Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

In another thread,
mexlink wrote:I got the dl and ul to work, but haven't figured out how to do port-forwarding. I thought I did correctly, but evidently not. Does anyone how to do it via firefox, edge, or chrome? Btw, how do you know whether if you have low or hi id?
In this thread,
ghost wrote:You have to open/forward the TCP and UDP ports in the settings of your router. I don't understand how you can do this in Microsoft Edge...
mexlink, listen to ghost! He knows quite a bit about eMule!

Only some ISPs will allow you to port-forward. If they do, you have to make these changes in your router settings, NOT technically in your browser settings. (Yes, it is true that you can LOG IN to your router in your browser.) All routers have different interfaces and no one can easily provide a generic guide to all routers. You likely will have to google a guide to your specific router, unless you are already familiar with it. Of course you need to know your login and password to actually make the changes.

Once you set up the port-forwarding in your router, you enter the chosen ports in your eMule client. (Options / Connection / Client Port / TCP and UDP).

How do you find out if your ISP allows port-forwarding? Call and ask them if you have to!

My old ISP did allow port-forwarding, so I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my router settings. My latest ISP does NOT allow port-forwarding, so I use AirVPN to port-forward. The values I chose in the VPN I then entered into Options in my eMule client.

Note: NOT all VPNs allow port-forwarding, just some.

NOW finally the easy part: how to find out if you are HighID or LowID:

Go to the Servers Tab of your eMule client. In the box of My Info, it will list your ed2k ID and whether you are HighID or LowID.

Also harder to see, in the bottom right of your eMule client window there will be a tiny globe icon, and if both the arrows on it are green then you are HighID. You will see one or more yellow arrows if you are LowID.

See screenshot with red-circled parts (click to expand image):
[Image]
mexlink

Post by mexlink »   0 likes

ghost wrote:This setup guide has been written many years ago, so some links a certainly dead today :)

I think, you mean the ipfilter.dat. I recommand http://www.emule-security.org. ( https://www.emule-security.org/e107_plu ... ?0.cat.2.1 ). Also for updating your server list.
Another problem is that I keep failure port check, even though I've configured the firewall and port-forwarding using microsoft edge. Therefore I'm getting low-ids, and can't connect to any servers beside sharing-devils. So I must have done something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
You have to open/forward the TCP and UDP ports in the settings of your router. I don't understand how you can do this in Microsoft Edge...
Thanks! I got the ipfilter.dat and loaded correctly. I also tried to connect to kad with the link on emule-security ([url]https://www.emule-security.org/e107_plu ... .cat.6[url]), but the kad status just stays as "connecting".

P.S. Nvm! KAD is connected now!
mexlink

Post by mexlink »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:In another thread,
mexlink wrote:I got the dl and ul to work, but haven't figured out how to do port-forwarding. I thought I did correctly, but evidently not. Does anyone how to do it via firefox, edge, or chrome? Btw, how do you know whether if you have low or hi id?
In this thread,
ghost wrote:You have to open/forward the TCP and UDP ports in the settings of your router. I don't understand how you can do this in Microsoft Edge...
mexlink, listen to ghost! He knows quite a bit about eMule!

Only some ISPs will allow you to port-forward. If they do, you have to make these changes in your router settings, NOT technically in your browser settings. (Yes, it is true that you can LOG IN to your router in your browser.) All routers have different interfaces and no one can easily provide a generic guide to all routers. You likely will have to google a guide to your specific router, unless you are already familiar with it. Of course you need to know your login and password to actually make the changes.

Once you set up the port-forwarding in your router, you enter the chosen ports in your eMule client. (Options / Connection / Client Port / TCP and UDP).

How do you find out if your ISP allows port-forwarding? Call and ask them if you have to!

My old ISP did allow port-forwarding, so I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my router settings. My latest ISP does NOT allow port-forwarding, so I use AirVPN to port-forward. The values I chose in the VPN I then entered into Options in my eMule client.

Note: NOT all VPNs allow port-forwarding, just some.

NOW finally the easy part: how to find out if you are HighID or LowID:

Go to the Servers Tab of your eMule client. In the box of My Info, it will list your ed2k ID and whether you are HighID or LowID.

Also harder to see, in the bottom right of your eMule client window there will be a tiny globe icon, and if both the arrows on it are green then you are HighID. You will see one or more yellow arrows if you are LowID.

See screenshot with red-circled parts (click to expand image):
[Image]
Thanks! After cheking, I most definitely have LowID :icon_frown2 The arrows around the globe are both yellow. I have a Belkin router, and after googling, I found that I need to first log in to the router from Belkin's default router ip address: 192.168.2.1 However, it keeps timing out when I tried to access the address. Welp!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I have a Belkin router, and after googling, I found that I need to first log in to the router from Belkin's default router ip address: 192.168.2.1 However, it keeps timing out when I tried to access the address. Welp!
This is definitely beyond my immediate level of knowledge. If anyone has suggestions, please speak up. All that *I* can say is do more Google searches.

For example, searching
belkin router login times out
gives this as the top result:
https://www.belkin.com/us/support-artic ... eNum=80321

Hopefully this or another official support page will help.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

WTF has happened to nodes.dat from gruk? Or emule security, yeah I know it Ukraine US intelligence I know but I dont care, I'm not getting back into the scene but there is like 1 file I want to dl on the network and my KAD wont update.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

Rich_Visiting wrote:WTF has happened to nodes.dat from gruk? Or emule security, yeah I know it Ukraine US intelligence I know but I dont care, I'm not getting back into the scene but there is like 1 file I want to dl on the network and my KAD wont update.
Oh it;s the one with the ed2k link at the top.... here we go....
WEOLL

Post by WEOLL »   0 likes

someone please help me. i'm new and read the setup. i followed instructions, did everything and i have two green arrows indicating highid. i have many files in the transfer queue, almost all say 'waiting'. do i just need to wait? how long does it take to download a file? days? weeks? months? this seems quite slower than torrenting. i understand every 20 minutes or so my node queries other nodes to get permission to download file. are there long lines for these movies? any advice is super appreciated! i want to know if i'm making a mistake or it just takes a long time, thanks!
WEOLL

for example, does it matter if i stay connected for several days straight versus disconnecting after a day and then reconnecting. with highid, do i lose my place in the queue by disconnecting? in which case i should stay connected forever until file is downloaded?
i have about 40 files, mostly movies and some subs in my transfer queue. all but one say waiting. when i first add a file/link to transfer queue, commonly i will be downloading right away, sometimes at decent speed (500kb/s). but all eventually stop and now none are downloading. still highid. port forwarding with router successful. custom ports. firewall rules. everything looks good. except no downloads. thanks for any help or advice.
WEOLL

Ok i think i did everything correct, it's just most people aren't currently sharing files? so i need to 'request' the files. i think that's it...
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

WEOLL wrote:someone please help me.
Wow, for someone who apparently successfully installed it you seriously have a lot of questions! :)
I will try to answer as many as I can.
i have many files in the transfer queue, almost all say 'waiting'. do i just need to wait?
Usually, yes, if they are recently posted to FLM. You have to wait until people who have the file come online and run eMule, sharing that file. I personally run eMule about 23 hours a day 7 days a week when possible, but I realize many people can not do that.

Older files may not currently be shared but people have them stored on hard drives. If you have waited a day or two with no sources, come to FLM and ask for a reshare. You CAN click the link that says "Request selected files" but I would guess most people are like me and forget to check the Requested files. It is more effective to post in that movie's thread a polite message saying "Please reshare" and indicate which particular file if necessary. When I see such a post, I check to see if I have the file, and I know many other people do also.
how long does it take to download a file? days? weeks? months?
Yes, yes, yes! Sometimes it takes only hours, or considerably less than an hour. It depends on how many people are sharing the file, what upload speeds they have, and your download speeds. In this respect it is the same as torrenting.
are there long lines for these movies?
Some of these movies are VERY popular and in high demand, particularly immediately after Release. If there is only one source they can not upload to everyone at once, and may deliberately limit how many people they upload to in their eMule Options/Connection. And generally you can only get one file per uploader at a time. For example, sometimes ghost will Release 3 movies in one day. He has the bandwidth and can handle it. However, if you put all 3 in your queue, you will likely only be downloading ONE of them at a time from him, and your eMule client will start on another from him directly when one finishes. If other people have parts of the other files, your eMule client will download those from them.

The tricky thing is, if you are already downloading someone else's Release from ghost (foe example, again) and then you add one of his own Releases, you may have to wait on it! eMulers with limited bandwidth may want to Pause some files to allow others to complete first. If you wish, in Options / Files / Initializations you can click "Add files to download in paused mode" so you can have complete manual control over which files you want to Resume, without any starting automatically and taking up drive space.
for example, does it matter if i stay connected for several days straight versus disconnecting after a day and then reconnecting.
It certainly helps to stay connected longer, but it is not necessary.
with highid, do i lose my place in the queue by disconnecting?
Yes. With LowID too. By disconnecting, you left the queue. Just like people who used to wait in line for hours for concert tickets, back in the olden days. Camp out, pee in a bottle and do not dare leave the line if your "spot" is important to you! Or being on hold on the phone. You hang up and you have to go to the back of the line. With eMule, lots of other people disconnect also, so you only go to the back of the line of people currently online. Real life does take priority.
in which case i should stay connected forever until file is downloaded?
Well that would just be silly, unless eMuling is your top life priority! You can connect and disconnect over and over again, and it will just pick up where you left off and continue downloading. It just might take longer, that's all.
i have about 40 files, mostly movies and some subs in my transfer queue. all but one say waiting.
That is quite a number files all at once! Do you have the drive space for all that, if you have partial downloads of all of them? Keep that in mind. I have to limit my downloads based on my available drive space. eMule will allocate space up to the full file size even when it is only partially downloaded.
when i first add a file/link to transfer queue, commonly i will be downloading right away, sometimes at decent speed (500kb/s).
You can hover your mouse over the File Name in the Transfers tab and you can see various statistics, such as if there any full Parts currently Available. (100% complete source.)
but all eventually stop and now none are downloading. still highid. port forwarding with router successful. custom ports. firewall rules. everything looks good. except no downloads.
You seem to have done everything correctly and have to wait for people to come back on eMule.
Ok i think i did everything correct, it's just most people aren't currently sharing files? so i need to 'request' the files.
If you do not get ANY downloading movement on a file, then come back to FLM and "Request selected files" or better yet ask nicely for a reshare in a post, as I stated above. People WILL reshare otherwise unavailable files. I do it, and I have seen the results of others doing it.

If you have already started downloading something that has been available at 100%, then be patient and wait until it is done. I currently have a file in my queue that I have at 99.3%, and I have been eMule-downloading it for 7 weeks. A full 100% source IS out there, although I am generally at the back of his queue. I get a few kilobytes every day or so, either from the source or from other downloaders. Unfortunately, it is NOT a file that has been posted at FLM, I simply found it on an eMule search. So there is no community where I can ask others to reshare it!

You seem to have done everything properly and just need to be patient and wait. Likely it will not be long until you have more movies than you can keep up with watching. In the past 7 months or so I have managed to accumulate about 400 movies downloaded that I STILL need to watch, what with eMule and torrents and direct-downloading combined. So if any particular movie takes a while it does not matter.