Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

We got fiber last year - we were the first in our little town. The ISP was having problems getting it set up correctly and I worked with them to iron out the problems. Since I helped them, they gave me an outward-facing DHCP port on their routers instead of the inside IP pool everyone else gets and I was able to get highID so things zipped along nicely. I guess those guys aren't there any longer or their company changed policies because they put us in the pool, so no highID for us unless we pay $100/month (IP's are scarce), and it's not worth it. Still, transfer rates are good once I connect to someone, and outgoing files are peppy too - I'm seeing people get 250 KB/s or higher all the time.

You're kind of in the position we all were ten years ago with very slow eMule transfers. Remember when it could take months to get some of the rare files from people with very slow connections (like Arthorius' bandwidth LOL)? I used to ONLY share files with a single source so people who wanted popular ones wouldn't grab all my outgoing bandwidth. Now I have everything on a NAS so I don't have to mess with it, it's just there, and reshare requests for the older files have almost gone to zero.

I know using eMule is frustrating and we'll try to help as much as we can. You might also look at eMule mods, not just the standards. I'm using XdP right now, and though it has a few quirks (it often doesn't download preview blocks first), it's working better for me than others. I've also used ScarAngel, Xtreme, Morph, and Euro-Com_MoD with success. You can also prioritize downloads in all versions of eMule, but that's usually useless unless you have highID. YMMV
emuler

Post by emuler »   2 likes

You really need to add this line for people who are stuck with unfixable LowID:

In OPTIONS> connection: uncheck the box for "Use smart LowID check on connect".

I was unable to connect either to a server or KAD until I unchecked that box. Nothing for over 4 hours. Unchecked this and connected in seconds, found ghost almost immediately. And then my bandwidth quota for the day ran out. LOL. Now switching to another ISP.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Be aware that Windows 10 stores all emule settings by default in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\eMule\config regardless of where you choose to install emule, or where you keep your shared and temp folders. This means that if you have to format C drive for any reason, all your configuration data and credits etc. will be lost.

To avoid this issue, copy this config folder here and save it somewhere. Now open emule options>advanced options>extended and scroll down to the section Sharing emule with other users, and select the option Store config and downloads in the program directory. This will cause emule to create new folders, including a new config folder, in the folder where emule is kept. Close emule, copy the old config folder saved earlier, and replace the new config folder with it, replacing all the files there.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Now open emule options>advanced options>extended
I do that as part of my initial config. Always have. I hate how Windows puts all your eggs in one basket in the Apps folder, Program Data, and in the registry. That began with Win95. I want to know where that data is, and the program's folder is the best place for it. The main reason it was set up to consolidate in one place was, of course, so each user can have their own settings, but also because programmers were putting their crap in the Windows folder itself, gunking it up and causing problems, especially since if you uninstall, they rarely cleaned up after themselves and dozens of useless folders were left behind. Besides, I'm sure it's very seldom more than one person uses eMule on the same computer.
sakme007

Post by sakme007 »   0 likes

Hi!
I have completed the designated steps but my TCP connection test is continually failing. I am not using any routers and my internet is through hotspot by way of 4G mobile sim.

Plz help with resolution of this issue....
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

sakme007 wrote:Hi!
I have completed the designated steps but my TCP connection test is continually failing. I am not using any routers and my internet is through hotspot by way of 4G mobile sim.

Plz help with resolution of this issue....
You're out of luck. To get HighID, the configuration change (port forwarding) has to be made in the router at the cell tower where your 4G device is getting the internet. I don't think they'll do it for you. :roll: :lol:
You can try port forwarding from your smartphone to your PC, but I don't think that will solve the problem at the tower.
I was in the same situation less than a year ago. You do what you can at your end, but if it still doesn't work, there's nothing more that you can do, except wait until a better connection becomes available and affordable.

You can live with LowID, though. It just takes a little longer, and if you can find a HighID source eMule works really well. I have LowID and I've downloaded some 400GB from here in less than a year.

Tip for beginners:
Look for posts by ghost - anything he's sharing will be accessible to LowID users.
Look for posts by deadman - he often puts up direct download links.
Crapcrap

Post by Crapcrap »   0 likes

Is there an android version of Emile?
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Crapcrap wrote:Is there an android version of Emule?
Yeah, but...um... ...It's pretty, um, crappy... :roll:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... pic=160958

kev.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Interesting observation:
I have LowID, and my eMule client mostly sits idle because very few people can find me. However, I find that my uploading works a LOT better if someone (with HighID, obviously) is connected to me for a long time. Right now, someone with a slow connection but HighID (not naming names)is downloading a large file from me, and it seems that his being connected to me is helping other people find me more easily. I've uploaded 60GB in two days, which is very good by my standards. I think source exchange and Kad are both working better because of this.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

:think Hmmm. Food for thought.

As someone "with a slow connection but HighID" I had noticed that multiple LowID users would be connected to me when I am downloading a file from a LowID source, but it certainly had never occurred to me that I might be helping them connect to the original source as well.

I share other people's files as long as I can, until the demand for my own RELeases wins out. When I have to cut back on sharing other files, I try to hold on to the LowID-sourced ones as long as possible, knowing that may help LowID users.

Yes, I DO frequently remember what I got from whom, as well as whether they are Low or Hi. Well, I remember for a few weeks anyway ...