Why Not Use Bittorrent?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
middy

Why Not Use Bittorrent?

Post by middy »   0 likes

New member here, just making a suggestion.

Emule is extremely slow so why not use bittorrents instead?
BizarreLoveTriangle

Re: Why Not Use Bittorrent?

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

middy wrote:New member here, just making a suggestion.

Emule is extremely slow so why not use bittorrents instead?
I think bittorrent is not faster, it just depends on the number of sources. For example, if I share my rip, I am the only full source and the speed is limited by my upload bandwidth. If I used torrent, you wouldn't get the data any faster.

Besides, it is tedious to create torrents. With eMule you just move the file to shared folder and that's it.

We've had a lot of discussion about torrents vs. eMule before...
BizarreLoveTriangle

Post by BizarreLoveTriangle »   0 likes

Forgot to add that if you want to get most out of eMule, check Step-by-Step eMule Setup.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Torrents are faster, but this is an ed2k forum.

Emule is not very fast, but you find much more rare movies there. And: They stay much much longer.
warbucks

Post by warbucks »   0 likes

I absolutely back up middy's suggestion. From my experience, bittorrents are way faster than Emule. All these rare movies shared on boards like this one should be indexed on The Pirate Bay, Extratorrent, IsoHunt, etc. for faster downloads. As they are all legal there is no need of coceiling ourselves.

(SME)
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

emule files are available for years,we've got stuff released here over 8yrs ago that is still being shared.emule users are patient,we always get there eventually. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Welcome to FLM, warbucks.

We've had many discussions about the pros and cons of each, and the discussion is usually started by people who haven't been here long. For brevity, I'll call torrents/usenet/rapidshare/etc. the "other guys".

The FLM community has pretty well made up its mind how we're going to continue. Yes, the "other guys" can be faster, but I've seen eMule absolutely scream when there are several seeders with high bandwidth and I've seen torrents absolutely drag when there was only one or two seeders with low bandwidth. The question isn't how long it takes but whether it happens at all.

The "other guys" disappear faster - even a year's retention is a short time - while eMule files tend to stay around forever. If you look at some of the posts that have DDL and torrent links, I'd bet not one in twenty still work, and you're not seeing the vast majority that were removed because they were dead. On the other hand, I've only run across one eMule file in more than three years here that someone didn't reshare within a few days.

It's very easy to share in eMule - copy a file to a folder on your own hard drive, click the Reload button, and forget about it. The "other guys" require the releaser to do some work and if you don't get the file quickly you're a lot less likely to get a reshare because the releaser has to do the same work again. If the files you want are available elsewhere then by all means get them that way. If they're only available on eMule...
warbucks wrote:All these rare movies shared on boards like this one should be indexed on The Pirate Bay, Extratorrent, IsoHunt, etc. for faster downloads.
I nominate you to undertake this vital job. ;)
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
warbucks wrote:All these rare movies shared on boards like this one should be indexed on The Pirate Bay, Extratorrent, IsoHunt, etc. for faster downloads.
I nominate you to undertake this vital job. ;)
Most importantly, do you find all the material you release at TPB etc actually uploads & is downloaded any faster than eMule.

lb
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Here is my two cents. Sorry if I repeat some points already given.

Torrent is much faster. I am willing to bet I have more experience using both than most members here. Seed boxes and chances at individuals connecting with high speed are much more common than the mule. Often when someone posts a movie here I can find it on torrent and have it downloaded within an hour, in fact most YIFY files I get in around 10 minutes. Downloading big files I would not even attempt on the mule. Speeds reaching 3MBs download is common place for me on torrent, on the mule 50-100KBs is a good day, over 100KBs is the rare exception.

However, with torrent asking for a reshare unless you belong to a private site and can ask the uploader directly is very unlikely. After the first month most torrents lose the number of seeds and slow down considerably. After a while many lose seeds completely and die leaving you to look elsewhere. This is where emule comes into it's many advantages over torrent. A file on emule as long as 'anyone' has the file it can always be reshared. Here at FLM we are very reliable about posting links to verified files and are quick to point out when a file is bad. Torrent often you find out quality 'after' you have downloaded. Torrent is mostly an open market where the only connection you have to a movie is the movie so you have hit and runs. Where as emule you have people from the site you get the file that are more likely to keep sharing and are willing to reshare. Torrent sites are always being monitored by law enforcement and are always being shut down. Where as because we are not a threat to the movie industry all the major emule sites such as ours have been around for several years, also because most of our files our small and not common(rare) many people here if they really like the film are motivated to go buy it if it is even available for purchase.

Every year our mules crank out faster than the year before, our mules are always there for us and files stay alive virtually forever. :thumbsup

Also I do not want my files on torrent so fuck that plan to index them on torrent. :hand If I attended them to be shared to the whole world I would have put them there. They are intended for friends here at FLM which makes this a true P2P site.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I guess there aren't simply enough people who are interested in *seeding* the rare movies, otherwise they would be available on torrent already. The bottleneck is always the upload bandwidth of seeders, regardless if eMule or torrent is used. I've no idea how to request reshare at TPB and similar, but requesting reshares here at FLM has worked fairly well so far :thumbsup

If there alternative sources like torrents, DD, online streaming, etc. available, they are frequently posted here... It is up to the poster what kind of sources he wants to provide, however an ed2k link is required for a REL, because other links are not persistent.