[REL] Riddle of Fire (2023)

Post by Devil❧ »   3 likes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7575046/?ref_=kw_li_tt
Plot & Review
https://www.anothermag.com/design-livin ... on-razooli
[Image]
[Image]
Review from IMDB User
No one makes kids movies like this anymore. The only kid's movies you see made nowadays are animated. This movie just makes you leave the theater with a smile on your face. Beautiful on the big screen especially the night scenes, even more impressive knowing this is probably not a big budget film. Can't wait to see it in the US theaters. Gorgeous cinematography using authentic 16 mm film.

This takes you back in time with its nostalgic feel. This film is on the lines of Stand by me and Goonies.

The dance scene is memorable playing the favorite "Baby Come Back".

You can't go wrong when you Colby any kids movie with dirt bikes, paintball guns, and a classic bad guy in big John Redeye.
pillowbaker

Re: Riddle of Fire (2023) [USA]

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Oh this looks promising! Thanks for bringing this here, Devil❧

Stand By Me and Goonies, and a report that this one harkens back to an earlier style of filming children's movies. Some pretty tall claims nowadays. For now, it has my attention.
Nasuada

Re: [REQ] Riddle of Fire (2023)

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Can we put that post to Request?

[MODERATOR EDIT: Moved thread to REQUESTS, as requested.]

Here are a bit more stuff:
Interview with the Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKbRaLKFvY

and Trailer / Teaser:

Another Plot:
Three mischievous children on dirt bikes, armed with paint guns and cocky attitudes, launch an attack at a local warehouse, outwitting a security guard and “liberating” the very latest video game console for themselves in the process. But when they get home to play, they encounter one big problem: Mom’s set an airtight password on the TV. Thus begins an epic quest to discover the password, with the kids finding themselves on an odyssey more exciting than anything they could have found onscreen.

Harkening back to classic ‘80s adventure films like THE GOONIES, where the kids faced real peril and a little cursing was no big deal, RIDDLE OF FIRE is a feel-good ride that clearly owes a lot to its influences but manages to feel fresh at the same time. This is due to the strong choices of writer-director Weston Razooli, who has created an immersive, singular world with no detail gone unchecked, from the stylish title cards to the dreamy set design to the perfectly retro synth soundtrack.

RIDDLE OF FIRE isn’t really a kids movie — even though it’s a movie kids could watch — but it is perfectly targeted at an audience that grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons and riding bikes unsupervised until nightfall, and who might be a little nostalgic for some real-life RPG magic. (LISA DREYER)
Source: https://2023.fantasticfest.com/films/64 ... 00504ec6ca
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   36 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:16 amBut when they get home to play, they encounter one big problem: Mom’s set an airtight password on the TV. Thus begins an epic quest to discover the password, with the kids finding themselves on an odyssey more exciting than anything they could have found onscreen.

Harkening back to classic ‘80s adventure films ...
I have a question for the gray-haired old goats who can remember the late 20th century:

WHEN was it that TVs could first be "locked" with a password? Does that actually date back to the 1980s? I may have just had a technologically unsophisticated TV with no programmable options like Age Restrictions. I had a Commodore 64 for a computer... I think the TV I bought in 1998 had Age Restriction capability, but I don't have it anymore to check. Was it the 1990s for that, or was I just catching up on old tech?

And how about THIS movie, for those who watched it? 1990s setting in a 1980s style?
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Riddle of Fire (2023)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I just watched it and I loved this little weird movie. It was fun!

But Night457: Where did you read that this movie is playing in the 80ties or 90ties? They even got smartphones in that film.
I was filmed in 16mm with a lot of film grain, so it looks a bit nostalgic. But the TV doesn't. ;)

[Image]

And no: You couldn't lock these old devices with a password. At least I never saw one.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Here we go: :icon_1dancingban

YESSSS! Right on! I was excited for this one. Thanks for the new treat, ghost!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:43 am But Night457: Where did you read that this movie is playing in the 80ties or 90ties?
I only read what was in this thread because I did not want to risk SPOILING it with too much information. There are multiple mentions of 80s movie style, 80s nostalgia, 80s type freedom for children from helicopter parents because they can actually go outside to play with paint guns and dirt bikes ... so I was wondering when it takes place and how 80s it could actually be: possibly set IN the 80s??? Well, paint guns were not so big then, and with TV password and obsessive newest video game system acquisition I thought the EARLIEST would be the 90s. But no, you seem to be saying it is set now. OK. I can accept a fantasy film where the kids of today get to live in a world where they have FUN. I am looking forward to this one, thank you!
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

OMG...

Watched this movie Saturday night... :shock:

While I really DID enjoy it, I was a bit flummoxed on how to categorize it. It is most DEFINITELY NOT a family movie. The cursing was WAAY over the top, too much so for a 'family' film. Shit [the ONE curse word I don't think ANYONE used in the film :shock: ]; Alice even dropped the 'F'-bomb among her numerous 'g*ddamn's' and 'that woodsy bastard' [her freakin' FAVORITE phrase!! :eyecrazy ] that she repeated over and over [and over and over and over]... Yet the plot and story line are too juvenile to make it an adult thriller.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY liked the movie, and I see where they were going for the 'Goonies' type vibe; but the cursing [imo] was a gunshot to the foot for this movie as far as making it 'family' accessible. My favorite character was Petal Hollyhock, played by Lorelei Olivia Mote. She was cute as a button and chewed up the scenery in about every scene she was in.

[Image]
Spoiler:

My favorite scene was when the boys see her in the tree and she introduces herself as a 'Fire Farye'. Her line delivery is hilariously Shakespearean.. :lol:
(I don't think my 'spoiler' is really all that much of a real spoiler; I just did that to appease any purists that want to know as little as possible going into any film..) :roll:

Cute movie; well worth a watch. The kids are alright! ;)

kev.
guava98

Post by guava98 »   1 likes

[Image]

Alice is my hero. I'm going to marry her in a bathtub like Hazel did. :)
Spoiler:

When they finished their Quest for the Speckled Egg and the Cannibal Holocaust Theme kicked in I started getting all teary-eyed. Wait... that's... I can't believe they did that! That's so appropriately inappropriate! As you're baking a blueberry pie!

I never lived through the 80s and I always hated D&D but this hits all the right notes. Whoever made this has been plagiarizing my dreams.