[REL] Kapsalon Romy (2019)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Kapsalon Romy (2019)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

jpf wrote:I keep a record (a .txt file) of every movie I watched since 2007, each with a brief review & plot summary by myself (not exceeding 254 characters). This is useful at avoiding downloading stuff twice (but not fool-proof).
My response in a SPOILER so I do not take up so much page-space on a non-movie post:
Spoiler:

This is a VERY good idea, and the sort of the thing that appeals to me as perfectly logical. I used to take my list-making to extremes. However, I have spent the last few decades trying to CURB my obsessive tendencies, with limited success. Part of it involves not allowing myself to make lists! Fortunately, my inherent LAZINESS helps to combat my obsessiveness ...
I sometimes download movies with Chinese hardcoded subtitles, in the hope that I'll be able to OCR + machine-translate them.
Wait ... are you able to read Chinese at all, and have a Chinese-text keyboard so you can make corrections? Or are you doing this TOTALLY dependent on the accuracy of the OCR!l?!?? If the latter, I want to KNOW what OCR software you are using that does Chinese THAT well!
Recoding a 90' h265 1080p movie into h264 540p usually takes 48 to 36 hours using ffmpeg,
That is a CRAZY long period of time!
and the outcome is not good enough
Well, I can see that part of the problem is that you not just changing the codec (H265 to H264) but you are lowering the resolution (1080p down to 540p), so it should only be expected that it will not look as good. I was only doing a codec change.
My processor is an AMD 1 core 32 bit Sempron from 2005 w/ 2 GB ram. My screen is a 15' CRT.
Ah, NOW I see. Your computer is even older than mine! Anyway, ffmpeg is a workhorse and is used as the basis for other software. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is only usable on the command line, right? This is what keeps me from using it, because I know that I will type one wrong character and get a big fat zero as a result. I need a GUI! I need to click buttons! People who are command-line proficient really impress me.

Back 18 months ago I was using XMedia Recode with just standard settings. After a while I began experimenting with the many, many different choices of settings and got better results. However, eventually I had problems with it crashing, possibly because my computer was not powerful enough for all the setting options I was throwing at it. In your case, perhaps an earlier version of the program will work. Maybe.

Lately I have been using Avidemux. It is partly based on ffmpeg and supposedly can be used on the command line (although I have not tried that). It gives me results I want without crashing. It was mostly trial-and-error until I found quality settings that I like without making a ridiculously large file.

I am dissatisfied with my Kapsalon Romy recode because I unknowingly bit-starved the result and got a SMALLER H264 file, when H265 is more efficiently compressed and should be the smaller file for the same quality. Mine would probably look GREAT on a smaller TV, but on my big TV I can see some pixelization.

Disclaimer: I kept the same personal computer from 1990 to 2007 and stayed OFFLINE until then, when I upgraded to something that would actually be effective on the WWW. I downloaded and watched videos on it and ripped DVDs with standard software, but did not try any real video processing. I did not even know how to resync subtitles!! I had to download the correct ones!! Then I upgraded again in 2014 when that computer fried. My point is that I do NOT have real experience with your era of computer, so I do not really know what to expect as far as video processing on it goes. I do not even know if my recommended software would work on it. I wish I could be more of a help.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   25 likes

Here is the Dutch language H264 1080p recode I mentioned. With optional English subtitles, synced.
It has some pixelization but generally looks good. Personally, I will keep waiting for popdrome's original Dutch language H265 release to show up complete, but this one should do for the anxious.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1001.97 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [45.4 Kb]

And here is one JUST for those who like their files small and simply coded. I found it as is on a torrent.
Dutch language H264 404p, with optional English subtitles, synced.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [488.84 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [45.4 Kb]

Mostly I will be sharing low speed, High ID. This weekend I expect to switch for some hours to a high speed, Low ID connection. If my emule cooperates, then High ID users can get it much faster then.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

@ Night457:
Spoiler:

Thanks for sharing your encode and the 404p one. I'll keep waiting for popdrome's file, but maybe also download one of yours so to have a preview, and eventually cancel the h265 file download if the movie doesn't look worth it.
are you able to read Chinese at all, and have a Chinese-text keyboard so you can make corrections?
No, and no.
are you doing this TOTALLY dependent on the accuracy of the OCR!l?!??
Absolutelly.
I want to KNOW what OCR software you are using that does Chinese THAT well!
It's a cracked version of "ABBYY FineReader 12 Professional". Impressive support of Asian languages. 12 is the last version that can run on Windows XP 32 bit (my OS). I think the latest version is 15, but I can't try it so I don't know if it's any better.
ffmpeg... is only usable on the command line, right?
There are a few GUIs available. Currently I use FFmpegYAG:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpegyag/
It's aimed at recoding, so it only uses a subset of ffmpeg command line switches / arguments.
For more specific processing you must use the command line.
I know that I will type one wrong character and get a big fat zero as a result.

Same here. Didn't mess with ffmpeg a lot so lately I just use the GUI. But the problem stands for most command line programs. So I keep a txt file with command line templates that I edit and paste on the cmd window.
Lately I have been using Avidemux.
Thanks for the advice ! Yeah, I have it but I've only used it for demux / remux / split / join. I'll give it a try on recoding. My weak point is how to tweak the settings according to the input material ? The preprocessing I think I can grasp (deinterlacing, filtering, scaling, cropping, etc.) but not the codec settings. I mostly rely on presets. When recoding h265 into h264 I use a preset that would give me a file about twice the size of the original.
Night457
Global Moderator

@jpf:
Spoiler:

jpf wrote:... if the movie doesn't look worth it.
!?!?!?!

Madness. This movie is terrific. I understood the movie even without the subtitles because of the marvelously expressive acting of the two leads. The little girl's narration tells what she is thinking, but it is completely written on her face anyway. Someone with no sympathy for a granddaughter-grandmother relationship might be bored, however.
There are a few GUIs available. Currently I use FFmpegYAG:
Thanks! That could be fun to try.
So I keep a txt file with command line templates that I edit and paste on the cmd window.
That is absolutely what I have to do when I am stuck using cmd, unless it is the most simple of commands, like what I remember from navigating through folders with DOS.
The preprocessing I think I can grasp (deinterlacing, filtering, scaling, cropping, etc.) but not the codec settings.
I am especially fond of Filters / Sharpness / MPlayer delogo2 in order to blur out obnoxious TV logos.
I mostly rely on presets. When recoding h265 into h264 I use a preset that would give me a file about twice the size of the original.
From what I have read that is correct: H265 will be roughly half the size of H264 with the same quality. It saves space, or gives higher quality with the same space.

If you want to FORCE the result to be a specific size, then in Avidemux try this:
Video Output: Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
Configure: General / Rate Control / Encoding Mode: Video Size (Two Pass)
Target Video Size: however much bigger you want to allow it to be! The result will be close.

Output Format: Mkv Muxer

However, the standard presets with no configuration produce good results, so just living with the larger size is probably necessary if you want the same quality.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
emuler wrote:If you're lucky....
Yeah, I wasn't. When it is just extra video before the body of the film, that just takes repositioning the start of the audio and is easy. The one time where I was trying an audio remux on a video where the body of the film was a very different length (a whole 4 minutes), my multiple attempts at stretching or compressing took DAYS of processing time and several junked results, after my hours of reading Google results to learn HOW to do it. People were not forthcoming with instructions. It turned out the best advice was "Don't do it." My experience soured me on attempting it even in a case that ought to be easy, with only a 4 second difference.

Syncing subtitles is so much easier! Doing A/V stretch/compress can "damage" the results. With warped audio I can hear distortion, and with warped or stuttering video I can see it. I can lip-read SEE when I HEAR audio that is only 1/10 of a second out of sync. Subtitles off by that much does not bother me.

Anyway, since you say you HAVE had success with different-length A/V resync, I will try it again sometime on something "easy" - once I have waited long enough to forget the pain.
No, that was not what I meant. I used that information to adjust the subtitles. IIRC Subtitle Workshop (and others) allows you to type in the time stamp of the first spoken line and the last spoken line, and the app adjusts all the timings accordingly.
Where this approach falls down is when the video is actually a different cut - theatrical, directors, extended, edited for TV, ... that kind of thing. That is guaranteed to drive you nuts. :wall :icon_1idiot :icon_evil2
Jacen

Post by Jacen »   1 likes

I'm sharing popdrome's file.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

@ Night457: Thanks for the directions on using Avidemux. I'll give it a try.
@ Jacen: Thanks! I have it complete now. I guess I got most of it from you.
Night457
Global Moderator

Jacen wrote:I'm sharing popdrome's file.
Yes! Thank you! I have it complete now and will also continue to share it. I noticed several other people were getting it also.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

emuler wrote:No, that was not what I meant.
Well NO wonder I was confused! I was jumping from topic to topic (H265, audio, subtitles) in long posts so I misunderstood what you were responding to.

I use Subtitle Edit to do the subtitle adjust all the time, including for frame rate differences. My only problem with doing that on some H265 files is that if the playback is so messed up on my computer that I can not even identify where the first and last spoken lines ARE, because it keeps pausing, stuttering, and blooming out with static. I can't play all the scenes or see the subtitles! The H265 file plays fine on my TV, but I can't run Subtitle Edit on my blu-ray player! That's all I meant.
Where this approach falls down is when the video is actually a different cut - theatrical, directors, extended, edited for TV, ... that kind of thing. That is guaranteed to drive you nuts.
Yes, it did! There was a release I did earlier this year where I spent a few hours trying to figure out why the subtitles refused to stay re-synced, until I realized I was doing it on a video with additional footage!! I was so stubborn and irritated that I spent several MORE hours following the subtitle playback line by line, and readjusting it forward every time a few more seconds of footage showed up. This was continually throughout the film! Then I released it with a disclaimer that there were a few unsubtitled lines here and there.

Lots of fun.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   0 likes

The star is double the age I usually go for, but she looks pretty cute nonetheless!

Downloading now and will respond with my review once watched!

Thanks all :D
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!