded these two films on VHS. One day, a friend and I watched this VHS. she was 22 and liked films with young girls of that age. There is already a post about the movie "la contre-allée" on this forum? Do you know this movie?
I love this kind of little French comedies but France, nowadays, is not what it used to be because there is too much censorship now
Cool thanks for scans of the covers! I miss the old comedies as well. La contre allee has a thread, maybe you can do a dvd iso of it?
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... =la+contre
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote:
crunch wrote:Hello. I am French, 58 years old, I live in the far west of France: Brest, in Brittany. I can't write in English, so I use Google translate. "la petite allumeuse" appeared on French television in the mid-1990s. At the same time, there was also "la contre-allée" on television. I had recorded these two films on VHS. One day, a friend and I watched this VHS. she was 22 and liked films with young girls of that age. There is already a post about the movie "la contre-allée" on this forum? Do you know this movie?
Cool thanks for scans of the covers! I miss the old comedies as well. La contre allee has a thread, maybe you can do a dvd iso of it?
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... =la+contre
I had a go at translating the film for English (and other nationalities) by using a audio translator to generate English text. But it is not 100% perfect.
Knowing the film you might be able to answer some of the missing text. The link to the SRT subtitle file (a simple text file) has been posted on the previous page by Night457. You might also be interested in my "AI upscale" version. It looks a lot cleaner than the original DVD rip.
If you wanted to help fill in a few blanks please search the text for where the "?" symbol appears that will find most of them. If you can type out what they "really" said in French that would be helpful! Or I can just type some of them with the time-code?
reptile12

David32441 wrote:
I had a go at translating the film for English (and other nationalities) by using a audio translator to generate English text. But it is not 100% perfect.
Knowing the film you might be able to answer some of the missing text. The link to the SRT subtitle file (a simple text file) has been posted on the previous page by Night457. You might also be interested in my "AI upscale" version. It looks a lot cleaner than the original DVD rip.
If you wanted to help fill in a few blanks please search the text for where the "?" symbol appears that will find most of them. If you can type out what they "really" said in French that would be helpful! Or I can just type some of them with the time-code?
The DVD has French subtitles. What about translating those directly in some program? Should be better than audio
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote:The DVD has French subtitles. What about translating those directly in some program? Should be better than audio
Wait, what? Which DVD? The DVDs that crunch shared the artwork for (this and the other film) both say "sous-titres: aucun" which is "subtitles: none." Is there another DVD version of this film that DOES have French subtitles, as you say? If so then you are correct: if they are optional French subtitles, then they can be ripped, OCRd, and translated. Or someone could watch the DVD with the subtitles turned on (or if hardcoded) and fill in the "?" missing sections in the subtitle file that David32441 created.

If this French-subtitled DVD "La Petite allumeuse" exists, do you have it? Or does anyone else have it?
reptile12

Night457 wrote: If this French-subtitled DVD "La Petite allumeuse" exists, do you have it? Or does anyone else have it?
Oh no that doesn't have subtitles, I was talking about La contre allee since he quoted that but I see now we're in the allumeuse thread :P