[RREL] Maramao (1987)

moisan4

Re: [RREL] Maramao (1987)

Post by moisan4 »   0 likes

weepee wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:48 pm
So what does maramao mean in italian?
You could literally type "what does maramao mean in Italian?" into an Google, and read the top result. Like I did. Here it is:

Maranao, also spelled as Meranao, Meranaw and Maranaw, is the term used officially by the Philippine government in reference to the southern tribe who are now the people of the lake called Ranao in the Iranaon language, a predominantly Muslim region in the Philippines island of Mindanao. They are famous for their artwork, sophisticated weaving, wood and metal crafts, and their epic literature. The word Maranao, also spelled Maranaw is a misnomer as it does not have a sense in reference to nouns such as people, place or thing. The prefix MA- means 'to be', i.e., Maranao means to be lake. The real term is IRANAON which when pronounced fluently is IRANON meaning "People of the Lake," referring to the indigenous people who inhabited the lands around Lake Lanao whose principal town is Marawi City. The Maranaos are part of the wider Moro ethnic group, who constitute the sixth largest Filipino ethnic group. The life of the Maranaos is centered on Lake Lanao, the largest in Mindanao, and the second largest and deepest lake in the Philippines. This breathtakingly beautiful lake is surrounded with myths and legends, it is the main source of fisheries, and the main source of a hydroelectric plant installed on it; and the Agus River system that generates 70% of the electricity used by the people of Mindanao. A commanding view of the lake is offered by Marawi City, the provincial capital.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Yes, but ... the answer you found does not refer to the word "maramao" but a word that is close, "maranao". And it looks like the movie takes place in Sardinia (Italy), not the Philippines.

Maybe this Italian nursery rhyme? -
"Maramao" is a cat. In some versions of the song he represents the Carnival. The rhyme is recited on Shrove Tuesday, during the funeral of the Carnival, while the figure is being carried in its coffin to be burnt.

Maramao
Nursery Rhyme

Fra' Maramao, perché sei morto?
Pan e vin non ti mancava,
l'insalata era nell'orto
e una casa avevi tu!
Maramao, perché sei morto?

Maramao, why are you dead?
You had salad in the garden,
And a home, and wine and bread!
Maramao - I beg your pardon -
https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=887

I think the answer to the question in the rhyme is that salad, wine and bread is not food for cats. They want fish or meat, some kind of animal flesh.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:12 pm Yes, but ... the answer you found does not refer to the word "maramao" but a word that is close, "maranao". And it looks like the movie takes place in Sardinia (Italy), not the Philippines.

Maybe this Italian nursery rhyme? -
"Maramao" is a cat. In some versions of the song he represents the Carnival. The rhyme is recited on Shrove Tuesday, during the funeral of the Carnival, while the figure is being carried in its coffin to be burnt.

Maramao
Nursery Rhyme

Fra' Maramao, perché sei morto?
Pan e vin non ti mancava,
l'insalata era nell'orto
e una casa avevi tu!
Maramao, perché sei morto?

You had salad in the garden,
And a home, and wine and bread!
Maramao - I beg your pardon -
https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=887

I think the answer to the question in the rhyme is that salad, wine and bread is not food for cats. They want fish or meat, some kind of animal flesh.

The Carnivale in Italy happens right before Lent. On the final day, Fat Tuesday, this children's nursery rhyme often accompanies the mock funeral for a mascot puppet which represents the Carnivale. What that puppet looks like varies from region to region. It can resemble a cat person or a clown.

In the case of this movie, the title "Maramao" is a reference to that funeral - both figuratively, as an end to childhood, and literally at the end.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:42 pm In the case of this movie, the title "Maramao" is a reference to that funeral - both figuratively, as an end to childhood, and literally at the end.
THANK YOU! I have not seen the film so the exact connection was obscure to me.

I guess you are the right FLM member to explain funeral rites, deadman? :mrgreen:
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Thanks! Surprisingly I hadn’t come across this thread before.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:10 pm Thanks! Surprisingly I hadn’t come across this thread before.

Vanessa Gravina really is beautiful. You should also check out the thread for her debut film here: Colpo di fulmine (1985). I recommend the 1080p web-dl at the top of Page 2.