[REL] Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)

Tiny Blondie

Re: [REL] Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)

Post by Tiny Blondie »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:28 pm
Amadeus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 am
billanben wrote:Glorifying rape is a pretty sick thing to do imo. I watched this and was almost unable to watch the brutality, it is in keeping with the film's story however and is integral.

Disturbing film.
Right. I've seen the unedited cut. Very brutal. Makes Hounddog look like Miffy Bunny.
Could this be the most graphic & violent UA rape scene in mainstream cinema? Don’t get me wrong Livia Russo‘s scene in Mavri Emmanuelle isn’t for the soft ones as well. But obviously Jenna Malone was also much younger.
Agree, I really hate this movie, even if this is just a film and simulated violence. Just hate it.
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

But obviously Jenna Malone was also much younger.
Yes, but the difference is, that you don't see any naked skin.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Tiny Blondie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 pm Agree, I really hate this movie, even if this is just a film and simulated violence. Just hate it.
The usual defense and justification for this kind of unpleasant film is that it brings necessary attention to a serious social problem. This is an interesting theory but I am skeptical. Just how many child rapes have been prevented because of a movie?

I acknowledge the artistic merit of this movie and the sincerity of those making it, but I hate it too and never want to see it again.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:28 pm
Tiny Blondie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 pm Agree, I really hate this movie, even if this is just a film and simulated violence. Just hate it.
The usual defense and justification for this kind of unpleasant film is that it brings necessary attention to a serious social problem. This is an interesting theory but I am skeptical. Just how many child rapes have been prevented because of a movie?

I acknowledge the artistic merit of this movie and the sincerity of those making it, but I hate it too and never want to see it again.
I do think that some things have to be seen or shown for people to actually grasp the reality/violence of it. Maybe an „artistic“ film is a good or better choice for this than people watching real footage. Although yes, I don’t have to watch and don’t want to watch some isis beheading videos „just to confront myself with the harsh reality/world we live in“.

I DO think that child abuse, especially within the family, is often not well enoug understood by people. Not talked about enough. To this day, a lot of people still talk casually about getting beaten by their parent with a belt. That’s a horrific image to draw or to imagine. I already confront (mine and others) parents when they screamed too loud at their child. (There’s a difference between screaming cause your kid did something dangerous and should never do it again and just yelling at your kid to let out your rage).

An adult family friend once screamed at me cause I was too close to the fire (I was used to handling fire as a kid, growing up in nature etc). It absolutely terrified me, that grown man screaming at me like this. Why not just explain things to the kid in a calm way..?

Anyways, I’m rambling. And I don’t have a Final answer to the moral question you raised about shooting scenes like this for more awareness/harsh truth.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

You make many valid points and it is well worth discussing ... as it has been since at least the time of ancient Greek drama! There will never be definitive answers to the nature and validity of artistic expression because it is inherently subjective.

I certainly prefer an artistic representation to actual footage, which involves all sorts of legal and moral issues as to how it was obtained and the value in showing it publicly.

Of course many people have experienced the reality and do not need a ****ing movie to understand it.

My belief is that most children are not sufficiently intellectually developed to listen to and fully comprehend calm reason. But I think you are right that screaming is probably counterproductive!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:55 pm
My belief is that most children are not sufficiently intellectually developed to listen to and fully comprehend calm reason. But I think you are right that screaming is probably counterproductive!
I think it depends. Many underestimate how smart children can be (I know they can also be morons lol).

I know someone that had to leave the cinema because they showed a rape scene with soldiers after WW2 and the person had lived through that in reality.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I was a very smart child and would have responded well to attempts at discussion -- at least by age 8 or so, anyway. Younger than that I know my reaction to being yelled at was fear and anger, although I can acknowledge that those doing it meant well and I can understand why they did so. Eventually I forgave them!

Intellectually speaking I have admittedly gotten much stupider since. I was so much more intelligent as a child. Also I am not sure how effective reasoned discussion would be now, because I can be rather set in my opinions ... but I at least know enough to admit it.

Most of my schoolmates were pretty damn stupid, though, and probably are still intellectually impenetrable.

As for movies: I am absolutely convinced that at this point, no movie will ever make me aware of any problem I don't already know about, and none of them will ever change my mind about anything either. (I certainly have my own ideas about potential solutions to the problems of the world, but this is not the site for THOSE discussions.) Those social problem movies will likely just make me angry or depressed.

This movie IS a really good one and worth watching once for sure, for those who are warned and prepared for it. (NO fair sneaking it on the unsuspecting!) I just don't care to repeat it, because I know it won't do me any good. "Catharsis" no longer works for me.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 pm Intellectually speaking I have admittedly gotten much stupider since. I was so much more intelligent as a child.
Oh, I feel you.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

I was not aware of child abuse, the same if it was maltreatment, it was enough for me to hear a real testimony of the consequences of non-consensual forced sex and the victim suffers and I know that most are far from understanding.

This movie is a double game, it shows how harmful abuse can be, but it also romanticizes it. and as he said Night457.
Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:28 pm Just how many child rapes have been prevented because of a movie?
It is not easy if a film avoids a violation but it is not certain to determine if they also increased after being released
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:28 pm The usual defense and justification for this kind of unpleasant film is that it brings necessary attention to a serious social problem. This is an interesting theory but I am skeptical. Just how many child rapes have been prevented because of a movie?

I personally defend these movies as a means of self expression and that's about it. The idea of a movie spreading awareness of a very obvious issue is a little goofy to me, personally. I'd be more likely to think it might spread unnecessary fear before anything else. But I do strongly believe in an artist's ability to display their experiences or internal expressions as accurately and unflinchingly as possible so long as no one is actually harmed in the process.

I just heard about this film in a youtube video so I came to read people's reactions, but hearing it described as a more messed up Hounddog means it probably isn't for me :lol:

I do enjoy nasty movies, but there has to be some meat on the bone that it would hold up well if some of the misery was removed. For example, Korean movie Lady Vengeance // Original title: Chinjeolhan geumjassi is one of my favorite movies ever and it is very somber and violent at times, but it is so beautifully shot I'd enjoy it if much of that was toned back.

Just realized Night457 has a thread for Lady Vengenace: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=13078&hilit=Chinjeolhan although he def seemed to enjoy less than me :lol:
Last edited by marvingray on Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.