[REL] His Dark Materials (2019) Tv Series

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] His Dark Materials (2019) Tv Series

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Wow, Phuzzy, I am sorry you are so mad about this! I can certainly appreciate your frustration, and your desire to have a story with a conclusion. I can't argue with that! But we must blame author Pullman for writing it like that, and not the BBC producers for sticking to one season per book. They did manage to do the equivalent of a nearly six-hour feature film heavily laden with CGI effects in the space of one year, and that is a pretty reasonable accomplishment by Hollywood standards.

And keep in mind that the typical British television series is around SIX episodes. Shows like Dr. Who with 12 episodes in a season are LONG. It was really jarring to encounter that difference when I grew up on American TV with (as you said) 23 episodes per season. Boy were we spoiled by that!

I have no plans to read the novels, but if you would like I could read the Wikipedia "Cliffs Notes" version of the third book, and then report back to FLM on whether or not the story has an actual conclusion. My memory has gotten pretty bad recently, so I probably won't remember any spoilers by next November. Of course that is assuming that they are actually able to resume production soon: coronavirus restrictions are lifted on filming, cast and crew get vaccinated and are still alive, etc. I know I certainly don't want to watch any movies or TV series where the actors are in surgical masks the whole time. I will stick to vintage films instead.

I think your decision to wait until you can binge watch to the end makes perfect sense, and it is something that I like to do myself when I can. I just don't have the self-discipline you have, apparently. I just say, "I'm alive and conscious now, so I will watch what I've got."
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   12 likes

I'm not mad at you, I didn't know the BBC's "season" is only 1/3 as long as the U.S.' so the sudden halt really grated on me. What do they do the other 16 weeks? Rerun the same episodes two more times each?

Looks like four books, not three, but the 4th is an offshoot, not directly in the regular story path. It'll probably be a couple months before I get a chance to read them - I have about 20 books ahead of them and usually only read a book a week. The books are probably better than the screen version anyway.

Note: I have not read any of these yet but they appear authentic.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.84 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.14 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.11 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.63 Mb]
Night457
Global Moderator

Phuzzy4242 wrote:I'm not mad at you
I didn't think you were! Just peeved at the cutoff. That's fine, you can vent!
Phuzzy4242 wrote:What do they do the other 16 weeks? Rerun the same episodes two more times each?
I have wondered that myself - I have never looked into BBC programming schedules other than for the few programs I like - which I have only watched through blu-ray, Netflix or download anyway. I just assumed they broadcast totally different shows in the slot: 6 weeks of A, 12 weeks of B, 8 weeks of C, then maybe repeat A again... Another odd thing they do is start their episodes at strange times -- 7:10 one week, 7:40 the next, then 7:25. Another reason just to download even if you live in the U.K. It has to be a lot of trouble to be tied to the British version of TV Guide just to find your shows!
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Looks like four books, not three, but the 4th is an offshoot, not directly in the regular story path. It'll probably be a couple months before I get a chance to read them - I have about 20 books ahead of them and usually only read a book a week. The books are probably better than the screen version anyway.
No doubt! I did not know about the 4th book, probably because I avoided reading ahead in the Wikipedia entries so as not to spoil anything major. I was pretty proud of myself this year when I finally caught up on my backlog of unread books for only the second time in 30 years. I have nothing left to read, woohoo! A few years ago I realized I had finally forgotten the books I read in high school enough that I can finally start rereading them ... so that I don't feel it was pointless having saved them all these years ... :oops:
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I use a program called eBoox on my iPhone - it can use just about any format - txt, pdf, doc, rtf, mobi, etc. I have thousands of books from eMule downloads that I'll almost certainly never have time enough to read. I'll be like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough At Last". :lol:
Night457
Global Moderator

Just be sure to get a spare pair of spectacles ...
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:Season TWO is now airing on BBC, HBO, Amazon, Hulu and Uloz.

Code: Select all

https://ulozto.net/hledej?type=videos&q=his+dark+materials+S02
The third and final season is officially confirmed. Filming is supposed to occur in 2021, when Dafne will be 16 (a little old for the character, as previously noted).

Code: Select all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2020/his-dark-materials-series-three-commission

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/his-dark-materials-renewed-for-third-and-final-season-at-hbo-bbc
Often for films they cast small, older actresses because they'll give better, more mature performances than a child of a younger age. Also, in Western productions there's strict rules on the hours they can work per day, teens can work more hours than younger children who need on-set schooling.
Going back to the Hollywood of yester-year they'd even strictly control the diet of their starlets.
Gary Coleman of Diff'rent Strokes - they liked him as he stayed looking young!
I'm sure you know by the end of the Harry Potter franchise most of the cast were about 20, playing 16,17.
Night457
Global Moderator

So tired of waiting for the final season ... twiddling my thumbs ...

[Image]
"Dafne Keen and Amir Wilson on the first day of His Dark Materials series 3 filming."

First day of filming: May 24 2021.
Last day of filming: end of November 2021.
Working working working on post-production, with broadcast rumoured for November 2022.

Dafne Keen was born January 4 2005, so she was 16 for this final season.

This is one of those shows where everyone has cute little pets, right? :P
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

In a most likely fruitless attempt to catch up on all the unfinished series I have, I just finished the final series. It's a little crinchy to watch it, because Dafne has a full "womanly" figure, unlike other girls her age. I have to salute cast, crew and her for filming her at all those "body-positivity" angles, but ... I wish it was otherwise.

I was surprised by Amir Wilson's age which is just 11 months older.

I do wonder though: if there had been no Covid, she would've finished filming at age 14. Would her parents have allowed her to do a kiss scene with Will even though he's her age? But when she swims, she does wear a t-shirt, twice, so .....

What do we think of Ama? Broadest mouth ever! :D but lipless :(
[Image]
David32441 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:46 pm
Also, in Western productions there's strict rules on the hours they can work per day, teens can work more hours than younger children who need on-set schooling.
ha ha those rules get broken a lot, especially in smaller productions
Going back to the Hollywood of yester-year they'd even strictly control the diet of their starlets.
i'm a little sad that didn't work out in Dafnes case although, i think she would be .... "body positive" no matter what she ate... this won't help her career a bunch. Sometimes it is just genes. Physical traits are mostly nature, mental traits are nurture
Gary Coleman of Diff'rent Strokes - they liked him as he stayed looking young!
didn't help his career none
I'm sure you know by the end of the Harry Potter franchise most of the cast were about 20, playing 16,17.
ha ha you DO know that on Buffy the Vampire slayer there were 30 year olds playing teens, right? And Moaning Myrtle was played by Shirley Henderson who was a whopping 36 (THIRTHY SIX!) during shoots...