Internet problems

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Nasuada

Internet problems

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:They are "working on it", whatever that means.
In German that means, they send a technical guy and you need to stay at home for a 6 hour time window like from 8am to 2pm. Then you wait for him on day X and no-one is coming to you. If you start a request what happen, you got the Info that the technician did not need any access to your flat but in a note he write, that there is something broken and it takes now around 1 week to fix it. :lol:
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] En Liten julsaga (1999)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

lara wrote:Anyway. I hope this movie will be aired again this Christmas and if we are lucky, we may get the HD version, maybe even the original Swedish one :pray
In my searches I came across notice of a limited theatrical showing this season, but I do not remember whether it was Sweden or elsewhere. But it does mean it is still popular!
Nasuada wrote:they gave me a full refund after years. I was very surprised.
VERY VERY surprising! Amazon!??!? I would not even have asked outside the return window.
Nasuada wrote:In German that means, they send a technical guy and you need to stay at home for a 6 hour time window like from 8am to 2pm.
Same thing in English, although I remember the good old days of a mere FIVE hour window.

However, in this case it is satellite internet and not cable, so it means all remote work with repeater towers ... and big vacuum cleaners to suck up orbiting space junk.
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Well... If it's a satellite I'm sure it have something todo with Elon Musk :lol: He parked a Starlink in front of your one.
Or some Alien Spaceship has kidnaping your connection to the universe.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Hmmm, I had not even considered aliens. That is a possibility ...
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

[Image]

Maybe this guy is responsible?
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:in this case it is satellite internet and not cable
Satellite internet? :eyecrazy Hard to believe they tolerate filesharing. Are you sure you did not violate the ToS? I have a bad feeling about this...
Night457
Global Moderator

Gee, thanks for the reassurance mimzy! ;)

There are no upload or download limits and no throttling, or so they say. So why would they care what the content of my bandwidth is? I do have to use a VPN so I can port-forward in order to share files effectively, but I do not do anything in particular to try and hide my identity.

"ToS" - Terms of Service - that is the pages of legalese that everyone clicks to get past and no one reads, right? :lol:

Just for a bigger laugh: in my early dial-up online days, I actually DID read through the Terms before installing any software. Me, "agree" to anything when I did not know what it was??? No chance. It was the damn iTunes Terms that did me in. It took me hours to DL the damn software and then more hours to read the agreement - and they updated the damn software every month! I quickly realized that I then had no time left to actually USE any software. From then on I never read anything. Medical forms? Bank account transfer papers? Sign them and move on. If they want to f*** me over, they will find a way to do it regardless.

Anyway. Just last night, I suddenly had all my speed back and I was downloading and uploading like normal. I have not heard the Feds smashing in my door. But hey, if I never post again y'all can assume I have been disappeared into a black site.

I can only say: "Come on ... arrest me."
[Image]
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:Gee, thanks for the reassurance mimzy! ;)

There are no upload or download limits and no throttling, or so they say. So why would they care what the content of my bandwidth is? I do have to use a VPN so I can port-forward in order to share files effectively, but I do not do anything in particular to try and hide my identity.
I don't mean that they care about your content or identity, but the bandwidth is over-booked. If they sell 100 Mbit/s, it obviously does not mean that they have enough resources for all of their customers to use 100 Mbit/s at the same time, so no throttling is BS. Some providers say that bandwith is, for example, 100 Mbit/s, but only "normal usage" is allowed in ToS (which does not include filesharing and VPN).

Connections here are "up to" 100 Mbit/s (or more, whatever), so basically any speed is OK from the provider's point of view... I had a period where eMule was almost completely blocked during day time and magically went to full speed at the same time every day (officially they said there was no throttling).

Another example: when I transfer files between my two places, I only get 10 Mbit/s, even though speedtest shows 100 Mbit/s at both ends.

Sattelite networks used to be very slow and/or expensive, so unless you are *very* rich, I'm surprised you get such high speeds :shock:

I knew a good contributor that actually had to stop sharing because of Internet problems. I'm glad you're back :thumbsup
Night457
Global Moderator

mimzy wrote:it obviously does not mean that they have enough resources for all of their customers to use 100 Mbit/s at the same time, so no throttling is BS.
OK, yeah, if the server is busy then there will be less bandwidth for me and for everyone else. All I meant is that they (supposedly) do not "punish" users who exceed a strict usage limit. That is what they claim, anyway. If a whole bunch of selfish jerks like me use up all the available bandwidth by eMuling down and up at max speed, torrenting to the max, AND direct-downloading from Uloz all at the SAME TIME, then EVERYONE has less bandwidth generally available and the download speeds keep going down down down.

But that was not the case this time. They said they were having technical issues that were affecting many users.
Sattelite networks used to be very slow and/or expensive, so unless you are *very* rich, I'm surprised you get such high speeds
:icon_roll2 :icon_roll2 :icon_roll2 :icon_roll2

Thanks, I needed that.

This is a new and improved satellite-thingy, and it costs a tiny fraction of what my landline copper-wire phone-company barely-legally-called-"broadband" used to cost. However, even those slow speeds were lightning-fast compared to what I had for 3 or 4 days this week. I sure hope this does not happen too often!
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:I don't mean that they care about your content or identity, but the bandwidth is over-booked. If they sell 100 Mbit/s, it obviously does not mean that they have enough resources for all of their customers to use 100 Mbit/s at the same time, so no throttling is BS.
The technical term for that is contention ratio. India has one of the worst contention ratios in the world. When I was on 4G, I'd get better than 20 Mbps between 2 am and 5 am, when very few people were online. During the day, however, I'd have trouble even reading my email. My current fiber connection is a lot better, but even that has issues when there is a lot of demand, as during the telecast of a cricket match. :x I don't experience much slowdown because I've opted for 30 Mbps, whereas the connection itself is capable of providing 150 Mbps + IPTV and other OTT services.

Night457, do you have a dish on your roof pointed up to the satellite? If so, then there are no repeater towers. Unless you consider the hops from satellite to satellite as hops between repeaters. You do have to deal with the effects of solar flares, etc. I suspect that's what caused your slow speeds recently.