[REL] Domenica (2001)

David32441

Re: [REL] Domenica (2001)

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

FYI - encoding settings I use are:
I rarely rip - but now it's easier to use DVD Shrink and have it do a full disc backup to your HDD.
I used this guide to get started 20 odd years ago... https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archiv ... orphic.cfm
Audacity to up the audio levels. Often DVD audio is very low (to allow for dynamic range, ie. very loud bangs)... but is often too low (unlike say Youtube adverts) and won't spike above a very low -3Db. Digital audio can be pushed to -0.1 without clipping, but I tend to use -0.9Db. This is loud without being harsh-loud. Then save the WAV. WAV -> MP3 at 160kbit via RazorLame (if 128kbit is minimum CD quality, then 160kbit should be fine).
Topaz the video... Importantly don't final encode the video in Topaz - so encode to MP4 at a super-high quality setting of 1-4 (depending on the Gigabytes you want to make the temp file!!) If the DVD has interlacing I deinterlace in VirtualDub - saving it out as an uncompressed AVI (about 200GB). If you Deinterlace in Topaz you limit your options on what filters you can use. Importantly encode in Topaz to a high quality file (eg quality =4), and do the final video encode in Handbrake.
Topaz for me is slow on my 1660, 6gb RAM card a DVD -> 720p runs about 0.3seconds per frame or 8 hours per hour of film!
Handbrake: Filters=none. Video tab: Framerate="same as source + constant". Constant quality 18.5q (or 21 for 1080p). Profile: Main. No encoding tune (film increases the file size, but i can't see the benefit). Level 4.1 (otherwise it won't play on some hardware). Slow (otherwise some psycho-visual enhancements aren't enabled... so I read). Average bitrate and 2pass turned off. The speed seems to affect filesize more than visual appearance. You gain about 10% from SLOW -> VERY FAST.
Extra options "vbv-maxrate=5500:vbv-bufsize=1500" (video limit of 5500kbit with a 1500kbit buffer. This stops the video spiking to 1mb+/second on scenes that we don't care about, moving water, fast panning, and would not even see the noise). I tested a "moving water" scene and got 13mb for 15seconds with it off. 8mb for 15seconds with it on... could barely see a difference.
I don't know how "experts" get 720p films down to 750mb and make them look decent! But I am very pleased with the above settings.
Last edited by David32441 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

David32441 wrote:Anyone know - if connecting through a VPN does eMule automatically work through that VPN or is it just connecting "openly" in default mode? I know there's a eMule setup page - but way too technical for me! I couldn't find this simple answer.
I think that depends on how the VPN is configured. If you've configured your browser to run through a VPN, then only the browser will work with the VPN. Emule will be direct.
If you've configured the VPN for a network adapter - eg. your WiFi adapter - then everything will go through the VPN.
Note though that eMule through a VPN will always have LowID.
emuler

Post by emuler »   42 likes

David32441 wrote:... ok I'm trying to upload the whole movie to Mega, 7zipped into 650mb chunks (for 1.75gb) - after that if people can share it on eMule too please.

part 1 - https://mega.nz/file/FJhElYpb#KY9Cohpxy ... O4WaCsKaz4
part 2 - https://mega.nz/file/FJh0EADK#YLo6JtPCT ... K9eJCa1hZE
part 3 - https://mega.nz/file/VNx0XKLZ#JoLjk22T0 ... jEy6dfkH8s
Downloaded and shared. Thanks, David32441. Note that I have LowID. You must have HighID to download anything from me. :(
Has English soft subs. :D
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.71 Gb]
Last edited by emuler on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

If that link doesn't work, let me know a good host, or if it's possible to upload them to the forum. Thought i'd seen someone do that with another subtitle?
Mega of course is great and it worked for me. If you want to put small files (like subtitles) in a post, click Post Reply or Full Editor & Preview, scroll down and click Attachments under the Post you are editing, click Add files, scroll to the file on your computer and select it, then click Add inline and it will show up in your post. And so, here are David32441's English and Italian subtitles:
Domenica-subtitles.zip
Anyone logged in can download it by clicking on the link. I use this method frequently when I am providing subtitles for someone else's release. Sometimes I also eMule it, or the original poster will take it and add an eMule link of the subtitle to their post.

Your screenshots look FANTASTIC and I look forward to downloading your video, which seems to me a perfectly reasonable size for 720p. Now that User emuler has shared it, that is how I will get it.

THANK YOU David32441, and now emuler!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Sorry, guys.. I couldn't be online for three days. Therefore my late reply :(

Thanks a lot for the 720p version of the movie! Looks pretty good. :thumbsup

Also a big thanks for the subs. I will work on then, when I got some spare time.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   2 likes

Anyone know - if connecting through a VPN does eMule automatically work through that VPN or is it just connecting "openly" in default mode? I know there's a eMule setup page - but way too technical for me! I couldn't find this simple answer.
Yes, all connections should go through the VPN tunnel.

But important to get a´high ID: You should choose a VPN service which allows port forwarding. They are pretty rare. AirVPN should be a good choice,
cabraass

Post by cabraass »   0 likes

Thanks!!!
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

ghost wrote:You should choose a VPN service which allows port forwarding. They are pretty rare. AirVPN should be a good choice,
Good to know. AirVPN is a bit pricey for me though - it would triple my monthly internet bill.
David32441

ghost wrote:Sorry, guys.. I couldn't be online for three days. Therefore my late reply :(

Thanks a lot for the 720p version of the movie! Looks pretty good. :thumbsup

Also a big thanks for the subs. I will work on then, when I got some spare time.
The DVD came with only Italian subtitles.
When I used SubRip 1.4 I recall a lot of the capital "i's" were identical to lowercase "l's" on the subtitles. Think I caught them all before taking it into Google translate to get the subtitles into English. I imagine there's a few dozen or more grammatical errors where a native English person would laugh at the words google picked - but it's timed and watchable.
David32441

emuler wrote:
David32441 wrote:... ok I'm trying to upload the whole movie to Mega, 7zipped into 650mb chunks (for 1.75gb) - after that if people can share it on eMule too please.

part 1 - https://mega.nz/file/FJhElYpb#KY9Cohpxy ... O4WaCsKaz4
part 2 - https://mega.nz/file/FJh0EADK#YLo6JtPCT ... K9eJCa1hZE
part 3 - https://mega.nz/file/VNx0XKLZ#JoLjk22T0 ... jEy6dfkH8s
Downloaded and shared. Thanks, David32441. Note that I have LowID. You must have HighID to download anything from me. :(
Has English soft subs. :D
Domenica_18-5q_5-5k-limit.mkv
Thanks for picking it up and making it available. Can't believe it's a 20 year old film now.
Oh - and can you rename it to put the year in it "Domenica (2001).mkv". If Domenica = Sunday then there's going to be a lot of puzzled people wondering what the file is! Some church service maybe? :D