[REL] Polnische Ostern (2011)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Polnische Ostern (2011)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

ghost - Can't we just use the .idx and .sub files as is? I know they will load in VLC.

Yes, I agree that .srt is better and SubtitleEdit will convert .sub to .srt ... with OCR and lots of work. For that matter, I see that SubtitleEdit will Import subtitles from an .mkv file, without the need to extract it from the .mkv in a separate step. But if Nasuada has extracted .idx and .sub files, then we have subtitles, which we should be able to use with your video (which many of us already have).

My only concern is the TIMING of the subtitles. Subtitles are easy to sync in SubtitleEdit, but I am not quite sure how that works if you can not see the text because it is a .sub that has not been OCRd. If that involves the Visual sync function, oh boy does THAT have me confused. But I am sure I could figure it out if I had to.

Nasuada - If you are opening the .sub and .idx in something like Notepad, then yes will get cryptic characters that mean nothing to people. It is only in playback with a video that you SEE them. I am not sure that using Handbrake again will do you any good; you will just get .sub files again after you extract them, because that is the subtitle format of the DVD you took them from. I am VERY interested in having English subtitles for this movie, so if you get completely frustrated and feel you must give up, please post your .sub and .idx files here or Private Message me with them and I will see what I can do with them. I am happy to try and help.

But HEY, if you figure it all out yourself that will be great, and you will feel a great deal of pride in your accomplishment. I wish you luck!
jpf

Post by jpf »   1 likes

@ Nasuada:
Please share the .idx and .sub fles you got. I prefer these over the ocr'ed .srt.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:...
I have not done subtitle ripping in years, but I vaguely remember 10 years ago when OCR of subtitles went fairly quickly for me and I wondered why I was having so much trouble now. This current thread reminded me of it. I did some reading here at FLM and some experimenting.

In another thread, emuler suggested the following:
emuler wrote:Convert idx and sub into srt. Many possibilities. I googled and picked a free one.
Go to https://subtitletools.com Upload the sub and idx files obtained [already], select language, and click convert. The free version puts you in a queue, so you have to wait your turn. I waited about 30 minutes.
I tried this and it worked FANTASTICALLY WELL. It only took about 10 minutes for me, I did not have to assist the OCR process at all, and the results were AMAZINGLY ACCURATE. Wow. Thank you emuler, this is awesome.

So then I had to wonder why I was having so much trouble using SubtitleEdit to do the same kind of .sub to .srt conversion. ghost suggested in this thread:
ghost wrote:If you have the .idx and .sub from the DVD: I would recommand to open it in SubtitleEdit and convert it to a .srt.
And I foolishly pooh-poohed that as "lots of work". This bothered me because I know SubtitleEdit is amazing, ghost swears by it and ghost is no fool. He won't do something the hard way if it can be done faster another way. So I MUST NOT BE USING SubtitleEdit the right way.

After loading the .sub file into SubtitleEdit, the WRONG thing to do is to have the OCR method set to "Binary image compare". That takes forever with lots of errors to correct. It is much better to use (for example) "Tesseract 3.02" which goes very fast with only a reasonable number of manual corrections to make, mostly for words that are spelled wrong. Amazing! It is back to the good old days when I could rip subtitles easily.

So thanks again emuler and ghost for the great suggestions, and ghost I am sorry I doubted your suggestion for even a moment. I am once again humbled.
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   2 likes

Ok guys... I got it now. Thanks for your hints. I was not thinking, that this two files can be converted to an .srt File, so that's the point why I didn't make any research around that.

Well I try the Website, but I was on Line 206. So I try another way to and make a search again and found VobSub who's for free.
That tool also convert the .sub File to a working .srt File and the best thing is, you don't need to wait any second. A little manual how you work with it you can found on: https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/ ... o-srt.html

So here it is:
POLNOSTERN.srt
PS: My Movie have a runtime of 1:30:21 (VLC). So if you have the same playtime, you are on a good way to get a perfect matched Subtitle for your file.

Thanks for any help around that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

:thumbsup :clap :dance :icon_1dancingban :onfire

Great! Many thanks!! I have confirmed that it is synced with ghost's file.

I have cleaned this English subtitle file up a little, correcting misspellings and missing spaces. The grammatical "errors" I assume are intentional to show that some of the Poles are not speaking fluent German, so I left them unchanged.
Polnische Ostern (2011).720p.HDTV.en.srt.zip
Really good movie, now made even better for me thanks to Nasuada. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

:thumbsup I'm glad you guys got it to work! ;)
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

ghost wrote::thumbsup I'm glad you guys got it to work! ;)
As am I. :D I don't (usually) download foreign language films without subtitles, so I hadn't downloaded this yet. Downloading now. :D
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

As requested, I will post the IDX and SUB File in the ZIP.
[Image]