[REL] Ferien mit Silvester (1992)

mimzy

Re: [REL] Ferien mit Silvester (1992)

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

I don't know the word "unmatted", but I've been using MPlayer a lot and its manual says:

crop[=w:h:x:y]
Crops the given part of the image and discards the rest. Useful
to remove black bands from widescreen movies.

Black bars are not exciting per se, but they can be an indication that the movie has been downloaded/recorded directly and not reencoded/modified. When looking at your comparison, the colors of ghost's version look a bit too warm, but it can be a problem of my monitor also.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Ferien mit Silvester (1992)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

mimzy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:27 am...
I have to admit you are right in all your points.

1) In editing a video, removing ANY part of the video image is to "crop" it. Even those now-useless black bars. I use that filter in my software too!
2) The original encode can be very useful for the reason you stated. I wish I could crop off black bars WITHOUT recoding it. I can't figure out exactly why video software can not copy 1:1 within a specific x-y-z region just the same as it can can copy 1:1 within a specific time frame. I can chop off the beginning and end of a video without recoding the remaining portion, why not the top and the bottom? Grrrr.
3) I don't think there is a problem with your monitor. The original looks rather drab and grey to me, and the 720p has the colors boosted. In some scenes it looks boosted a little bit too much with a yellow glow. But considering this is a child's summer adventure and not an angst-ridden depressing psychological drama, I was willing to forgive that. It just has a nostalgic summery glow.

I was probably interpreting it in terms of what interests me: an alternate aspect ratio version, if it is available.
[Here I go again -]
Spoiler:

Every single filmmaker will matte out (or "crop") the portion of the original negative image that they do not want the audience to see. Sometimes this eliminates overhead microphones; sometimes it focuses the attention on the most important part of the image; sometimes it just gives the producers and the movie theaters what they expect: a widescreen image. When we get to see the full camera negative image there can be surprising and delightful results. I did not think that would be the situation here, but that is always my immediate thought when someone talks about cropping. "Oh, this version does not hide the GOOD bits?"

I was brainwashed starting in the laserdisc era into seeking out "widescreen" versions of movies because I saw the dreadful examples of epic movies with the left and right of the image chopped off to fit 4:3 CRT TVs. (My first DVD set of Bondarchuk's 7+hour "War and Peace" was cropped on the sides, and I threw up in my mouth a little. I watched it anyway. Later I sought out the more expensive RUSCICO DVD set and was happy to see the wider theatrical aspect ratio, without the sides cut off.) I wanted to see the whole original image! Don't cheat me out of the picture!

But I never used a motion picture camera, and I had to wait for the Internet to come to me to read more about them. It was only later that I discovered that some widescreen is fake widescreen and does not show MORE image, but LESS image. You dirty rats! You lied to me! I wanna see more head space! I wanna see what's going on down below, too!

Hence a new obsession begins ...