Is KAD network still safe ?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
goku33

Re: Is KAD network still safe ?

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

mimzy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:10 pm
What I find interesting is that @Heyena in their eMule Tutorial on here, was only adding one forwarded port at their vpn provider and then used that port for both the TCP and UDP port settings in eMule. Not sure if it’s a good idea to use the same port for udp and tcp there.

[Image]

Anyways, should be all good then:
https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... pic=132456
Any number between 1 and 65535 will do - though a number above 1024 is strongly recommended. You should also not use the (old) default ports of 4661. If you want, you can use the same port number for both TCP & UDP so you can reduce the number of port forwarding/firewall rules for your router/firewall (if necessary).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I had used the same port in my most recent setup because it was more convenient for some reason. Glad that someone approves of that approach.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I have two questions regarding KAD:

1. How useful is it for people with LowID?

2. Can we set up a KAD node for FLM? If we start using it we'd find sources quicker, I expect. People can volunteer to share their IP address and port ( should be safe for those using a VPN ).

Admins: please move to a new thread if necessary.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

emuler wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:28 am 2. Can we set up a KAD node for FLM?
:huh

Each eMule user is a KAD node (if using KAD). Not clear what you mean.
emuler

mimzy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:40 pm
emuler wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:28 am 2. Can we set up a KAD node for FLM?
Each eMule user is a KAD node (if using KAD). Not clear what you mean.
As per my limited understanding of KAD,
1. When your client connects to KAD, it picks a client from a list of known clients - clients who have connected to your client previously - and sends it your query. That client passes on the request to other clients that are connected to it, and each of those clients does the same - and so on.
2. This initial client might not be the optimal one so a lot of the requests will go to useless clients and to other useless clients who don't have the files you want and don't want the files you have. E.g. if the client picked happens to be one from whom you had downloaded some software, and the clients connected to it are also into software, you movie related query is likely to get lost as KAD is searching in the wrong pool.
3. If you know the IP address and port of someone here - eg. one of the admins - you can put in that information in the respective fields and bootstrap KAD from there. Unlike the random client picked in step 1, this client - and the clients connected to it - is much more likely to have the files you want and want the files you have. This is therefore more likely to yield better results than step 1.
4. If you make a nodes.dat file containing the IP address and port of several of the big guns here with HighID - preferably those using their client only for FLM stuff - and host it somewhere then the URL of this nodes.dat can be put in the respective fields and your client bootstrap KAD from there. This is likely to work even better as the clients in this nodes.dat are all useful and most likely to be connected to other useful clients.
emuler

I'm not exactly correct in my assumptions - close though.
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl ... ic_id=1266