[REL] Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical (2022)

Nasuada

Re: [REL] Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical (2022)

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:25 pm Great job Stefan Duke, thank you! I did not download the initial Release but this one I will: I really do not understand German outside a handful of words but I definitely want to hear how well a dub works for singing. Also, I am a crackpot who enjoys musicals more if I do NOT pay attention to the lyrics, which I generally find awful. If I just listen to the German singing without English subtitles, then I will not have to think about the meaning of the words or even the plot, but just enjoy the music and voices.

Am I the only one who feels this way about musicals? Am I a loony tune? Heck, I like "Xanadu" even though it is REALLY STUPID.
I was a bit surprised about the translation of the songs. So they spend a bit power in that project and after I watched the movie, I try to found the OST on iTunes and yep, they have it BUT only in english. So it was a bit strange for me to hear now the english songs ;-)

Not sure how good they translated the songs from the english Version, but the German text sounds good enought to like it.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

You know when songs are translated they still need to be *songs* and work lyrically, so a literal translation is never really possible. There is the same problem with translating poetry. Much of the pleasure of poetry and song is how it SOUNDS, rather than strictly what it MEANS. Getting the meaning "close enough" is fine, and keeping the lyrical quality is a huge accomplishment.

(Of course I have made it clear that I am sometimes uninterested in the meaning entirely. :D I regret having learnt in an English-language musical that a doe is a deer, a female deer.)

I have started watching this (why are musicals so LONG?) switching back and forth in 20 minute chunks between the Hebrew and the German. I had external Hebrew subtitles playing even though I can not read them in the slightest. I had to shut off the German subtitles because it made me understand too much, and also because I found myself following the German text rather than just watching the movie. I am managing to understand some of what is going on. I never saw the Mara Wilson 1996 version, so I really AM going into this with no preparation.

In both languages, I find the songs working very well as SONGS!
Stefan Duke

Post by Stefan Duke »   1 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Audio tracks
ar cs da de el en es fi fr he hi hr hu id it ja ko ms nb nl pl pt ro sv th tr uk

Subtitles
ar cs da de el en es fi fr he hr hu id it ja ko ms nb nl pl pt ro ru sv th tr uk zh
Holy crap! 21.8Gb particularly from ulozto is a bit much for me, but I am tempted. (That one is probably 4Gb or less for the video and all the rest for the audio.) I could switch to a different language every 4.5 minutes, OR watch the movie 27 times!

This is one time when Netflix impresses me, mustering the resources necessary to do all that dubbing and subbing! Every movie should be like that!

Thank you, Stefan Duke!