[REL] Ein Kolumbus auf der Havel DEFA 1978

deadman

Re: [REL] Ein Kolumbus auf der Havel DEFA 1978

Post by deadman »   0 likes

omg it opens the .mkv file directly! I've always had to write simple AVISynth scripts, DirectShowSource(Whatever), in order to open the files in old school VirtualDub. Thanks for bringing this fine software to our attention! :D

It also opens .m2ts files directly! Including the ones from 4K UHD blu-ray discs. Probably most other formats too. Plus it's got a larger selection of built-in filters. A long overdue upgrade.
theoldmovies

Post by theoldmovies »   0 likes

yoko wrote:Don't have time to make a rip, so here you are...

kolumbus.iso
does it have subtitle?
deadman

theoldmovies wrote:
yoko wrote:Don't have time to make a rip, so here you are...

kolumbus.iso
does it have subtitle?
Nope. One of the problems with a lot of these DEFA films. There are no subtitles even in the native German, to be translated.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   92 likes

AI upscaled to Full HD:
[Image]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.51 Gb]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks for the upgrade, ghost, and thanks to everyone for helping keep the files alive.
jezevex wrote:BTW, this is my # 1 of all movies released here. Hope that it will be aired in HD some time...
I appreciate seeing your recommendation, jezevex! I can't wait to add another DEFA film to the watchlist. You mention this is (maybe was by the time) one of your favorites from flm. Can you list me a few random 2nd or 3rd place films, please?
jezevex

Post by jezevex »   1 likes

Well, Pillowbaker, it's hard to say "while one waits". Generally, I prefer carefree childhood movies like this one or coming-of-age movies about first love. I can't really "enjoy" movies about child abuse, or so, although from time to time I download (or RELease) these as well.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

deadman wrote:omg it opens the .mkv file directly! I've always had to write simple AVISynth scripts, DirectShowSource(Whatever), in order to open the files in old school VirtualDub. Thanks for bringing this fine software to our attention! :D

It also opens .m2ts files directly! Including the ones from 4K UHD blu-ray discs. Probably most other formats too. Plus it's got a larger selection of built-in filters. A long overdue upgrade.
There's also software called AVIDEMUX where you can re-multiplex mkv's/mp4's containing mp4 encoded files to .AVI's (without re-encoding the video itself), then they'll open in older versions of Virtual dub too.
jezevex

Post by jezevex »   1 likes

Quite "interesting" trivia... :D
Spoiler:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027705/trivia/
In a 2016 interview, Susanne Schulze (now Susanne Fienhold Sheen), talked about the casting and the filming of this movie when she was 11 years old. She remembered one day of filming in Ketzin/Havel in particular. "The Ketzin fire department was on set that day because they had to make it rain for a scene," she laughed. "And then it got serious. In front of the whole crew and the firefighters, I had to take off my bathrobe while jumping and ended up naked in the water - this was perhaps embarrassing for me then so close to puberty."
BTW, they re-relased it on DVD last year. It probably makes no sense to order it at https://www.amazon.de/-/dp/B0C7Z9DWHC/ since I doubt that they've made some better digital restoration compared to the 2015 one. But still, I hope that one day they will show it on TV in REAL HD...
deadman

jezevex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:56 amBTW, they re-relased it on DVD last year. It probably makes no sense to order it at https://www.amazon.de/-/dp/B0C7Z9DWHC/ since I doubt that they've made some better digital restoration compared to the 2015 one. But still, I hope that one day they will show it on TV in REAL HD...

The original DVD is excellent quality, as all the DEFA releases seem to be. I don't see how they could improve on it without going to bluray. I'd love to see a bunch of the titles we're familiar with here included in one box set - but whether any of them get released in full HD depends on how well the DVDs have been selling.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:55 am
jezevex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:56 amBTW, they re-relased it on DVD last year. It probably makes no sense to order it at https://www.amazon.de/-/dp/B0C7Z9DWHC/ since I doubt that they've made some better digital restoration compared to the 2015 one. But still, I hope that one day they will show it on TV in REAL HD...

The original DVD is excellent quality, as all the DEFA releases seem to be. I don't see how they could improve on it without going to bluray. I'd love to see a bunch of the titles we're familiar with here included in one box set - but whether any of them get released in full HD depends on how well the DVDs have been selling.
Always look out for defa films on streaming. Many already got remastered/digitized and sometimes they randomly pop up on the DEFA YouTube channel, Netflix or some obscure German streaming services