[REL] Old Enough (1984)

billanben

[REL] Old Enough (1984)

Post by billanben »   0 likes

This looks like it could be rather superb. Kind of film I would expect FLL or Kev to have already :-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087837/

The 12 years old well-bred Lonnie meets the impudent Karen on the street. They spend some time together and Karen teaches Lonnie some of her favorite occupancies, like make-up, shoplifting, skipping school and lying to the parent about it, but confessing to the priest later. But Karen also learns some honesty from Lonnie. A film about social differences and growing up.

This is a rare gem, one that isn't afraid to confront what it means to grow up in 80s America. Set in 80s New York, Silver has lensed an astonishingly authentic view of childhood, surprisingly devoid of sentimentality. She isn't afraid to paint life in realist tones, often shocking the audience with the intrusion of adult behavior upon the young protagonist's life. The issue of class difference is central to the film's development of the two main characters Sarah and Kare; the former a rich Upper East-side innocent; the latter a brash, precocious Italian-Catholic schoolgirl. Yes, this treatment of the different class systems seems rather trite at first, but the complexities of the characters are mapped through until the sombre end, which is a refreshing change from the feel-good nonsense made by Disney et al. This independent film could have been a Disney film; thank Mickey Mouse it wasn't. A testament to the true spirit of independent cinema in the 80s.

Posted in hope !!
FLL

Re: [REL] Old Enough 1984

Post by FLL »   0 likes

heh, I have it, found it a couple of weeks ago after I saw it on a top 10 list here. It is one of the 4 titles I have gotten for posting here, none of which are out on DVD and as old VHS rips my learning curve for encoding it with decent quality is steep. I actually started my latest pass, testing quality and filter adjustments, about 2 hours before you posted. It should be only a few days before I am satisfied and I will release it. Stay tuned!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

FLL, cant wait :bigups
billanben

How did I know you would already have that - uncanny eh ?

Looking forward to this and thanks FLL
Debaser

OMG this stars the very hot (at the time) Alyssa Milano - who could forget Once Upon A Time In America.
It should be only a few days before I am satisfied and I will release it. Stay tuned!
Any news on your release FLL? :)
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Debaser wrote:OMG this stars the very hot (at the time) Alyssa Milano - who could forget Once Upon A Time In America.
It should be only a few days before I am satisfied and I will release it. Stay tuned!
Any news on your release FLL? :)
Blah. I have been swamped lately, I just now finished going through the 48 new topics since I last had a chance to get here a week ago. I'll try to get back to this this week, sorry.
Debaser

No worries :)

In your own time.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Debaser wrote:OMG this stars the very hot (at the time) Alyssa Milano - who could forget Once Upon A Time In America.
Seems I could have forgotten. :think I don't seem to remember seeing Alyssa Milano in "Once Upon A Time In America"?
Debaser

Seems I could have forgotten. I don't seem to remember seeing Alyssa Milano in "Once Upon A Time In America
Thats because you didnt lol, im confusing her with Jennifer Connelly.

I should have said "OMG this stars Alyssa Milano from Commando" :)

I look at her in Commando, then look at her now and it makes me feel sad.

Commando http://www.alyssa-milano-international. ... ndo001.jpg
billanben

Hey FLL any news on this one ?