[REL] Něžné vlny (2013)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Něžné vlny (2013)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:32 pm Thank you both! This movie has gone out of my mind, I'll give it another try. ;)
I see that GLORIOUS red hair and *I* am going out of my mind. OHHHH!!!
Night457, did you OCR them by yourself?
Well, yeah. I mean, SubtitleEdit did help a lot. It surprises me how accurate it is even with lower resolution DVD subtitles. (In case you misunderstood, they are NOT hardcoded subtitles, just typical optional DVD subtitles.) After it was done there were only about 600 lines, so it did not take long to compare the generated text to the original images and correct not just the OCR errors but the actual text correctly transcribed from the original DVD subtitles as well, where those had errors.
pillowbaker wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:15 pmOdd that the lower resolution file would have the 5.1 audio, too.
I keep noticing that over and over: 1080p sources (Web?) with only stereo, and DVD sources that have the 5.1. And these are modern movies, so it should not be FAKE 5.1 remixed with new music and effects as is sometimes done to older movies with terrible results. These should be actual filmmaker-approved audio mixes done when the movie was made.

I know ghost has muxed in 5.1 from a DVD to a higher resolution source. I wonder if he has any idea why the 5.1 audio keeps getting "lost"?
Let me know what you guys think of it, if you end up watching it.
I am halfway through another movie now but I want to get on to this one. (It is a good movie but I needed a nap, and then had to do computer work.) Unfortunately, I learned the entire plot with spoilers by reading through and correcting the subtitles. I will need some time to forget everything. Maybe a week or two?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:13 am I am halfway through another movie now but I want to get on to this one. (It is a good movie but I needed a nap, and then had to do computer work.) Unfortunately, I learned the entire plot with spoilers by reading through and correcting the subtitles. I will need some time to forget everything. Maybe a week or two?

Sounds good! If you're anything like me, the harder you want to forget, the more you'll remember those pesky details. So don't think about it at all! :lol: :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one who adores redheads!!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

(In case you misunderstood, they are NOT hardcoded subtitles, just typical optional DVD subtitles.)
Then, you ripped the subtitles. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

ghost wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:11 am Then, you ripped the subtitles. ;)
No, I did NOT rip the VobSub subtitles and reuse them as is in my final MKV remux. VobSubs are a "picture based subtitle format used on DVDs" and not editable text like in an SRT. First I converted the VIDEO_TS files to a full-copy MKV using MakeMKV. (Because I always use MKVs.) Then I opened that in VLC and selected the Engish subtitle track. Then it began the process of OCRing the subitle images and converting them to text. See the picture below for SIX mentions of "OCR":
OCR subtitle.jpg
I made the corrections after, before saving it to an SRT text file. SRT files are very easy to resync or reedit. Normally I leave them as an external file (which I shared in a previous post, to go with the TNT video), but this time I decided to use them as internal optional subtitles in my MKV remux.

SubtitleEdit calls converting subtitle images to text "OCR" and I have no reason to disagree with that. Doing the same thing with hard subtitles is much more difficult because the images are not already separate from the surrounding video. THAT is something I know YOU have done. I have not been enthusiastic enough to try again.

I suppose if I RIPPED the VobSubs to separate files, they would be SUB/IDX files. It has been awhile since I have done that because I always want plain text, easy to edit. If I wanted to rip subtitles with a non-Latin alphabet (Russian, Greek, Chinese) then I would probably go that route, because I would completely fail at correcting them. But I would likely want those subtitles for a translation rather than a reshare, so I would need text. If someone else had not already made text subtitles and posted them someplace like opensubitles.org, I would then quit and decide it was not worth the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

OMG! I have started something... :shock:

I just was saying this, because in the old days people were using programs like SubRip for "ripping" subtitles from a DVD. It is also OCR based. but It just was called "ripping subtitles". Anyway I understand what you did (even if you would have said it in 2 sentences :P ).
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:15 pm OMG! I have started something... :shock:
Well seriously, what did you expect? It is ME. :lol:
I just was saying this, because in the old days people were using programs like SubRip for "ripping" subtitles from a DVD. It is also OCR based. but It just was called "ripping subtitles".
:icon_old I 'member them days too! Sort of.

My beloved SRT stands for SubRip Text, after all, so I have to give credit where credit is due.

Although it would have been silly to call it SubOCR, wouldn't it, even though that is what it did? Most people say "What the heck is OCR??"
(even if you would have said it in 2 sentences :P ).
"I would not, could not with a goat!" :mrgreen:

You did not accept it when I said I OCRd it, and that is exactly what I did: I used SubtitleEdit to OCR the image-based DVD subtitles. (OK there, that was one sentence. Good? I guess I like green eggs and ham after all.) If someone is going to say "I am sorry but you are wrong", then I will either let it go without comment (ha! not often enough) or give a detailed explanation so that they at least understand WHY I said what I said, even if they still don't agree with it.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

You did not accept it when I said I OCRd it
I didn't accept it? :roll: It is not a matter of accepting or not accepting. I just wasn't sure for one little short moment, 'caus you also OCR hardsubs.

I surrender. :icon_surrender
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:56 pm 'caus you also OCR hardsubs.

I surrender. :icon_surrender
Actually, that is what *I* did when I attempted to OCR hardsubs. It was too difficult for me! After I got your advice on how to do it, I started to have some success on another project, and then I realized my download was FAKE and just the same scenes repeated over and over again, not the actual movie. Since then there have not been any hardsubs I have wanted to use. So I have yet to have a completed hardsub OCR. Maybe someday!

... now that I look back at my posts in this thread, I see that I variably said that I had "OCR-ripped" or "ripped" or "OCRd" the subtitles, so obviously I am not consistent in how I use the terminology. Anyone could be forgiven for questioning it!
Night457
Global Moderator

Mini-review first, direct-download link at bottom.
pillowbaker wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:15 pmLet me know what you guys think of it, if you end up watching it.
I actually watched my own Release, and did not wait the necessary two weeks to forget everything I read when I corrected the subtitles! I guess it is my own fault if I found the story "predictable", since I just read it. That is likely the source of my familiarity.

I was delighted to find out just exactly WHY the young boy was daring to reach under the dress of the girl he found so fascinating. (See my screenshots.) And the end result of that was almost surreal ...

In short, a young piano prodigy has an over-protective mother who is determined to make sure he never damages his precious HANDS, so she even pulls him out of the rougher gym class activities at school. Naturally, the bullies use that as an excuse to belittle and abuse him. The preteen versions of the children are only in the first third of the movie, and per my own preferences I would have liked to see more of them.

His father is perpetually angry, dealing with the disappointment of a huge public failure when he was a young man. He still is a sympathetic character, however, and his anger is usually safely expressed by obsessively chopping wood! Freudians out there, take note, because you know what this means thematically for the film.

The second 2/3 of the movie has our youngsters in their late teens. The gorgeous redhead is now a super hottie, clearly interested in our young hero. Although he does not realize quite how much he is preferred. HANDS are again important: he desperately wants to get his on HER. When he is not yet able to accomplish that, he finds ways to keep them busy ... and not just on the piano.

I have to agree with jezevex's initial 2014 post about the comedy: it is amusing, but I found some of the attempts at humor to fall flat. Sometimes I was cringing and thinking "Dude, that is NOT funny!" As for the Czech politics, I certainly won't get into them other than to note that it takes place in 1989 at the end of the Communist era. I will credit our horny young hero with being completely uninterested in politics, but rather in the luscious female object of his desire. Strike while the iron is hot! He can save the politics for when he is old.

All in all, I found it an enjoyable if not ground-breaking depiction of young love lust. Maybe it helped that I sympathized with his choice of girl he found so appealing!

I uploaded my Release to ulozto to join all the other versions there:
https://ulozto.net/file/hmh50ij0Io3f/ne ... qJZQx1Lt==