[REL] Suspect (2005)

nicsventurs

Re: [REL] Suspect (2005)

Post by nicsventurs »   1 likes

Thank you for the direct link @deadman
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

I downloaded the DVD ISO and made my own mkv of this (not a Topaz enhance as really the film is quite soft and not much benefit). It's an mkv (at 18q setting, level 4.1 - it'll mean something to some of you) - embedding both the original subtitles, original audio, the English subtitles, and using the anamorphic DVD encode to resize it to 976x560 - encoded at a good quality setting to make a 1.75gb version. I can upload if anyone's interested?
David32441

It's uploaded - 280mb chunks (apart from last file), get all and rebuild using 7zip/Winrar.
It should be superior / easier than the DVD/ISO as the ISO doesn't contain English audio/subtitles. This mkv contains Video,audio,subtitles and is less than half the size.
https://mega.nz/file/VcAyQZaD#d8KgXvdyA ... kesEyVvE4o
https://mega.nz/file/0VJkHR6L#MNd0OxgXa ... eCSa0z1tFs
https://mega.nz/file/4IIW0bLT#BjK6cLF42 ... 9DsljTPqiM
https://mega.nz/file/oIBQXRyZ#7PtaK_hwA ... BgRnWXP2pw
https://mega.nz/file/JRIm1ZRR#EtPBcFl2s ... a5MKhILXZk
https://mega.nz/file/BVRm2b6R#37b-9UEcq ... Ya5GoauGw0
https://mega.nz/file/dcQGmZgY#A_po-77lg ... Ft-09ZdSb8
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

David32441 wrote:It's uploaded - 280mb chunks (apart from last file), get all and rebuild using 7zip/Winrar.
It should be superior / easier than the DVD/ISO as the ISO doesn't contain English audio/subtitles. This mkv contains Video,audio,subtitles and is less than half the size.
I have to correct you: my disc does contain English subtitles, and your audio is the original Dutch (although for some reason the track is labelled English).

Excellent re-encode though. Picture quality is close to the original, surprisingly little loss for the drop in file size and the graininess of the source video. Well done! :)
David32441

deadman wrote:
David32441 wrote:It's uploaded - 280mb chunks (apart from last file), get all and rebuild using 7zip/Winrar.
I have to correct you: my disc does contain English subtitles, and your audio is the original Dutch (although for some reason the track is labelled English).

Excellent re-encode though. Picture quality is close to the original, surprisingly little loss for the drop in file size and the graininess of the source video. Well done! :)
H264 is about 2-3x as efficient as DVD's Mpgeg2 - so it's not too surprising :)
I've got a few decades experience with video encoding, from mpg, to avi (divx and xvid) to mp4 - all for myself. But I'm new to more advanced stuff like that better de-interlacing method and burned subtitle removing. For this it was just a crop, and fix of the anamorphic resolution with a resize. I picked a scene about 3minutes in where a round clock was visible to check the vertical / horizontal height to check the proportions were correct!
I ran a Temporal smoother (very low level) in VirtualDub which at high levels can cause motion smeering - but can help reduce grain and file size. I also normalised the audio to -1Db. For some reason the audio levels on DVD's are very low - about -5Db or lower. Which is very low - even though it never spikes to -1Db. If you set the levels any higher you can get audio clipping.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

deadman wrote:Hey, I love my gigabytes! Give me big blu-ray rips. Better yet, full blu-rays or 4K. The more hard drive eatingly big it is the more I like it. :icon_thumbup1
Especially for deadman, here's an ISO of it! I'm going against my religion here! Because he want's BIG stuff.... (Do y'all suppose he's compensating for something...? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :mrgreen: :?: )

Suspect (2005)
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

David32441 wrote:I downloaded the DVD ISO and made my own mkv of this (not a Topaz enhance as really the film is quite soft and not much benefit). It's an mkv (at 18q setting, level 4.1 - it'll mean something to some of you) - embedding both the original subtitles, original audio, the English subtitles, and using the anamorphic DVD encode to resize it to 976x560 - encoded at a good quality setting to make a 1.75gb version. I can upload if anyone's interested?
Out of curiosity, can I ask what program did you use to make the MKV? And why did you use the anamorphic? not criticizing, just wanna learn what the technical motivation was...
I used Handbrake to set it to a 900KB Video Rate, with Average Bitrate in 2 steps, at 960x540, this reduced it from 4412,4 MB to 699,4 MB....or 16%
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
David32441

Ziggy Plock wrote:
David32441 wrote:I downloaded the DVD ISO and made my own mkv of this (not a Topaz enhance as really the film is quite soft and not much benefit). It's an mkv (at 18q setting, level 4.1 - it'll mean something to some of you) - embedding both the original subtitles, original audio, the English subtitles, and using the anamorphic DVD encode to resize it to 976x560 - encoded at a good quality setting to make a 1.75gb version. I can upload if anyone's interested?
Out of curiosity, can I ask what program did you use to make the MKV? And why did you use the anamorphic? not criticizing, just wanna learn what the technical motivation was...
I used Handbrake to set it to a 900KB Video Rate, with Average Bitrate in 2 steps, at 960x540, this reduced it from 4412,4 MB to 699,4 MB....or 16%
I used Handbrake. Everything set to OFF on the filters tab.
On the filters tab I use H264. FPS = same as source. Constant frame rate. Preset as slow. Level 4.1
Constant quality - somewhere between 18 and 15 for 576p, 19-17 for 720p, 20-19 for 1080p
Sometimes I copy in this line to the "extra options":
vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=2000
where Maxrate is kbits per second. 8000 = 1megabyte /second = 3.6gb/hour - but this is a MAX speed. Bufsize is not really relevant. It's like an extra spike of data it can apply for a second. These settings are more useful for streaming - but also good at stopping data being wasted on really rubbish stuff like water,explosions etc where things are flashing past and you don't want data wasted.
I've tested the above on say a 1 minute video that had 10 seconds of a fast flowing river and adding that line dropped the encode from 25 - 15mb with no noticable loss in the other 50 seconds and a tiny loss in the river detail.
Ziggy Plock

David32441 wrote:I used Handbrake.
Thanks. That's interesting. I might experiment with those settings.
[Image]
David32441

Ziggy Plock wrote:
David32441 wrote:I used Handbrake.
Thanks. That's interesting. I might experiment with those settings.
It allows you to raise the quality in the scenes that move more slowly where the eye tends to wander and notice blocks and stuff, but restricts it in the fast moving scenes where for me the quality can drop a bit and where data can be many MB/second. You can view the per second data rate of a video by dropping it into this freeware video tool. And compare the befor/after of an encode to see how much it spikes for certain scenes.
There's a zoom button so you can zoom into see the data over seconds more accurately. It's interesting how it allocates more data for some things. Fade-in / Fade-out is very data intense for mp4 encoding as everything is changing.
[Image]