How to understand what my "Shared Files" screen says?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Walter

How to understand what my "Shared Files" screen says?

Post by Walter »   0 likes

Mostly, some of the numbers. Here's one screenshot:

[Image]

I understand most of it, but in the column labeled "Requests" what do the numbers means? For instance it says "19 (189)" for "Emanuelle, Queen of Sados" and "18 (38)" for "Emanuelle's Daughter" (yes, I'm sharing two versions of the same movie).

Here's another screenshot:

[Image]

Under the "Comple..." column, it says "1 - 3" for "Emanuelle, Queen of Sados" and "2" for "Emanuelle's Daughter" - what do those numbers mean?

Pardon if any of these questions are stump-dumb, but... :oops:
pillowbaker

Re: How to understand what my "Shared Files" screen says?

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

You know, good question. I admit I have mildly wondered the same thing, but mostly ignored the seemingly extraneous numbers on the emule and torrent clients. If no one comes forward with an easy answer, I'll do a little digging.

That said, I am impressed with your upload quantities for the films you're sourcing. Nice job there!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Walter wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:26 am Under the "Comple..." column, it says "1 - 3" for "Emanuelle, Queen of Sados" and "2" for "Emanuelle's Daughter" - what do those numbers mean?
Expand the header of the column and you will see it says "Complete sources". This must be the number of people currently (in an undefined time period) sharing the file complete. There have been occasions when it appears this number is not accurate, because it was not counting ME.

I have never understood how it can give a RANGE of numbers. "Oh, there are one to three people sharing it, I dunno."
Night457
Global Moderator

Walter wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:26 am I understand most of it, but in the column labeled "Requests" what do the numbers means? For instance it says "19 (189)" for "Emanuelle, Queen of Sados" and "18 (38)" for "Emanuelle's Daughter"
"Requests" are the number of times another client asked for (got in the queue for) a file you have. The smaller number is the number of Requests for the current session (since the most recent restart) and the larger number is the Total number of Requests for however long statistics are compiled. If you stop sharing a file for a while (remove it from a shared folder) and then reshare it much later, it should have reset the Total to zero. If your known.met statistics file gets corrupted and has to start over, it will also go back to zero for all values.

Requests and downloads occur in bits and pieces, so this number does NOT mean the total number of complete uploads you have accomplished. The "Transferred Data" column gives a better idea of that, with the smaller number the current session and the larger (in parentheses) for all known sessions.
(yes, I'm sharing two versions of the same movie).
Yeah, tell me about it! :roll: I download so many versions of any particular movie, most of which I actually KEEP, so I end up sharing multiple versions too. Until I need more drive space.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:56 am
Walter wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:26 am Under the "Comple..." column, it says "1 - 3" for "Emanuelle, Queen of Sados" and "2" for "Emanuelle's Daughter" - what do those numbers mean?
Expand the header of the column and you will see it says "Complete sources". This must be the number of people currently (in an undefined time period) sharing the file complete. There have been occasions when it appears this number is not accurate, because it was not counting ME.

I have never understood how it can give a RANGE of numbers. "Oh, there are one to three people sharing it, I dunno."
This is a very inexact estimation and is given only to files that were recently requested. I think the number of sources is given by requester, so if one client requests the file and says there is 1 complete source and another client says there are 3 complete sources, the result is 1-3 :roll:

Shortypower gives much more reasonable numbers, even though they use only known servers and no KAD.

https://ed2k.shortypower.org/?hash=28D3 ... 49BFE9CED0
https://ed2k.shortypower.org/?hash=4F9F ... E8022FDB76
Night457
Global Moderator

Thank you mimzy! It did not occur to me that the shortypower links would not include KAD (although it is obvious when I think about it), although they did seem more accurate than what my eMule client gave me.
Walter

Post by Walter »   0 likes

Thanks everyone! :D