Why Not Use Bittorrent?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
emuler

Re: Why Not Use Bittorrent?

Post by emuler »   1 likes

AFAIK, torrent is not true p2p as some site must host and manage the torrent. If the site dies, the torrent dies. If the seeds disappear, the torrent dies. DHT tries to address some of these issues, but with limited success.

You are welcome to post any kinds of links that you are able to find, but the aim should be to end up with a working ed2k link. Even material from youtube and similar sources are being downloaded and shared with ed2k links because ed2k links last longer.

If you have limited bandwidth, (like me), you can post both (e.g. post the ed2k link from the file in your shared folder AND post the link to the torrent or DDL where you got it from, so those with high speeds can download from there, put it in their shared folder and become additional sources and thus help you share the file. That is my preferred method of releasing a file, since getting something from me alone would be very frustrating.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

So....
middy wrote:New member here, just making a suggestion. Emule is extremely slow so why not use bittorrents instead?
but....
BizarreLoveTriangle wrote:I think bittorrent is not faster, it just depends on the number of sources..
and ...
ghost wrote:Torrents are faster, but this is an ed2k forum. Emule is not very fast, but you find much more rare movies there. And: They stay much much longer.

I tend to agree with ALL of the above, but this is just anecdotal. To make definitive statements on the supposed higher torrent speeds, we should do the following test: ten users download the same 100Mb file via both torrents and eMule and then see which one is faster.
With all the technical precautions of course, to make that comparable.

Not to stir anything up, but THAT would be the scientific method. And like my gran used to say: "Science is merely common sense, repeated often"
Zorijer

Post by Zorijer »   0 likes

Isn't download speed on either of those networks just a question of how much bandwidth the uploader has alloted to you this time?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Zorijer wrote:Isn't download speed on either of those networks just a question of how much bandwidth the uploader has alloted to you this time?
Partially. If you have 1 seeder sending at 1M and 10 seeders each sending at 100K, the file will probably complete first with the 100K uploaders because the 1M uploader will send, in eMules case, a little over 9M at a time and then you go to the back of the line and have to wait, and how long that takes depends on how many people are in front of you. The 100K uploaders will give you more chances because each will send at different times so you're downloading almost continuously - while you're at the back of the line of some of them, you're also in the middle and the front of the line of others.

We've been oriented on eMule for almost 15 years because files tend to stay available for a long, long time, and it's often the only place you'll find rare films to download. It's easy to keep things available - all you need is hard drive space - and it's easy to share without any special effort. There are lots of files here with direct download links, and a few with torrent links, but a file isn't a [REL]ease until it has an eMule link. That doesn't mean the other methods aren't welcome and it doesn't mean eMule will be the sole download method forever. but it works for us.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

The real answer is that probably everyone ALREADY uses BitTorrent when it suits their purposes.
There's ideological, there's taste, but there's also practicality. I for one, can not imagine anyone saying: "Yes, I've been hunting that laserdisc version of that movie for years, but since it's only gettable via torrents, I won't do that, no, I will be waiting the 3,5 months on eMule"
But maybe there are people like that, and so be it.

IMHE (in my humble experience), one uses different methods for different things:
torrent for the recent US tv-shows or movies, Soulseek for all music stuff, especially rare music like Tibetan Gay Choir Boy singers (etc. etc.) plus well-known arthouse movies and epubs, comic books.
And eMule for the Really Really Old Stuff. And Uloz for Japanese anime aimed at teen girls ....

Triela wrote:To make definitive statements on the supposed higher torrent speeds, we should do the following test: ten users download the same 100Mb file via both torrents and eMule and then see which one is faster.
With all the technical precautions of course, to make that comparable.

Not to stir anything up, but THAT would be the scientific method. And like my gran used to say: "Science is merely common sense, repeated often"
That's all well and good, but it will still be hard to say, because those users will download from different locations, via different ISP's etc. etc. IF it's possible to Ceteris Paribus it, as in: to create an 'all things being equal situation' yes, THEN it would be scientific.
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

eMule makes it easy to *share* stuff. Ideally most links posted here can be reshared by some of the FLM members on demand. This will be difficult to ensure with torrents and other. I think this is the logic behind requiring an ed2k link for releases. Any method is good for downloading.

On the other hand, it is true that eMule is not very future-proof. AFAIK it depends on IPv4 and getting a public IPv4 address with open ports (high ID) directly from ISP will be more and more difficult and may require a paid VPN server.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:eMule makes it easy to *share* stuff. Ideally most links posted here can be reshared by some of the FLM members on demand. This will be difficult to ensure with torrents and other. I think this is the logic behind requiring an ed2k link for releases. Any method is good for downloading.

On the other hand, it is true that eMule is not very future-proof. AFAIK it depends on IPv4 and getting a public IPv4 address with open ports (high ID) directly from ISP will be more and more difficult and may require a paid VPN server.
i never ever have 'High ID' anymore. IDK what's going on there. eMule seems very, very slow, but I never download truly populair stuff, like The Foundation series, or say,... Book of Boba Fett via eMule
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Well, having an High ID totally depends on your port-forwarding setup, iow, you need to set up ports on your modem AND e-mule client to get full high ID. Hi ID isn't something you simply "get". It all depends on you and your modem settings.

I agree with mimzy though, as most common nowadays providers give you a IPv6 client, while you really need a IPv4 client to be able to do the above. Giving them a call and (as my manual instructed "negotiate") ask them for a IPv4 connection should do the trick.

The amount of IPv4 adresses is limited though, so sooner than later we'll all have an IPv6 allocation and we'll have to find another way to connect to KAD.

Don't go quietly into the night.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   3 likes

popdrome wrote:Giving them a call and (as my manual instructed "negotiate") ask them for a IPv4 connection should do the trick.
Are you allowed to share the details of your "negotiation," or do you have a non-disclosure agreement? If you tell anyone, will no-necked goons come around and break your legs? You didn't have to do anything terrible like give them your first-born??!?! They just wanted more money, right, like any normal business?

Or did you just have to do an Oliver Twist and say "Please, sir, I want some more ... connectivity options"? A few tears and a quivering lip, their heart breaks and they give in? Clearly they did not smack you with a ladle and then lock you up.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
popdrome wrote:Giving them a call and (as my manual instructed "negotiate") ask them for a IPv4 connection should do the trick.
Are you allowed to share the details of your "negotiation," or do you have a non-disclosure agreement? If you tell anyone, will no-necked goons come around and break your legs? You didn't have to do anything terrible like give them your first-born??!?! They just wanted more money, right, like any normal business?

Or did you just have to do an Oliver Twist and say "Please, sir, I want some more ... connectivity options"? A few tears and a quivering lip, their heart breaks and they give in? Clearly they did not smack you with a ladle and then lock you up.
:lol: What did I just read? Haha!
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!