[REL] A Menina Do Lado (1987) [Brazil]

goku33

Re: [REL] A Menina Do Lado (1987) [Brazil]

Post by goku33 »   2 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:58 am
Spoiler:

Most movies are owned by somebody or some corporation somewhere, often having no connection to the original production. The director is dead, although co-writer / AD / producer Elisa Tolomelli seems to be alive. Maybe we could ask her? I don't know what kind of copyright-vetting is done by Vimeo for paid content. This Vimeo channel owner Saulo Moretzsohn was in college at the time the movie was made, according to his F***book page. He may have acquired the rights later.

I also know that online trailers often look like crud, even if the movie looks better. Paying someone to restore a trailer is often low on the list of priorities, particularly for low budget productions. But it does not exactly inspire anyone to fork over money for a rental.
goku33 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:26 amI guess we’d have to bypass the drm with StreamFab or similar.
I have never done paid streaming ever, but I know that some people routinely do so and record the result. Of course it takes someone who is actually interested in the movie!
It is also still possible that he just used a Higher quality clip and then the actual full film will be the same version that’s Still even available on YouTube.
He would just be begging for a beating, then, which seems rather foolish and unlikely. That does not seem very "PRO" as the video is labeled. I am going to assume a legitimate SD source unless there is proof otherwise.
Now I just wonder how we could have missed this 2015 Vimeo upload all this time..?
Don't you people ever use Google? :lol: It was not that hard for me to find! I just did not bother to look until now.
I admit I rarely use google and mostly DuckDuckGo/Yandex but usually for rare stuff like this I will also look at google results.

The „PRO“ label is for his VimeoPRO account, not a label for the videos. It means he’s a paid customer of Vimeo like most professional filmmakers on the platform are.

You bring up a great point in that often the old trailers are low quality but hard to remaster (or not worth the effort/time with cuts and music etc) while the newly remastered full film will be much better quality.

In this case The preview Clip doesn’t look like an actual trailer to me - but just a random excerpt of the (full) film?

The previews for the directors other films on that Video-On-Demand page also don’t Look give more hope regarding high visual quality or a potential remastered version.

I would HOPE for someone to sell this film on Vimeo to have paid for a full 35mm remaster..but then again with the quite low price he’s asking for I don’t think this is likely (to be fair it’s a Brazilian movie so he will mostly not be selling to Canadian or American people with higher incomes / prices).

My belief has been that the co-writer and producer Elisa Tolomelli‘s company still owns the distribution rights as they list it on their website that I posted in my previous post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 am The „PRO“ label is for his VimeoPRO account, not a label for the videos.
That is true, I just did not do a good job expressing it. I figured it just meant that he was charging money! (That is what defines a professional, after all: they get paid.)
In this case The preview Clip doesn’t look like an actual trailer to me - but just a random excerpt of the (full) film?

It did not have the rigorous Approved Trailer Format that Hollywood demands, certainly. But random excerpt(s) IS basically what a trailer is.
I would HOPE for someone to sell this film on Vimeo to have paid for a full 35mm remaster..
Don't be ridiculous! That is too much hope for me. Remasters cost money. But then, I am used to decades of studio DVDs made from vintage unimproved telecines. It is only when collectors wised up and demanded better that the studios said "Oh, maybe we should clean up some of this old junk and make it look good."

This is the usual procedure:
  • Unaltered transfer to DVD. It sells.
  • Standard definition restoration to DVD. It sells.
  • Special edition restored DVD with extras. It sells.
  • Standard definition restoration uprezzed for Blu-ray. It sells.
  • 2k restoration on Blu-ray. It sells.
  • Special edition of that restoration on Blu-ray. It sells.
  • 4k restoration on Blu-ray with vintage bonus features on Blu-ray. It sells.
  • Brand new super limited edition Blu-ray with poster, book, art cards, CD soundtrack and enamel pin in a hardbox with brand new commentary by some podcaster and hours of featurettes. It sells.
  • The same recycled 8 months later for 4k UHD. It sells.
  • Japan streams the new 8k restoration for the really rich people with 8k TVs.
Streaming is newer so it does not have so many steps, but the general idea of reinvesting profits from an earlier version into a new and improved version still applies.
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:19 pm
Spoiler:

Highly doubt its a better or legit offering

http://www.filmesraros.com.br/Detalhes.asp?CodProd=5282

Most likely the same old awful quality as the one on YouTube and eMule.
Another listing for apparently the same DVD, available for 79.40 BRL ($16.11 USD):
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB ... 1be4dbec93

Translation:
Description
this ad is for the VHS to DVD CONVERSION of this film

CONVERSION MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL TAPE - price 79.40
product already with COLORFUL BOOKLET
ATTENTION the booklet EXACTLY as in the PHOTO OF THE ADVERTISEMENT

if your looking for the VIDEO TAPE please call one of our salespeople and see if available

ATTENTION as it is a CONVERTED TAPE 30 YEARS OLD, failures may occur
during playback but nothing that disturbs the context of the film
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:56 am
this ad is for the VHS to DVD CONVERSION of this film

CONVERSION MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL TAPE - price 79.40
product already with COLORFUL BOOKLET
ATTENTION the booklet EXACTLY as in the PHOTO OF THE ADVERTISEMENT

if your looking for the VIDEO TAPE please call one of our salespeople and see if available

ATTENTION as it is a CONVERTED TAPE 30 YEARS OLD, failures may occur
during playback but nothing that disturbs the context of the film
It’s likely that this Vimeo upload is a VHSRip and the same or similar to the one being sold on Dvd on mercadolive.

It would surprise me if the OFFFICAL Brazilian VHS had also that TV logo the previously shared versions had.

[Image]

i don’t I‘ve posted the pictures of the Japanese LaserDisc & VHS before on here? I should pull them out. I’ve tried to reach out to a collector of these but haven’t heard back from them in months. The old Tweets about the laserdisc are deleted by now.

I still found another, different tweet where someone mentioned the LD having been transferred to dvd but not being readable anymore or something.
Edit: I did another translation of the Japanese. Apparently the dvd transfer isn’t readable anymore but they still owned the original LD which allegedly has great image quality.
Night457
Global Moderator

I saw that picture of the Brazilian VHS and also saw the Japanese VHS. I did not encounter the laserdisc, but I was not looking for it either. I can imagine old TV broadcasts from a video source but I would not expect the TV logo on the commercial videotape either.

There are laserdisc enthusiasts out there still but I do not know how motivated they are to "rip" them nowadays. They tend to believe it is the best format ever, so why would they convert it to anything else?
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:37 pm I saw that picture of the Brazilian VHS and also saw the Japanese VHS. I did not encounter the laserdisc, but I was not looking for it either. I can imagine old TV broadcasts from a video source but I would not expect the TV logo on the commercial videotape either.

There are laserdisc enthusiasts out there still but I do not know how motivated they are to "rip" them nowadays. They tend to believe it is the best format ever, so why would they convert it to anything else?
Yes, I know enough people that could digitalize it for me and are big LD enthusiasts.
Night457
Global Moderator

Great! Are the Japanese subtitles optional or hardcoded?
goku33

deadman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:03 am ..
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:01 am Ah, the movie that still eludes you, goku.

Well, the hunt continues.

I downloaded a 1.4 GB Version and it is much better quality than the 830MB and 1.3GB versions i previously discussed. I only still have to compare it to the version first shared in this thread (as the official release of the thread) because they do look similar in quality.
weepee

Post by weepee »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:20 pm
deadman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:03 am ..
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:01 am Ah, the movie that still eludes you, goku.

Well, the hunt continues.

I downloaded a 1.4 GB Version and it is much better quality than the 830MB and 1.3GB versions i previously discussed. I only still have to compare it to the version first shared in this thread (as the official release of the thread) because they do look similar in quality.
Result?
goku33

weepee wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:18 pm
Result?
Thanks for the reminder, I’ll check again my files & notes,