Let's take a vote ...

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.

Should the Baltic republics get their own sub-forum in the List Of Countries?

Yes
38%
No
63%

Total votes: 8
Triela

Let's take a vote ...

Post by Triela »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:01 pm You are right that it is Soviet Union and not Russia, but here at FLM "Russia" takes the place of "Soviet Union" for classifying Soviet-era films. The terminology also matches what was used publicly in Cold War era politics and popular culture, and there are also some more disparaging terms used that I will not repeat -- but they grouped all the Soviet countries together under one umbrella term.

For films in the POST-Soviet era, I try to watch and make sure they are categorized correctly. This is of course limited by the information available.
a loooooooooot of words to say "we're not gonna make the effort" :| :cry: :cry:
A simple rebuttal: They are already labeled with their country names, we can just take all those [REL] and [REQ] which have a [Lithuania], [Latvia] or [Estonia] label.
Like you, I also understand the desire of different nationalities to retain their distinctiveness.
This is SUCH an understatement, it's almost kind of insulting (I'm sure you didn't mean it like that) and SO not the point. I'm not even from the Baltics not even from the former Soviet Union, not even Slavic. But I wouldn't wanna be associated with them in any way. Lumping them together with once colonizers and their sworn enemy, seems .... cruel indifference. It's almost like telling a rape victim who changed her name "no you still have your father-rapists name" It's like telling them: you didn't exist, you don't exist. I mean, surely not the Irish, but even Canadians don't wanna hear they're some sort of quasi-English, or semi-Americans respectively... ;) ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Let's take a vote ...

Post by Night457 »   3 likes

Triela wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm a loooooooooot of words to say "we're not gonna make the effort"
I am capable of being blunt, if you do not want the courtesy of an explanation.

You seem to have insufficient appreciation for the huge amount of unpaid volunteer work that already goes into this free FILM site.

It seemed reasonable for me to put [Lithuania] in the "Paskutine" thread name, so I did so.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   4 likes

Not much to add. Night457 already replied, what I also would have said.

The answer is simply NO. We won't create another sub forum for baltic states. Can you imagine how much work that would mean? To search for every single movie which had been posted during the last 19 years and move them? We can add the "correct country" in the title, that's sufficient to my opinion.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

Triela wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm Lumping them together with once colonizers and their sworn enemy, seems .... cruel indifference. It's almost like telling a rape victim who changed her name "no you still have your father-rapists name" It's like telling them: you didn't exist, you don't exist.
That's IMO a huge exaggeration and creating a problem from non-problem. I doubt anybody in the Baltics with common sense would actually feel offended when Soviet movies are lumped together with Russian movies. Moreover, mixing Soviet and post-Soviet Baltic movies in a single forum does not feel totally right either.

And the Baltic countries are different enough so the only reason for creating a joint forum for them could be that individually they don't have enough movies to justify an own forum. We don't have a joint forum for Holland-Belgium that are more similar to each other than the Baltic states. Nor do we have a joint forum for former Yugoslavia.
Triela

Post by Triela »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:08 pm.

You seem to have insufficient appreciation for the huge amount of unpaid volunteer work that already goes into this free FILM site.
OkAY, fair enough.