[REL] Suffer Little Children (1983)

kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

Never heard of this one before, but here 'tis:

Suffer Little Children (1983)

Synopsis:
A mute child arrives at a children's home and starts terrorizing the other children with her demonic powers.
Other quotes about it: :lol:
Assigning traits like “good” or “bad” to a movie like SUFFER, LITTLE CHILDREN is like trying to assign a color to “inertia”–it’s not something that can actually be done using our primitive Earth languages. SUFFER, LITTLE CHILDREN is a fantastic treat for those amenable to its twisted, no-budget charms who will welcome its inexplicable nature and half-finished tone, and a grueling exercise in pain for those that won’t. Those that won’t, however, are unlikely to have stumbled on this review of the film, so if you’ve read this far and are still intrigued, you’re exactly the sort of person who should have SUFFER, LITTLE CHILDREN adorning your collection.
Suffer Little Children stands on its own, and there is little I can add that would increase anyone's appreciation of the work. Very few films invite the audience into their universe so successfully and keep the audience so rapt with attention. Some might dismiss the film as amateurish, but it is clearly put together with great skill. A truly amateurish film would fall into traps Suffer Little Children avoids with great elan: the urge to explain where Elizabeth came from, what is happening at any point in the narrative, why Elizabeth wears Mick's crucifix throughout the story, why Jesus appears at the end to save the day, why Jesus appears only after all the adults in the house have been savagely murdered. The filmmakers use misdirection as effectively as any professional filmmakers, as in the dream where the girls have a picnic with zombies. Suffer Little Children is a beautifully made horror film that is truly disturbing, powerful, and groundbreaking.
After the credits roll, the film offers an extraordinary epigram: “This movie was made by the students of Meg Shanks’ Drama School. They had no experience and no money, just determination and guts. To the Parents: Thanks for putting up with it. To the kids: THANKS.”
...Suffer Little Children lives on to corrupt young, impressionable minds on DVD and Amazon Prime, over the incidents that befell 45 Kingston Road, New Malden, Surrey in August 1984.
:shock:
Yet to contradict the damaging effects of this film, one former cast member states:
“As far as I know none of us ended up on a remote Scottish island [in a] devil-worshipping [cult] and certainly none of the women bore any babies named Rosemary,” remembers Paul Newbery. “It gave us ‘kids’ our first chance to be involved with a film and taught me to a certain degree a level of teenage responsibility that no ‘youth club’ could attain.”
:heart
My favorite quote:
...Lotsa bloody kids--No wonder the Brits hated it..
:lol:

Pix:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Good, in-depth reviews:
https://www.senselesscinema.com/2020/04 ... ldren.html
https://www.horrifiedmagazine.co.uk/fil ... -children/
http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/now- ... dren-1983/

Dodgy, low-budget film with shoddy production; yeah, but...

I
WANT
THIS
FILM!!!
(I'm dying to hear that 'Wistful Guitar Music'...) :lol:

(There IS a DVD available and it IS offered on Amazon Prime* for a small price, but I'm exhausting my 'Free' options before purchasing.. ;) )

* https://www.amazon.com/Suffer-Little-Ch ... 8&qid=&sr=

kev.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Suffer Little Children (1983)

Post by ghost »   1 likes

...WOW! Very low budget, but in deed interesting! :o :lol:

And it's on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMp_Chpijo

I'll check out, if the quality is better on Prime Video ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

kev, this terrible movie is AWESOME! --- as long as you are prepared for painfully bad production values and video quality. As someone who frequently finds horror films funny, I thought this was hilarious. I am afraid I was not horrified like the sensitive little biddies who made this a Video Nasty. It just never occurred to me that this might be appropriate for FLM - if it is "appropriate" for anyone at all. I love the punk rock title song.

Whether the source be YouTube, Amazon, the Severin DVD or an ancient bootleg videotape, I am pretty sure it will look and sound much the same. However, it looks as if Amazon has proper English subtitles, which could be a help with the muffled dialog.

After you see the film, you may decide "Wow, Night457 really likes TRASH."
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Nothing to add, Night457.

Well, sure it is a very low budget production and surely won't win any oscar. In some way, it has his cheap charm to me... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jezevex

Re: [REL] Suffer Little Children (1983)

Post by jezevex »   36 likes

I'm RELeasing (got from file-sharing site, not the Youtube or Amazon Prime one):

[Image]

No RFF entry yet.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.08 Gb]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Thank you jezevex! And ghost, and kev!

I had forgotten how this movie leaves me in actual tears ... of hilarity. The visiting pop singer seems like such a nice chap, surprisingly naive, with a complete inability to recognize TRUE EVIL staring him in the face.

:evil There Will Be Blood :twisted:

I don't know about the Amazon version, but the jezevex file has the extended, full-length title song at the end of the movie!! Great! The Youtube version cuts the song short.

Here is the ghost English subtitle re-timed for the jezevex file, for the few brave enough to dare see this horror classic:
SLCH_83.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Suffer Little Children (1983)

Post by kev »   0 likes

Yay!!

Thanks jezevex for posting the file! Looking forward to watching this classic 'Video Nasty'! ;)

OH! And thanks Night457 for taking the time to sync & post ghost's subs. They are appreciated! :bigups

kev.