[REL] Shurayukihime aka Lady Snowblood (Japan 1973)

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

[REL] Shurayukihime aka Lady Snowblood (Japan 1973)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   37 likes

Shurayukihime aka Lady Snowblood
[Image]
Yuki's family is nearly wiped out before she is born due to the machinations of a band of criminals. These criminals kidnap and brutalize her mother but leave her alive. Later her mother ends up in prison with only revenge to keep her alive. She creates an instrument for this revenge by purposefully getting pregnant. Though she dies in childbirth, she makes sure that the child will be raised as an assassin to kill the criminals who destroyed her family. Young Yuki never knows the love of a family but only killing and revenge.
This is sorta kinda on-topic - Yuki has a a flashback of growing up and training to be an assassin so she can get revenge for the murder of her family but it's only about 5 minutes long (there is an OT scene). This is a typical samurai movie with lots of exaggerated blood and overacting but still fun. There are several versions available - this one is fair quality and has hardcoded English subs. Not my rip, probably from VHS. I'll post the links and let the admins decide whether it should be classified as a release.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0158714
http://www.rarefilmfinder.com/showfilm.php?id=16410

[Image][Image][Image]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [501.38 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [467.62 Mb]
FLL

Re: [REL] Shurayukihime aka Lady Snowblood (Japan 1973)

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Yes, this qualifies as a REL. The portion with the young girl is short but briefly OT, and you have made that clear so people can make their own decision as to whether it's worth a download. Moving this to Japan REL. Thanks Phuzzy!
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

Thanks Phuzzy miss this one too :dance
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

I see there's several torrents at 720 and 1080p that have appeared online. Check out this and search (use a pop-up blocker):
https://www.limetorrents.info/browse-torrents/Movies - the 1080p one has about 25+ seeds so you should be able to get it.
There's a English subtitle on https://www.opensubtitles.org/en that has the same timing as that file.
FYI - the 1080p one has the OT scene for those interested - seems it's ripped from a Criterion version - so you'd expect it to be uncut.

There's a link to the film here plus a bit of discussion on the film - think it partly inspired Kill Bill (snow, blood, swords, a woman out for revenge, etc):
http://rarefilm.net/lady-snowblood-shur ... ler-drama/
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

Oh my god I have about 200 blu-rays in my collection that claim on the back of the box that they "inspired Kill Bill". It is not my fault that I happen to like some of the same types of movies that Q does, because I knew about them before I knew about him!

But yes, "Lady Snowblood" is one of those source movies, and an important one. I just think that as an FLM entry it is a disappointment, because the young girl's time on screen is so brief.

If you like Japanese swordplay or classic revenge flicks, then this one is mandatory.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Hey any excuse to squeeze in some martial arts or samurai (I know this isn't samurai) movies around here, take it!

This particular one (Lady Snowblood) came as an early suggestion to me during my rampant hunt for kung fu and chanbara films. I'll have to squeeze it in somewhere between the 26 Zatoichi films.

Oh my god I have about 200 blu-rays in my collection that claim on the back of the box that they "inspired Kill Bill".
No kidding, right? During my splurge on downloading martial arts/samurai related movies, I think I came across about as many that claimed the same thing!
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:29 am
Night457 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:51 amOh my god I have about 200 blu-rays in my collection that claim on the back of the box that they "inspired Kill Bill".

No kidding, right? During my splurge on downloading martial arts/samurai related movies, I think I came across about as many that claimed the same thing!

Kill Bill was a love letter to over-the-top martial arts movies, so pretty much any of them could make that claim.

Wow Night ... you have even more discs in your collection than I do! And 90% of mine were downloaded and recorded to BD-R. :D
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

But the point of my post as well is that it's good to replace the mpg quality links with 1080p Criterion quality :)
Nobody had posted in 12 years!