[REL] Iphigenia (1977) [Greece]

vidman49

[REL] Iphigenia (1977) [Greece]

Post by vidman49 »   12 likes

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.46 Gb]

DVDRip: Iphigenia - AKA Ifigeneia. Nominated for an Academy Award in 1977, this film was directed by Michael Cacoyannis, who also directed Zorba the Greek. The film centers around Iphigenia - played by 12-year-old Tatiana Papamoschou - though I do not believe she appears in the first 20 minutes of this 2 hour and 9 minute feature. She gets a lot more screen time as the movie progresses.

The dialog is in Greek, with hardcoded English subs.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0660287/

The Greek army is about to set sail to a great battle, but the winds refuse to blow. Their leader, King Agamemnon, seeks to provide better food, but accidentally slays a sacred deer. His punishment from the gods, the sacrifice of his daughter Iphigenia.

[Image]
[Image]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076208/
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Iphigenia - Greece (1977)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Just got a chance to watch this today and it's quite good. It's a talking movie - there is no "action" in it at all, not even at the sacrifice, so some won't find it to their taste. I knew that going in so I waited until I had a chance to watch it closely enough to appreciate it.

It tells the ancient Greek tale of Agamemnon who is the brother of Menaelus, who is the husband of Helen of Troy. Their army has been gathered on the beach waiting to sail to Troy to rescue her but the winds won't blow because the gods are angry - despite Agamemnon's order not to kill a sacred deer, it happened anyway. To appease the gods and allow his army to sail, the Oracle tells him he must sacrifice his oldest daughter Ifigenia. He doesn't want to and would have disbanded the army instead, but politics forces his hand.

Thanks, vidman49 for providing this classic.
vidman49

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

Thanks Phuzzy, my pleasure. I am glad you liked the movie.

I am glad that I can contribute instead of just taking. I have about 500-600 DVDs of coming-of-age movies (or just plain old "kids" movies) from about 25 or so countries. Unfortunately, about 95% are already in the forum. I was surprised that this one was not already listed. I am also surprised that with as much internet research that I have done searching for movies that I never ran across FLM until ForAnAngel told me about the site three months ago. I ran across him about a year and a half ago on another site.

I would much rather own the DVDs instead of downloading movies, but so many of these have never been released and this is the only way to get a lot of these movies or TV shows. It is also hard for me to order DVDs from countries and web sites that are not in English, but I have managed pretty well with that so far.

It is nice to be a part of a community that shares the same interests and has also done a lot of research that I can benefit from. :dance

And thanks to everyone who put up with me and all my questions about how to post movies and pictures and everything else. Hopefully I will make it worth your time with what I can contribute.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

I knew you would like this place! :thumbsup
pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Iphigenia (1977) [Greece]

Post by pillowbaker »   26 likes

Upgrade to 1080p. Multiple sources. Not too difficult for anyone to find, this one, but I thought I'd go ahead and share it anyways. Although Tatiana sure looks older than her depicted age, this movie looks quite interesting and she is nonetheless a cutie! I haven't watched it yet, but most reactions seem to be positive.

Emule links at bottom.

Here's a link to the yify 1080p/720p torrents which are still seeded. I am currently seeding the 1080p torrent and I will also share this file over emule below. 2.15 gb for the 1080p.

Streaming for subscribers of amazon.
Streaming for subscribers of paramount+

Rarbg has the best quality video available, but at a whopping 13gb! I went for it and will share it over emule after I've sourced the 2gb file for a little bit. Between computer issues and waiting, this torrent took 10 days to complete. I am currently seeding this very torrent if anyone wishes to jump on.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.15 Gb]

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

Screens from the yify video file. SUBTITLES for the yifi encode posted below. Thanks to Night.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

Thanks!

Kill a virgin every time the wind blows, those damn crazy oracles.

[Revised version: "Kill a virgin every time the wind changes, those damn crazy oracles."]

Regular English subtitles and English SDH:
Iphigenia EN & SDH-EN.zip
Of course there are other languages also available at opensubtitles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Kill a virgin every time the wind blows, those damn crazy oracles.
Or in the case of this story, when the wind doesn't blow. Folks those days really knew how to get work done.

edit: I just relooked it up. There are differing accounts. Athena acts upon the winds so that the fleet cannot sail. Some sources say no wind, others say too much stormy wind. Had to make sure. I understand Night's propensity for absolute accuracy.

I should have mentioned, the yifi encode that I shared over emule does not include subs-- apparently that group likes to put them on their subtitle website. The 13gb encode I'm helping to seed does include subs (for that size you'd hope they would).

So thanks for those subs once again, Night!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

pillowbaker wrote:edit: I just relooked it up. There are differing accounts. Athena acts upon the winds so that the fleet cannot sail. Some sources say no wind, others say too much stormy wind.
I have not seen the movie and I don't think I read the Euripides, so I was just going by a quick look at Wikipedia. I am afraid I jumped to conclusions about the gods acting upon the winds! I did not even pay close attention to Phuzzy's post. Now that I think about it, no wind at all would be just as bad for sailing, and would really seem unusual if it went on for a long time. So I have to revise my original thinking.

(Should I use Spoiler tags for a 2400 year old Greek myth?)

There are multiple versions of the ultimate fate of Iphigenia, as well. Apparently even back in the barbaric olden days, there were people in the audience who objected to the idea of virgin sacrifice and wanted her to survive. Euripides also saw box office potential in bringing back characters for a sequel, and may have revised his first installment as a result. Apparently there are different versions of his play available, with argument over who did what versions when.

Supposedly this movie remains open-ended, so you can decide for yourself what happened.

I grabbed the SDH subs from yify while I was emuling the file, because I figured they would probably already be synced. I made the non-HI version for my own purposes.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:There are multiple versions of the ultimate fate of Iphigenia, as well. Apparently even back in the...
Ahh piss you spoiled that millennia old myth that I was going to maybe read one day! Might as well ruin the rest of Hesiod's fragmentary Catalogue of Women (580-520 BCE) while you're upsetting the applecart!!
Apparently even back in the barbaric olden days, there were people in the audience who objected to the idea of virgin sacrifice and wanted her to survive.
There were PR-obsessed nuts even back then? What's the world coming to! I say round 'em up, virgins included, and toss 'em in the arena with the gladiators. Oh wait, wasn't that the Roman era?

Will edit my post to reference your addition of subs. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Nuts? No, they were just tender-hearted like me!

"Do you like movies about gladiators?" - Airplane!

I have not read the Wikipedia entry on Hesiod so I can't spoil it ... yet.... Holy crap, I just found out that Agamemnon's OTHER daughter was Electra! Holy Jungian Daddy's Little Girl, Batman! The guy seems like a total dickhead to me, but his daughters just adore him!