Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
DreamScape

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

emuler wrote: You're out of luck. To get HighID, the configuration change (port forwarding) has to be made in the router at the cell tower where your 4G device is getting the internet. I don't think they'll do it for you. :roll: :lol:
You can try port forwarding from your smartphone to your PC, but I don't think that will solve the problem at the tower.
I was in the same situation less than a year ago. You do what you can at your end, but if it still doesn't work, there's nothing more that you can do, except wait until a better connection becomes available and affordable.
I use a VPN that allows me to configure port-forwarding. I get a HighID in eMule with it without any router config on my end. That'd probably work fine over a mobile connection.
westurkey

Post by westurkey »   0 likes

My PC has dynamic IP (DCHP enabled).
Also, the IP address and DNS server addresses are obtained automatically.
What should I do?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

These sound like standard router settings. You may be able to change them to something better.

I am by no means an emule expert, but I vaguely recall what I did. Login to your router as admin and look around at the different settings, seeing if you can set up your device with a STATIC IP address. Your Internet Service Provider may allow this, or they may not. Also look for settings allowing PORT FORWARDING.

If these are possibilities, then take the time to read through documentation at FLM and online sources found through Google Search to learn how to do so. Naturally, it is different for every router. You only need to set a STATIC IP for whatever device(s) you will use for emuling. With PORT FORWARDING, you will be selecting the 2 specific ports you want your Emule Client to use for its TCP and UDP ports. (Located in Options / Connection.)

Emule still works with dynamic IP, just not quite as effectively. I have sloooow internet speeds, so it is pretty essential that I stay connected to my sources for extended periods of time. It does tend to interrupt things when my IP randomly changes.

The post above yours says that with a Port Forwarding VPN there is no need to mess with router settings, which sounds wonderful. I have no experience with VPNs.

Make sure you document the changes you make (and the original settings) so you can roll them back if you do something terrible that disables your internet connection. Seriously. If you screw it up, YOU have to fix it!

This is as much as I can remember, but these hints should be good for a start. Good luck.
theoldmovies

Post by theoldmovies »   0 likes

i just downloaded emule and make the setup without this guild does it make any different?
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

theoldmovies wrote:i just downloaded emule and make the setup without this guild does it make any different?
HighID does make a difference. How you go about getting a HighID is up to you - doesn't make a difference if you follow this guide or some other guide, or no guide at all.
westurkey wrote:My PC has dynamic IP (DCHP enabled).
Also, the IP address and DNS server addresses are obtained automatically.
What should I do?
1. Make the static IP settings in the network adapter properties on your computer. I find it easiest to open the connection details and note down the settings currently being used, and then just put those settings into the TCP/IP v4 settings.
2. Do the port forwarding in your router settings. First enable "use uPnP to setup ports" setting in eMule options->connections. If you're lucky, your ports will be forwarded automatically (if your router understands uPnP). If this doesn't work (you'll be able to see this in eMule log on the servers page) then you'll have to go into the router settings and make the changes yourself.
https://www.portforward.com/ is a good resource. They'll try to sell you stuff, but the information you need is there for free.
3. If you have done everything and still you don't get HighID, then it is your ISP's fault. You can get around that by using a VPN that supports port forwarding.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Noticed a bunch of UDP errors in the verbose log. Turned out Kaspersky Internet Security's firewall was the culprit. Had to disable it completely and go back to Windows firewall.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I am pretty sure that every single time Windows Firewall has blocked something, I tell it to allow it. So far it has always been due to a deliberate (if foolhardy) software installation choice on my part rather than a surprise attack.

Did you have to disable Kaspersky entirely or just the firewall part? I remember liking Kaspersky.
emuler

Night457 wrote:Did you have to disable Kaspersky entirely or just the firewall part? I remember liking Kaspersky.
Just the firewall part. I like Kaspersky, too, but I couldn't find a way to stop those errors. It doesn't seem to have a setting to allow incoming UDP traffic - the errors kept coming even after I turned off all the other network protections it was offering.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You guys really still use anti virus software like kaspersky? It just slowens your system and is for no use anymore these days. Wndows Defender has become really strong... You can read a lot about it in the http://www... Just my humble opinion. Cheers.

And your router should have a good firewall too.
emuler

1. Your link is broken.
2. It is not easy to configure Windows firewall. It is a fantastic firewall, no doubt, but you need system administrator level skills to do anything more than basic configurations. Not everyone has skills like mimzy. I'm not totally clueless, but when I need to do something more with it, it does take me a while to dig around the hundreds, maybe thousands of options and settings. Even something as simple as enabling ping can leave you tearing your hair out.

Anyway, since I disabled Kaspersky's firewall, no more errors, and a certain HappyGoLucky got lucky. :roll: :D He's been downloading for 8 hours. :D