Its all just bad

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Debaser

Its all just bad

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Apologies if this has already been asked, I just want to find a simple solution to an annoying problem. A solution that doesn't require me to have a degree in IT.
For ages now my eMule is showing low ID, whether I am using KAD or servers.
XP firewall is off, and iv also tried completely turning off ZoneAlarm in case it was that the problem, but it makes no difference at all.
Oh and KAD says firewalled twice. Strange even when I have the firewall shutdown.
I don't use a router (apparently that means something), and I have little understanding of what ports are.

I am getting really frustrated because I am unable to search for files and no one appears to be uploading from me these days, and so would love to know what button I push to make eMule work properly again :?

Thank you
reastavachi

Re: Its all just bad

Post by reastavachi »   0 likes

Hello Debaser,
first of all, what type of Internet connection do you use ? Nowadays everyone uses a router : Modems are always routers, too. Or else you can only connect 1 single PC to the Internet using your modem LOL
What you need to do is to access your modem/router setup - usually just type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser - and find the option that allows you to grant access to certain protocols for certain IPs... I know you do not have any IT degree. I'm offering to help you, step by step. I might not be the best, but I'm still quite good (I believe LOL).
To make it short, let's do it short post by short post.
First, try to access your modem setup. When you manage, make a post here to tell me you succeeded. I'll drive you to the second step : get a permanent IP address and set up open slots.
Reasta'
Debaser

Hi Reasta, thanks for your reply.
I have a wireless cable modem, but my PC is connected directly to it for more speed.
I've just done an online speed test (31.42mbps up / 1.86mbps down), so hopefully that means speed isn't an issue.
I've search for both of those numbers and I get lots of webpage results, including this one: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/rout ... _1_def.htm
That page is full of tutorials, but I don't see what has suddenly changed with my PC that now requires me to spend a day reading all of the tutorials, when everything was once fine.
Perhaps ill take a look at my ISP's webpage to see how I access my modem, then let you know when I have accessed it
Debaser

OK, according to my ISP I have to type one the numbers you just gave me into the address bar, but all that happens is this:
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.1
Debaser

Well that's an hour of my life down the toilet lol. Any other suggestions, short of phoning my ISP, because it takes an hour to get through to some guy in India that never knows what im talking about.
reastavachi

Sorry I was away, just got back. I don't know where you live, anyway, if 192.168.0.1 is your gateway, then you *should* have access to it. Here in France, we have one ISP who allows to access its modems via a keyword. Maybe that's the case for you, too.
Coming to a more practical issue, depending on your OS, do you know how to reach your network properties ? I can explain you if you wish, but if you know how to, please give me 1/ your LOCAL ip address, and your gateway address. If the gateway differs from 192.168.0.1, then we have a clue...
Debaser

No worries, I appreciate the help.
Gateway is 192.168.0.1. ip is the same but ends with a 4 instead of 1
I did that by doing the run CMD thing. Hmmmm is that where Run DMC got their name from?
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

It is possible that the router access page is on a different IP address. Running an IP scan should find it. Dunno if you're up to it.
Something like this: http://angryip.org/w/Home
Debaser

I have no idea what im doing.... So I have to download something called angry ip scanner, and this will get eMule working?
I thought this was going to be simple. What about if I just re-install eMule because it was working fine a few months ago.

"It is possible that the router access page is on a different IP address." This is like another language to me. What is it to do with eMule being able to download files like it used to?

"Dunno if you're up to it" is that t say im about to do something dangerous and or complicated?

I used to think I had a good basic understanding of PC's but apparently I have no idea at all anymore.

I just want to be downloading and uploading files today but this feels like a lot of work has to be done to fix something that I didn't break
Last edited by Debaser on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reastavachi

No no no !!! Don't install anything, you don't need to. All you need is :
1/ Access your modem parameters
2/ Add your IP with a TCP or UDP protocol (and the ports you set up in eMule)
3/ Reboot eMule.
No additional software is needed !