Re: [REL] Zaliniya (2019)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks, jez!

Unfortunatly another movie with no subtitles anywhere. :(
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Thank you jezevex! I was too slow and you beat me to it. I have no problem with that! I've watched this film a couple times already. This is a pretty good movie, rather melancholy in tone but ultimately hopeful. (?) By paying attention I was able to figure out most of what was going on (first viewing) without knowledge of Russian, subtitles or even a synopsis. By the way, the Youtube video gives the option for 1080p, so it is probably not a lot worse quality than the emule link. It should be noted that the Youtube link gives a synopsis that pretty much spoils the entire film! I am glad you did not do a bare quote of it in the post. It may be better to read it after watching if you don't like spoilers.

The part of the synopsis that only sets up the plot:
Spoiler:

Alina is a five years old girl, whose mother has gone down with a terrible illness. The girl's father decides that Alina should live with his sister to avoid exposing the girl to her mother's suffering. Irma - Alina's aunt - has three children. Two of them are the same age as Alina. Living in Irma's house proves to be quite a challenge for the little girl. For a city child it is hard to get used to living in the country....
[Editor's note: Alina is actually more likely about 7 years old, and her cousins are near her same age. The movie begins in 1990.]
WARNING! The REST of the synopsis that gives away the ending:
Spoiler:

... But, eventually, she finds her place and is accepted. However, dreams of coming home and her mother's wellbeing never leave her head. One morning, in spring, her father comes back. But not to take her home. He brings the news of her mother passing away, he says that he is seeing another woman and can't take Alina home right now. Very early in her life, Alina is betrayed by those she trusted the most and finds a new family.
WARNING! Finally, at the end of the movie there is text saying what happens to the children later in life. Here it is roughly translated from Russian, with character descriptions added:
Spoiler:

In July 1991 it was hot.
The children went swimming every day.

A month later, the country's leadership
announced the creation of the
State Emergency Committee (GKCHP).

In 2001, Toshka (light blonde sister) entered
the Theatre Institute. Now she teaches
Acting at the House of Art.

Lanka (darker blonde / light brunette sister) graduated from the Moscow
Schnittke Institute of Music in
Saxophone. She plays in a jazz quartet.

Svetka Lykova (red-haired neighbor)
got married to a rich man.
She lives in Moscow.

Oksana (dark-haired neighbor) graduated from the
Agricultural Academy. She works as a
catering technologist.

Maksya (little boy neighbor) is opening a small business,
something like a car service.
He graduated from military school.
His whereabouts are unknown.

Alina (our heroine) became a famous playwright,
and films are being made from her scripts.
gehn

Post by gehn »   3 likes

credit to Night457 for the English epilogue.

only rudimentary editing of Deepl (a lot I couldn't make sense of, including both uses of "За лини" (Za lini) wrt trains)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

gehn, I love you! Thank you so much!
ghost
Site Admin

gehn wrote:credit to Night457 for the English epilogue.

only rudimentary editing of Deepl (a lot I couldn't make sense of, including both uses of "За лини" (Za lini) wrt trains)
Cool! Thank you!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I finally had time to work on the English subtitles.

Thanks a lot to gehn for doing the basic work. It saved me much time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

:icon_thumbsup
aisa

Post by aisa »   1 likes

ghost wrote:I finally had time to work on the English subtitles. They should be pretty perfect now.

Thanks a lot to gehn for doing the basic work. It saved me much time.
Ahhhh!! :( I don't have energy to mince words here.
There are so many problems in this version, which were not issues in the first English version.
TL;DR: skip to red text for the absolutely horrible one..

#164 (27:10)
Original: I'm going to get offended (correct grammar)
your update: I'll going to be offended ("I will going to" is never correct English)

#237 (34:49)
Original: "There's your papa again."
your update: "An dad..."

The girl clearly says more than 2 broken words in the audio and finishes her sentence (no ellipsis). Also, "An dad" is never valid English. You would write "A dad", but that would make pretty much zero sense for the context/audio.

(The sense I gleaned from Опять папа ваш was a sardonic "That's him doing what he does.")

#238 (34:51)
Original: Did you go to her?
your update: Did he went there, too?

Your sense might be correct here, but "Did he went" is not valid English. (It would be "Did he go..")

The original rendered the name Макся -> Maxya. The space you added (Max ya) looks confusing, because both of those are informal words in spoken English. It probably should've been written Maksya/Maks, consistent with "Oksya" elsewhere (avoiding an implied nickname of Ox).

#592/593 (1:20:13, our numberings differ)
Original: Also, the girls were conjuring yesterday.
your update: And the girls were wondering yesterday.

When I worked on that line I had to research гадали in order to find the correct sense, as all of the machine translators render it "guessing/wondering" as you did -- which makes no sense in context.

Google it, you'll find this subject all over the results:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D0 ... 0%B8%D1%8F

Title: Fortune-telling.
You see the images in the article of conjuring spirits -- which is precisely what the girls were doing, imitating what they had spied in the barn yesterday.
If you need to see the exact spelling гадали, it's used in the religious section of the article, where it quotes 2 Kings 17:17, translating divination/witchcraft (Hebrew קֶסֶם) to our word гадали.

Your version butchers that sense. Did you just re-machine-translate the whole thing and lose all my work?? I have a bad personality lately and this is just frustrating and aggravating. I know you do a lot here and you don't deserve to be attacked.

In some other parts your version is clearer (and possibly more accurate) than mine.

I'm tired and nervous to finish proofreading thoroughly. I don't want to know how much more of my work was lost/butchered. (If I do later, I'll come back and edit this post..if the forum permits).

People should just know that the two subtitles are different and it's not an unequivocal improvement.
I apologize for writing like this.
ghost
Site Admin

Damn.. after reading your response I have to admit, that I did various mistakes with the subtitles. Be sure, it wasn't my intention to destroy other people's work. Maybe I should have watched the movie with my subtitles first before posting them as 'final'.

Your reply isn't very friendly, but nethertheless I thank you, so I can correct my mistakes. I will do them again, considering your corrections.
...and lose all my work??
Was it you, who did the English translation? I'm asking because the subs weren't posted by you.
The space you added (Max ya) looks confusing
This happened with the error auto-correction by SubtitleEdit.... :(