[REL] Pünktchen und Anton (1999)

David32441

Re: [REL] Pünktchen und Anton (1999)

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

I did do my own re-encode in handbrake - made a smaller 3gb file for my own keeping :)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pistachio wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:39 am I was in the middle of transcribing the audio and I saw your reply.
Aaaaaack!!! It would have been a good idea to put a little more effort into looking for existing text first! I did not have any trouble FINDING subtitles, I just had trouble remembering the details ... particularly late at night, when I did not have the motivation and energy to check the hard drive. Maybe that was a sign that I should have refrained from my first post and said nothing until I could be more definite. But my typing fingers have a mind of their own!

If you were transcribing the German then you must at least have a beginner's ear for the language, if not full proficiency. Would you check the German subtitles and see that it is at least fairly accurate to the audio? There are times I can listen effectively to a language I do not know, and this was not one of them. (There are even times I don't have the mental strength to listen to my OWN language with comprehension.)
I'm sure you'll attribute that to age, but it probably has more to do with doing millions of tasks at one time.
No, it is age. And poor sleep habits. Plus most anything I do with subtitles is so automatic that they all blend together. "That German Punk movie? Yeah, I think I did something. I did not post the results, so I guess there was some problem with it ...."
The timing isn't so bad. It could use some tweaking
In the limited time I was dealing with it, I was guessing that the text available was massively simplified and NOT an exact dialog match, so that its appearance was not strictly timed to the time spent speaking it. The only timing adjustments I did were to the start and end times for a few portions while viewing the waveform. I was not ENTIRELY certain that maybe I was dealing with a video version with slightly more or less footage at reel changes, as a result of a new restoration/master and transfer. A mere eight frames difference at each reel change and the subtitles will go out of sync every 11 minutes. My usual start and end adjustments would just make a mess of it, and I did not have enthusiasm for watching an entire movie NEW TO ME to adjust the subtitles manually throughout! That is way too much plot spoilers even for me.
but the translation itself needs to be cleaned up a bit.
INDEED it does. Google Translate of German to English has not improved nearly as much as it ought to have, what with the centuries of competent human translation available for input. I do not know if that is due to modern colloquial German changing faster than the computers can keep up with ... because this movie does basically consist of children's chatter rather than scholarly disquisition, right? But if you have an enthusiasm for clean up work, please HAVE AT IT!!!! I know I would not mind having an improved subtitle before I get around to my very first viewing. (Which is usually a delay of months, honestly.)

P.S.: another site that should always be checked for children's movies is the.nextthing.club, and they have several very competent subtitle translators. For this movie they are still working from a machine translation also.
Night457
Global Moderator

P.P.S: Specifications for Zsofia's 10Gb file:

Code: Select all

General           : Pünktchen und Anton (1999)\YDRAY-PA.mkv
Format            : Matroska at 13.2 Mb/s
Length            : 9.65 GiB for 1 h 44 min 45 s 24 ms
Video #0          : AVC at 13.0 Mb/s
Aspect            : 1920 x 1080 (1.778) at 25.000 fps
Audio #0          : E-AC-3 at 224 kb/s
Infos             : 2 channels, 48.0 kHz
Language          : de
No watermarks so it may be a blu-ray rip? I know there are active TNT members here, so I hope you are paying attention to grab it for a reshare there. TNT currently has the DVD9.

(Confession ... I have not even learned the posting rules there ... :oops: )
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

No watermarks so it may be a blu-ray rip?
Looks to me like a Amazon Prime Video Web-Dl. They always use E-AC-3 at 224 kb/s for stereo sound.
Night457
Global Moderator

Aha! Now that I think about it, that is not a codec I typically see from Blu-ray. I had no idea Amazon files could be so large.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I had no idea Amazon files could be so large.
Yes, they are. They (often) use a very high bitrate.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:03 am
No watermarks so it may be a blu-ray rip?
Looks to me like a Amazon Prime Video Web-Dl. They always use E-AC-3 at 224 kb/s for stereo sound.
Disney use E-AC-3 5.1 for a few shows that appear on torrents. Annoying as my hardware mp4 player only like AC3 2 -> 5.1 so I have to do a re-encode. But Handbrake can handle that re-encode and change it back :)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Ok, I've gathered up a few resources to begin work, including subs that Night posted, along with this webTV file from BK, which contains colorful German subs.

I also found this on uloz:
https://ulozto.net/file/iQWES0serEb2/pu ... -webtv-mkv

Which turned out to be the same video with added Russian VO and same subs. The timing on the subs for both of these files is just a little skewed, just slightly off enough to be noticed.

This looks like a wonderful movie, it'll be exciting tinkering around with this.

I'll be away from home for a few days. When I get back, I will finish the last sub project (it won't take long), and then I'll begin work on this.
Night457
Global Moderator

I hope you and pistachio are collaborating, it would be a shame to duplicate your work. I am sure it does not surprise you that I noticed the bk/uloz files. I did not mention them because they are the same framerate but about 3 minutes shorter! I did not download them to verify but that suggests missing footage to me. But even so, if the subtitles are better than the ones I provided from opensubtitles, they can be a great help for an improved translation.
pistachio

Post by pistachio »   2 likes

Pillowbaker and I have been working on a new set of subs, and we should be posting it in a day or two.

They're better than what you'd expect from a commercial release, I think, and about a thousand times better than the hearing-impaired subtitles from opensubs or the multicolored subs from BK.