Ivan Noel commits suicide

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
deadman

Ivan Noel commits suicide

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Wikipedia updated his biography page today:

[Image]

Having placed orders with his site, I got this message in my inbox:
FINAL GOODBYE TO MY FRIENDS

I had a friend long ago, Max Dickens, who 10 years before taking a euthanasia pill, was already happily talking about 'getting out of this life'. He would say 'when my money runs out, I run out'. His only great pleasure in life was travelling first class and eating in the world’s best restaurants. Without that, his life would lose what little it had to offer him. In 2008 he lost all his money in the corrupt stock market crash, and he joyfully sent me a message a few months later saying that the time had come for him. And he swollowed the pill.
I always thought this was a great thing: when you lose what you most value in life, when you lose your very ESSENCE of who and what you are, there is really no reason to go on, just for the sake of going on.
As my closest friends will know, I have been talking for years about the possibility of 'going out' at the right time, when and where I wanted. That's because I understood that my way of being was directly against the tide of a society that is every year more intolerant, populist and toxic. I was born into the best and the worst era imaginable. And now I found my moment.
If through poisonous people (the kind of people who surf these waves of hysteria as a 'cure' for their jealousy, repressions and personal failures), threaten the very future as I want it, then it's time for me to say goodbye.
And what would I lose sticking it out? Well, my work with kids (which has always been the essence of me, and my clearest talent), the ability to travel when and where I want in the world, and most of all my decency as a human being. Because although I am far from perfect, I am also far from evil, and I refuse to lose my decency in the service of toxic people. I really do not love life or humans enough for that.
These things are worth noting:
- In no way does that imply any admission of any offence on my part against anyone. On the contrary: I was never capable of hurting people, least of all the most vulnerable. Everyone who knows me well, knows that. But since today the need for populist drama is much more desired than reality, I do not trust anything anymore, and not interested in playing that absurd game.
- I end my chapter here without depression, or sadness, or any kind of regret or bitterness, but, like Max, in a personal and logical way.
- I love and appreciate to the last my friends who followed me until now, and from this decision of mine one should not think it was due to a lack from them. It's just that these issues of life and 'death' are much deeper than terrestrial friendships themselves. We are all so much more than what we see down here.
- Since it is NEVER a good time to die, one should be able to decide for oneself. I feel fine, like a tennis player who finishes his career after a tournament he won. Just finished by tenth budget less feature film, a documentary and a photo book. Delighted by that.
- I am and for a very long time now been appalled and disgusted by Humanity. I feel shame of belonging to such a failed race, with its endless small and big wars, most of the times caused by envy and jealousy.
- Is there goodness and love in the human? Well yes, of course... but it’s like saying of a very attentive and generous father that he is a 'good father', even though he drowns onw of his children in the family bathtub every year. This 'love' is no use, when it ends up like that.
- Contempt for humanity was never stronger for me than during this era of covid hysteria, as it showed us the ugliest side of humanity, the lowest, most submissive side of people, and the abuses from so-called leaders who lie so shamelessly. The only difference between the Middle Ages and now is that we have mobile phones and 'social' networks to attack others more easily.
- I am not religious, but I know there is something beyond our life here. It seems that to get there, we have to go through this failed experiment on earth. But I'm taking a shortcut thanl you very much!
- I'm 52 years old, but I'm also 150 years old, because I've lived three lives in one. A full, full, full life. I travelled halfway around the world, experienced almost everything I could, helped as many people as I could in the circumstances, created artistic works that remain and are respected , taught kids the passion for music, films, traveling, cooking, recently helping out the poorest people here.
But mostly, THERE WAS HARDLY A MOMENT IN MY LIFE THAT I WAS NOT LOVED, AND THAT I DID NOT LOVE. Even in my worst moments. I was always surrounded by the love and devotion of young and old alike. All that, incredibly, in spite of my differences, and this personality that is in TOTAL opposition to current western (pseudo) morals. That's why I owe the best part of my life to those who were and still are my friends.
I will drink a bottle of the best Argentine Malbec that I know ('Nosotros' by Susana Balbo) and give myself over to the beyond, which is where we come from, and where we all go.
Thank you, and thank you again: to those who gave me such opportunities (my parents), my loves over the last 40 years, and my friends, and also my film fans who made me get as far as this. I am leaving without regret, and at the best of times. Thank you again.
https://youtu.be/ENYuuOseIbI

Yves, the Ivan
Noel's farewell video mentioned in the Wikipedia entry was removed from YouTube for violating their community guidelines - anti vaccine conspiracies are okay, suicide note videos apparently not.

Sadly, we won't be seeing anything else from this director. RIP Ivan! :cry:

Update: I found several articles that said Ivan was accused over the past few days of abuse by several boys he fired from his recent film Cordero de Dios for bad behavior on set. His home was raided to collect evidence. He was apparently distraught that even though he believed the case would go nowhere the damage to his reputation would be permanent, and his work would be impossible going forward. He was probably right about that. I wouldn't have killed myself, but it would definitely be a bummer to go from local celebrity to having everyone shun you as an abuser.

https://uaenews.ekumkum.com/he-warned-t ... n-cordoba/
https://www.zyri.net/2021/07/20/they-fo ... ual-abuse/
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Ivan Noel commits suicide

Post by ghost »   0 likes

That's really bad news :(

I liked his kind of making movies. Any clues why he was comitting suicide?
deadman

ghost wrote:That's really bad news :(

People close to him say it's because of those complaints, and the likelihood that even being found not guilty his various projects would be done for. Some accusations can destroy your life simply by being made. I get the sense he was depressed for many years though. This was just the last straw.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

I can not believe it :o
It reminds me of David Hamilton, he did the same when accusations came out about harassment of his models considering that they were minors. :(
The great talent and his works are incredible but behind all that art he crossed the limits, he did not have another for life, the doors would be closed in the cinema. :cry:
I do not rule out more accusations because this looks very bad.
cabraass

Post by cabraass »   0 likes

Damn, sad news but still, i think it´s a good way to go, man should have at least have the control to clock out, reminds me of goodbye cruel world by pink floyd, i´m glad he didn´t leave any kids behind, gonna miss his films, on his documentaries looks like he had a real passion for his work, RIP.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

deadman wrote:

People close to him say it's because of those complaints, and the likelihood that even being found not guilty his various projects would be done for. Some accusations can destroy your life simply by being made. I get the sense he was depressed for many years though. This was just the last straw.
That's really sad. :(
One of the documentaries attached to one of his more recent films implied there was a point where there was almost a revolt led by some parents about the difficulty of the shoot. But more due to the harsh conditions / danger they were camped in than anything suspicious!
He's left some beautiful looking films. Tarantino has also said he'd make only 10 films.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Wow. It seems abundantly clear from the suicide note/video.
Sully23 wrote:I can not believe it :o
It reminds me of David Hamilton, he did the same when accusations came out about harassment of his models considering that they were minors. :(
Yes. How does the honorable panel see this comparison? Hamilton was definitely a lower quality filmmaker than Noel, although I could appreciate his subject matter more.
If it's not inappropiate: Does anyone have a birth date for one his stars (wife?) the lovely Monica Broecke ???
Much obliged....
Last edited by Triela on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

I end my chapter here without depression, (...) in a logical way.
and
I am not religious, but I know there is something beyond our life here.
These two statements seem contradictory. Nothing logical about believe in the afterlife, when considering all the physical aspects of it all, like atoms not moving and decaying. Etc

Oh well. I suppose he was better at making films.... :D :lol:
deadman

Triela wrote:
ghost wrote:If it's not inappropiate: Does anyone have a birth date for one his stars (wife?) the lovely Monica Broecke ???
Much obliged....
Tried finding that myself. After her short stint as an actress (consisting of two David Hamilton films) she seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. She doesn't have so much as a single social media account, plus the complete lack of any personal information whatsoever online - I'm thinking Monica Broeke might be a stage name.

As far as Ivan goes, yes - he's definitely a better movie director. But like you say Hamilton usually had a better choice of subjects. Noel has made some interesting post-apocalyptic films. Namely Nine Meals from Chaos (2017) and Rechazados (2018). The one movie I ordered on blu-ray from his site was of course La Tutora (2016), featuring my favorite of his young actors, the beautiful Malena Alonso.

Apparently Noel had some complaints against him in France, where he used to live before moving to Argentina (possibly to leave them behind). It's always too bad for us when directors of content destined for this site can't keep their hands off the child/teen cast. High profile legal cases - on top of harm done to the kids - result in stricter regulations and a tightening of already puritanical content standards. :eusa_doh
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Deadman is right
She doesn't even appear as Hamilton's wife.