[REL] Mother (2010 TV drama)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Mother (2010 TV drama)

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:26 am You wanted to discover how I was wrong, that's just weird! ... And a neverending source of discovery, these days ... Problem is, I HAVE been drinking extra coffee and it ain't working. I am waiting for the proper meds to kick in. With either a headache or lots of coffee, that KEEPS me from sleeping it off! The two together is even worse, so posting on FLM makes for a good distraction. So much for that "extra hour" of sleep tonight!
:lol: :lol: ;)

I was just gonna say, "I hope you get to enjoy and utilize that extra hour of sleep tonight"! Hope it still comes in handy either way!

But right after I suggested extra coffee? What am I thinking. Honestly, even small amounts of coffee by the afternoon will keep me awake too late. So I TRY to reserve coffee for only my days off.

But I honestly wasn't trying to see where you were wrong. Your write-up intrigued me enough about the movie that I tried searching for it on google using abbreviated versions of your synopsis (no immediate luck). Something about that plot device harmonizes with my intuition, even if it has been getting used (apparently a lot by the Japanese, then the Koreans, the Thai, and likely many more).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

DAMN these generic titles! There ought to be a law against it! "Mother", are you kidding me?

It turns out I HAVE seen this series and the 2018 Korean series before, and most of the details I was remembering are from those, not "Miss Baek" or anything else. Finally found them on my harddrives, after much wasted time searching through .mp3 titles with "mother******" in them.

Oh ... this series is fantastic! Just watching portions, I was transfixed.

aliceclub's 1080p files look terrifc viewing them on my Blu-ray player. The problem is, they are x265, and my pitiful computer has problems playing back that codec. AND the .ass subtitles at opensubtitles that I found are partially but it seems not entirely in sync with these files. Which means that resyncing them will be difficult-to-impossible for me, because I have to review the video repeatedly.

If someone wants to volunteer to get the subtitles in sync for all 11 episodes beginning-to-end, great. Otherwise it will take me some time, probably some hours rather than my usual a few minutes. [NEXT DAY EDIT: I decided I don't need help, although it will take time. The waveform is what I need to follow, not so much the video. I have the first episode complete and it looks like the other episodes will be easier.]

Thanks again aliceclub!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

If no one has their heart set on volunteering, I am happy to to give it a try. I have been trying to focus on endurro's Polish subs, so I may not be able to focus on it all the way, but I am sure I can figure it out. It'll be a nice distraction (as if I haven't had enough of those already!)

So, thanks for the recommendation for this series, Night.

Curious, to convert an x265 file to x264, it would require a certain amount of re-encoding, right? I have never encoded anything besides mp3 and FLAC files before. Would it require a considerable amount of processing?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:50 am If no one has their heart set on volunteering, I am happy to to give it a try.
I have STARTED it. I ripped the Chinese subtitles from the MKV, assuming they are properly in sync. (I hope. That is hard to verify for ME on the TV, reading Chinese while listening to Japanese. ) I machine-translated them to English in SubtitleEdit. Then I went to do a "Point sync via another subtitle..."

Of course the machine-translation from Chinese only makes an approximation to the English as it appears in the fansubs, but there are parts where I can see what lines are equivalent. I repeatedly matched up and documented lines at the end and the beginning. I found at the beginning they were MOSTLY roughly the same, and very divergent at the end. Roughly midway I found the spot where suddenly they were a whole 20 seconds divergent. Clearly, the other video version that the fansubs were made from was missing 20 seconds of footage there. I chose multi-points to sync and generated a newly synced subtitle file. [EDIT, LATER THAT DAY: Using the waveform view turned out to be more helpful, and not any more tedious. The waveform has the correct audio timing even when the computer is so ancient that it does not play x265 video and audio in sync.]

The only way for me to CHECK it is to sit down and WATCH it on my blu-ray player. I have not done that yet because once again I have killed a few hours on the computer and at FLM.

HOWEVER, when I was checking out the video last night, I was transfixed by a scene in Episode 3*, and the subtitles were PERFECTLY in sync. It MAY only be that first extra-long episode that has an alternate cut that messed up the subtitles. The others may already be perfectly in sync. Or some will be in sync and some not. So what I need to do is binge-watch the entire series on the TV, stopping only to go back to the computer if and when I discover subtitles not in sync. Hopefully most of them are correct.

The advantage of ME doing the subtitle resync is that I have seen the story at least twice (including the Korean remake, that is), so reading the subtitles and seeing parts of video will not make any SPOILERS for me. (The other versions I watched had hardcoded subtitles, BTW.) I appreciate your volunteering, pillowbaker, but if I can manage it then I don't want you to spoil any of it for yourself!
Curious, to convert an x265 file to x264, it would require a certain amount of re-encoding, right? I have never encoded anything besides mp3 and FLAC files before. Would it require a considerable amount of processing?
It is easy enough to set up in any number of video-recoding programs. I generally use Avidemux or XMediaRecode. On my older, slower computer, it would take a few hours or MORE for each file. On newer faster computers it will go much faster.

This is something that should be done ONLY if someone has problems playing back x265 files! If playing them back is not a problem, then absolutely leave them as is and do not lower the quality, even slightly, by converting them. I really would not want to convert them just to make subtitle-sync easier, since that would take me a few days processing time.

* The Episode 3 scene: the kidnapper woman was speaking a long monologue about her rough childhood to a much older woman, who sat quietly and listened. I was transfixed by the expressions going across the face of the silent older woman. That was some astonishing acting. Having seen the story and learned the "secrets", I knew what her character was thinking. This scene may well have been inspired by Ingmar Bergman's "Persona". During that movie, one character is constantly talking and the other NEVER speaks. The fascination for the viewer is mostly in watching the silent woman listening.

The following scene in "Mother" where the older woman is alone and has a delayed, highly emotional sobbing reaction almost ruins it. Aaack, I don't need to see noisy dramatic crying. Slightly moist eyes while staying quiet is just perfect.
aliceclub

Post by aliceclub »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:52 am DAMN these generic titles! There ought to be a law against it! "Mother", are you kidding me?

It turns out I HAVE seen this series and the 2018 Korean series before, and most of the details I was remembering are from those, not "Miss Baek" or anything else. Finally found them on my harddrives, after much wasted time searching through .mp3 titles with "mother******" in them.

Oh ... this series is fantastic! Just watching portions, I was transfixed.

aliceclub's 1080p files look terrifc viewing them on my Blu-ray player. The problem is, they are x265, and my pitiful computer has problems playing back that codec. AND the .ass subtitles at opensubtitles that I found are partially but it seems not entirely in sync with these files. Which means that resyncing them will be difficult-to-impossible for me, because I have to review the video repeatedly.

If someone wants to volunteer to get the subtitles in sync for all 11 episodes beginning-to-end, great. Otherwise it will take me some time, probably some hours rather than my usual a few minutes. [NEXT DAY EDIT: I decided I don't need help, although it will take time. The waveform is what I need to follow, not so much the video. I have the first episode complete and it looks like the other episodes will be easier.]

Thanks again aliceclub!
https://zimuku.org/subs/40834.html?_gl= ... MS4wLjAuMA..

chs sub
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aliceclub on Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you for sharing the external Chinese subtitles, aliceclub!

UPDATE on English subtitles: I have 7 out of 11 episodes with the subtitles synced, and verified. I should have them all finished and posted by the end of the week.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:55 pm UPDATE on English subtitles: I have 7 out of 11 episodes with the subtitles synced, and verified. I should have them all finished and posted by the end of the week.
Thanks Night! I am very excited for this one, considering your recommendation and willingness to to work on the subs.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Sometime a few years ago, someone in some FLM thread recommended this drama. THANK YOU to whoever that was! I could not remember the NAME of this series, but once I started rewatching it this past week I realized what it was and how much I loved it. Getting through the last 2 episodes was rough, even just while resyncing the subtitles. For some reason my vision kept getting blurry. :icon_frown2 (Yes, just by reading the dialog. :oops: )

The subtitles at opensubtitles were made from an original TV broadcast, so they were complete with Previews for the next episode. This new 1080p version omits the Previews, so I cut out those last half-dozen subtitle lines. Other than that, I did not edit the text or the line spacing AT ALL. I only manually resynced them to fit with the 1080p version. These subtitles include a few explanatory translator notes in each episode. In ASS format playback, most of those notes appear at the TOP of the video.

English .ASS subtitles for all episodes:
Mother.E01-E11.2010.1080p.WEB-DL.x265.10bit.AC3-BitsTV.EN.ASS.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

THANK YOU NIGHT!!

Seriously, thanks for taking all that time resyncing the subs to the higher quality files. Especially considering the issues that x265 files gives you. I am very much looking forward to this series due to your recommendation.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

Here is one more resource for downloading the episodes, the slow and steady and reliable Ulozto.

One page with all 11 episodes: https://ulozto.net/shared/batch/D4Rmr8J4eS63?sort=name

Or, 11 individual links:

Code: Select all

https://ulozto.net/file/hYphgimcbk6c/mother-e01-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJR4AwR2ZwV5ATSxZQAwZGEzA2R2MTZ2n2V1JSb4EJLjDzR2LD==
https://ulozto.net/file/viODAy5mCwQv/mother-e02-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJL0AmR2AQExAwuwAJD4Zmx0Z2WxMUMEq0AinIR0H3y6HzD1BD==
https://ulozto.net/file/uuZIU3ySC6zq/mother-e03-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJZ0MGR2A2R1AQp3MGH2LmV5LmHlMUS6AxZkH1yCnJW3nzVlAt==
https://ulozto.net/file/89li5q7vpc5R/mother-e04-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZGZmAwR2AmH4LGEuLGNmAJV1ZwIxASV1L3OzI0kHZzp5ozIxZt==
https://ulozto.net/file/jvOqMak9kEHD/mother-e05-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZGVmZmR2A2DkZzIzLwqwBTAwAmp3AxEVEJg1rzIYDzf4MGRjZN==
https://ulozto.net/file/Yo6tabMjwzON/mother-e06-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJVjLwR2A2Z5ZGV3MwExAwV3AwqwAR5CraqmqKIfrv5SYJMvZN==
https://ulozto.net/file/lln63ZfZEbSu/mother-e07-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJEvBQR2AwyuZwR1LwplAGNlZQOwL3IGLxI6YzqDGP5CEJZ3ZD==
https://ulozto.net/file/XUw65gfdK4u3/mother-e08-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZGNjAwR1AGywMJAxMJIvLJHlZQL3Z3H0F0j4JHIOLKSWBTEx
https://ulozto.net/file/oC7h5rDaa7ov/mother-e09-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZGuwBQR2AGWuZmSyZmpmL2ExZGAyAUMiA2ShIHIaZ0chKmt2AD==
https://ulozto.net/file/r0MFn7JDPjlV/mother-e10-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJH3LmR2AzD5ZQSuLwIvAzIuATH2A1MfnyOIA2ZhHKqSITWxMt==
https://ulozto.net/file/JazizMBE8DWb/mother-e11-2010-1080p-web-dl-x265-10bit-ac3-bitstv-mkv#!ZJWvLwR2ZmZlAmp3AQH3BQOyBGWuMTWKEQt1nxy+n0kDrJEyAD==
ZIP file with all 11 English .ass subtitles:
https://ulozto.net/file/kEJuuw8e4EwI/mo ... Z2HwEwLj==