[REL] Fortuna (2020)

ghost
Site Admin

[REL] Fortuna (2020)

Post by ghost »   76 likes

I found a really extraordinary film from Italy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3358508/
Three children, a faraway planet, a secret they share. And a monster.
[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W344u018AT8

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.37 Gb]

English subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [45.6 Kb]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Fortuna (2020)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

"Three children, a faraway planet, a secret they share. And a monster."

Intriguing film but I don't get the "faraway planet" part of this.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Intriguing film but I don't get the "faraway planet" part of this.
Yeah, I think that was a total red herring (which I completely fell for, as involved in her viewpoint as I was), meant to represent her disconnect from reality and from the adult world as a result of trauma. As in, wouldn't life be grand if I belonged on another planet and was going to be rescued. Or something like that. I was very confused, and honestly had a WTF reaction to the "revelation" at the end. Is that REALLY what it was all about?

I must say the film was VERY effective at being disturbing, creepy and paranoid. ALL the adults behaved in a bizarre fashion. I am still having trouble making sense of the girl's identity-switch and PARENT-switch mid-film. I have heard of multiple-personality-disorder brought on by trauma, but have never heard of multiple-parent-disorder!
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

NOTE: Don't click on the 'Spoiler's if you haven't seen the film... (duhhh..) :lol:

First off: Many thanks to ghost [as usual] for bringing yet another cool [though very odd] movie to FLM! :clap:
Night457 wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Intriguing film but I don't get the "faraway planet" part of this.
Yeah, I think that was a total red herring (which I completely fell for, as involved in her viewpoint as I was), meant to represent her disconnect from reality and from the adult world as a result of trauma. As in, wouldn't life be grand if I belonged on another planet and was going to be rescued. Or something like that. I was very confused, and honestly had a WTF reaction to the "revelation" at the end. Is that REALLY what it was all about?

To me the BIGGEST red herring was this little sequence...
Spoiler:

...played at the beginning and right after mumsy says "I ain't yo mama!":
[Image][Image][Image][Image]

[Image][Image][Image][Image]

I took that as a literal accident that she somehow survived, but with a fractured memory.. :think

The planet stuff I figured she got from the TV show:
[Image][Image]
TABBY STAR: THE ALIEN STAR
Night457 wrote:I must say the film was VERY effective at being disturbing, creepy and paranoid.

I would also restate CONFUSING in bold caps due to the times I had to stop the film and re-watch certain scenes to make sure I saw what I had just seen... :shock: Still, I REALLY liked this movie!
Night457 wrote:...I am still having trouble making sense of the girl's identity-switch and PARENT-switch mid-film. I have heard of multiple-personality-disorder brought on by trauma, but have never heard of multiple-parent-disorder!
Spoiler:

That seemed to occur at around 47:10 into the film when Nancy/Fortuna is in the midst of a dream/daydream sequence and her mom comes up and says: "I am not your mom."
[Image]
I'll have to agree with you there. Just another little oddity thrown in with all the other oddities!!

Again, thanks ghost! FLM'ers: Take a chance and check this film out. Don't just d/load and set it aside! Watch it! :thumbsup

kev.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

kev wrote:NOTE: FLM'ers: Take a chance and check this film out. Don't just d/load and set it aside! Watch it! :thumbsup
kev.
Will do. :thumbsup I guess Fortuna favours the brava. :lol: (okay, okay - just had to get that out of my system. ) :oops:
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Behind the film is the sad story of Fortuna Loffredo, a girl who supposedly died when falling into the void but in reality there was more than that, a hidden story that caused her murder, which is not actually shown on screen. :cry: :cry: :cry:
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote:Behind the film is the sad story of Fortuna Loffredo, a girl who supposedly died when falling into the void but in reality there was more than that, a hidden story that caused her murder, which is not actually shown on screen. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks, Debbie Downer... :roll: This movie was strange, abstract and confusing but NOT downright depressing.... :shock:

Still... NOW you have my curiosity piqued... :think

IS this movie based on a real life tragic event? If you know Sully, please share more facts. If ANY other member might know what Sully is referring to, please share.

The holidays are a tad hectic right now, but if no one has responded when things settle I'll try to do some investigating.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! May 2021 be a much healthier year!

kev.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I don't think Sully23 was being any more of a Debbie Downer than the movie itself. Just watching it does not necessarily make things clear, but the Italian text (and English subtitles) before the final scene spells out pretty bluntly the supposed real-world inspiration for the movie.

In case anyone missed it, or forgot it, or blocked it from their memory, or absolutely HAS to spoil the end of a movie before watching it, this is from the English subtitle translation:
Spoiler:

On June 24th 2014, Fortuna Loffredo fell down the roof of a building in Caivano, in the province of Naples. She was six years old. The autopsy stated that Fortuna had been undergoing sexual abuse and her fall had not been accidental. On July 7th 2017, a neighbor was sentenced to life for the murder of Fortuna. The man used to abuse the daughters of his partner as well, and she was sentenced to ten years for covering up the abuses. Fortuna's death allowed the reopening of Antonio Giglio's case. He had fallen from a balcony of the same building when he was four. At the time, the case was closed out as a domestic accident. The woman serving time for Fortuna's death has been accused of the murder of Antonio. Her own son. Several cases of child abuse in the same neighborhood have come to light. For these crimes, criminal proceedings are underway.
Someone could easily have an entirely different interpretation of the movie without that wall of text. I know that I certainly did. I was referring specifically to this when I said:
Night457 wrote:I was very confused, and honestly had a WTF reaction to the "revelation" at the end. Is that REALLY what it was all about?
But of course I did not want to be too explicit and spoil the movie for others. The SPOILER tag above is well-earned.
Oh, I almost forgot: Merry Christmas everyone!
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

I'm not ruining the movie by giving a spoiler, just as anyone who reads it will want to see it.

I am sensitive to tragic events, throughout the film it only seemed like a story that seemed to have been created in the mind of the screenwriter but in the end I saw that it was not like that.
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

The girl looking interesting, especially on the movie poster. I will put it on my list. Thanks.
[Image]