Android 5 eMule client?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
jpf

Android 5 eMule client?

Post by jpf »   0 likes

I'd like to use my Android 5 Sony Xperia phone to download from eMule, mostly because my metered connection at home makes it quite expensive to download using my PC, while using my phone I can use a few free WiFi access points at places I use to go.

I tried "Free Mule for Android" by a-pablov and was unable to get it to download anything. Maybe it's a config problem (I'm quite ignorant about Android OS). The configuration seems simple and I followed all help instructions to the point. All seems to fit but it doesn't work.

I experienced these problems:
1- Upon connecting to a server (any server) it briefly shows "Connecting" but then it dosn't show the connected state anywhere, so I don't konw if it actually did connect or it didn't.
2- Touching any of the emule links on FLM brings up the app but the link isn't shown in the Transfers window or anywhere.
3- Touching "Add all links to your eMule client" I once got the first link to show in the Transfers window, but just that time; further attemps did nothing.
4- That link successfully added seems right but the Status field shows "Stalled". Touching the "Resume" menu item has no effect.
5- After closing and opening again the graphic interfase the link dissapeared from the Transfers window and I wasn't able to paste it up again by touching "Add all links to your eMule client". The app seems to stay working in the background when no GUI is shown because I had to force it to stop ("Forzar detención" in my Spanish Android OS) before unninstaling it.

I didn't try any other app on the hope of first getting some advice here.

Can any of you point out a better app? Or help configuring Free Mule? Thanks in advance !

By the way, uTorrent works just fine in my phone, even better than Direct Downloads using Chrome...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Android 5 eMule client?

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I didn't even know there was an Android client. The links on FLM are all standard ed2k links that have worked with every eMule client on every OS that I know about so the issue has to be in your client.

Anyone have any ideas?
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

Update:

Good news! I tried another edk2 client and it seems to work!

It's "Mule on Android" by a-pablov (to be found at Play Store). It's free but contains ads.

It successfully downloaded the file "Engel (2020)1080p.5.1.srt" posted by gost.

I'll try downloading something huge to see if it really works as expected. It may take some time even if it's well seeded because the free WiFi points I can access have low bandwidth, and I can't stay connected very long.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

jpf wrote:It may take some time even if it's well seeded because the free WiFi points I can access have low bandwidth, and I can't stay connected very long.
That may be your biggest problem since you have lowid and always will and that means an ed2k server has to mediate your connection. It will also take longer to move up in anyone's queue, especially since every time you drop off a wifi AP you start over. Still, one man's low bandwidth is another's blazing fast - before I got fiber, 20k download was super-fast.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

Oh, I see. Let's address one problem at a time.

-lowid
This app has a "Port forwarding" checkbox. Help says the router must have UPnP activated. Assuming this works, how do I check / test it? The app doesn't have a "test ports" button / link / whatever. Is it possible to do it from the browser? If so, what url:port ? arguments should I type in the address / search textbox?

-server mediation
What's the fastest server, then?
Besides, I thought server mediation would take place only if both parts are unable to forward ports (i.e. have lowid?). I guess most seeders here have their ports forwarded?

-queue
Would I climb up to the top quickly just because my username is "jpf-FLM "?
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

jpf wrote: -lowid
This app has a "Port forwarding" checkbox. Help says the router must have UPnP activated. Assuming this works, how do I check / test it? The app doesn't have a "test ports" button / link / whatever. Is it possible to do it from the browser? If so, what url:port ? arguments should I type in the address / search textbox?
Log into the settings page of your router and look at the UPNP settings there. On my home network I have to type 192.168.1.1 in my browser. You might need to do something else. http://www.portforward.com is a great resource - look for instructions for your router model in there. They'll try to get you to buy stuff but you don't have to - the instructions are free.
jpf wrote: -server mediation
What's the fastest server, then?
Besides, I thought server mediation would take place only if both parts are unable to forward ports (i.e. have lowid?). I guess most seeders here have their ports forwarded?
Doesn't always work. I have LowID, and am usually connected to eMule Security No. 1. I've been on Emule for 100 days now, and I've never seen a LowID client. Us LowID guys really need HighID guys to act as go-betweens.
jpf wrote: -queue
Would I climb up to the top quickly just because my username is "jpf-FLM "?
Some eMule clients give you a small boost if the source you are queued up with has the same tag as you. If I see a client downloading from me with an FLM tag or a username I recognise, I add him to my friends list, which works even better. However, if you have LowID, I won't see you at all as I too have LowID.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

That won't work for me, since the whole point of using my phone here is to use free WiFi access points. There are a bunch of them all along downtown, shops, hospitals, etc., but I don't have access to their routers.

Even if I were to use my WiFi connection at home I can't access the router settings because what I have here isn't a real router but a dumb ONT fiber terminal. (i.e. it's a ZTE f660 hardware with special firmware). The real router is part of the ISP's hardware / software and located into their facilities. There are basically 2 settings I can tamper: WiFi name & password.

There's a way around it, however: you call the ISP service staff and request that they switch the ONT from Lan mode to Bridge mode (they do it in their facilities, there's no way to do it from outside). This way you lose the WiFi and Lan interfases and you get a Wan interfase on Lan1 Ethernet connector. You then connect a regular (user supplied) router to this Wan port and build you own Lan to your requirements, which of course must implement the port redirection your eMule client wants.

Fortunately UPnP seems to be enabled by default for the WiFi interfase of the ONT ! (But it isn't for the Lan interfase.) So when I installed eMule on my WiFi connected laptop (recently bought but ancient, a refurbished Dell from 2006) the ports test was successful without the need for manual port redirection.

I don't know how many people here are aware of this. Not even the ISP tech people seems to know. I say this because I worked 43 years in the state radio & tv network as a technician and had extensive contact with the ISP tech people.
I have LowID
Then I guess I won't be downloading at high speed from you...
If I see a client downloading from me with an FLM tag or a username I recognise, I add him to my friends list, which works even better.
That's what I hoped for. Now if finally the UPnP port redirection works on the free access points I get to connect to, it remains to see how much boost I get by being added to the source's friends list.

The problem of not being able to stay connected for long remains. Even at home the ISP changes mi IP dinamically at least once every 24 hours (sometimes more often). If I reset the ONT manually (reset by software won't work) I always get the same IP I had before resetting. That's a mixed blessing, because this way I can't cheat filehosters' download limit.

So, to round up, my chances of getting this to work are very low. But I won't give up yet. For now I'll try what I have and hope to get more tips / input from experienced members.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

You will always have lowid on your phone precisely because you can't forward ports. All traffic in and out of a computer comes through ports, for instance 80 for http and 21 for FTP. These are open by default, and 'non-standard' ports are closed by default. Ports can range from 0 to 65535 and the first 1024 are reserved for "standard" traffic. eMule uses two ports above 1024, one for TCP and the other for UDP. In order to connect directly to another eMule client, those two ports can't be blocked in the router, the thing that communicates your device's traffic into the internet. If they are blocked, you get lowid and your eMule client can't talk directly to another client, it has to talk to a server which then talks to the other client. Since you have no access to the free wifi router, you can't forward (open) any of its non-standard ports so you're just SOL.

I also have fiber and since I was the first in my town to connect to it, and I'm a tech and helped troubleshoot it for them, my ISP's techs gave me an outward-facing IP that let me have highid. Over time, those techs left the ISP which realized I was getting something without paying for it and put me back into their IP pool so now I have lowid unless I pay -- lots. Frankly, I don't have a problem waiting for downloads - been doing it for years - and I could GAS about how fast I upload (it's still pretty fast) to people who aren't paying my bills, so I never upgraded back to my own IP.

I think your phone emule will sort of work but it will take forever to download anything complete. It's certainly not the best solution unless it's the only way you can get internet.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

My upload speed is set to 2500 kB/s (about 20 Mbps, and on the rare occasions when someone finds me, I have uploaded at that speed - steady and stable), but my eMule is mostly sitting idle because I have LowID and other LowID users can't find me. Downloading anything shared by ghost and a couple of others is a very pleasant experience because they have HighID and a fast connection. I'm trying to talk to my ISP about getting HighID, but the trouble is that I have to talk to low level dumbasses who don't have a frigging clue about what I want. :wall :wall :wall :icon_1idiot I think my ISP's corporate plan has it, but that costs a bundle, so I'm in the same boat as Phuzzy.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

My upload queue is rarely full but it always has 10 or more, so I know people are finding me. ISP's no longer give each user their own IP's because the world is running out of them (hence IPv6), especially with every refrigerator and coffee pot getting "smart". They have to pay for every IP they use so they put customers in a pool - like your router has one outward-facing IP but you can have 253 IP's inward-facing (0 and 255 are reserved). If you want your own outward-facing IP, one you can set up to forward ports, you have to pay for it, and like emuler said, they're expensive. My ISP charges around $30 more per month extra for it and I expect that to go up. Frankly, it's not worth it to me - I can download fine, it just takes longer, and if others want to download from me they can pay part of the bill, which isn't going to happen.