Favorite scream tween/teen?

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
marvingray

Favorite scream tween/teen?

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

Anyone that watches a lot of horror knows that kid leads are very common, and seem even more common in recent years. I can think of quite a few off the top of my head, but I'll just share my recent favorite:

[Image]

I loved Talitha Bateman in Annabelle Creation! TBH I am very mixed on the Conjuring/Annabelle/The Nun as films, but 1. they do have their share of cute girl main characters which is a + 2. Annabelle Creation itself is far better than it has any right to be. It has quite a few memorable set piece horror scenes that are just masterfully executed(the stair case lift scene, in particular.)

Talitha's Janice has a lot of chemistry with the other main character Linda played by Lulu Wilson (who has now been the lead in multiple horror films herself.)

I found Talitha's performance very expressive/emotive (if maybe a bit constipated looking at times) and her character easy to sympathize with, and where the story ultimately goes makes for an excellent feel-bad horror type ending without being gratuitous about it.

I am pretty surprised that Talitha would've been 15 during filming, she seriously looks like she could be anywhere from 10-12 believably.

I could share more as I have quite a few favorites, but I don't want to hog them. Hopefully this thread isn't breaking any rules, I think the topic is more broad than the Annabelle Creation thread would allow.

Here is the Annabelle Creation thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11951&hilit=annabelle I highly recommend the film if you enjoy horror, even if you, like me, were lukewarm on the first movie.

[Image]
(Talitha in Nine Lives, which I hear is a horror movie in its own right in terms of quality)

Cute interview with Talitha and Lulu on Annabelle Creation:
Last edited by marvingray on Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Favorite scream tween/teen?

Post by ghost »   1 likes

According to IMDB she really was born in 2001. :shock: She looks much younger in her movies.

I liked her in So B. It
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:27 am I liked her in So B. It
Oh, I will def check that out. I was wondering if she had any major parts in movies that aren't Nine Lives(which I don't think I can bring myself to watch even if I like both her and Malina Weissman)
Kolovian

Post by Kolovian »   1 likes

Kathryn Love Newton, Paranormal Activity 4 (2012).
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

Kennedi Clements, Poltergeist.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Love your thread idea, marvingray! Thank you for introducing me to Annabelle Creation with Talitha.

I tend to get magnetically involved with scary/horror movies, so much that I can get startled pretty easily. It isn't so bad that I would avoid them or not enjoy them, but do I ever get wrapped up in them! I am the most jumpy person to be near when watching a horror movie. Even the trailers that play in the movie theaters can make me jump.

But I'll give it a go. I haven't watched any of the Annabelle or Conjuring movies yet, so I'll straight into your recommendation. I heard Evil Dead Rise was pretty good as well!
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:37 am Love your thread idea, marvingray!
Have you seen this one? Another great is a Lena Leandersson as Eli in "let the Right One In"

[Image]
"I'm twelve, but I've been twelve for a long time."

Random fact I found out from reading this movie: Apparently Eli was dubbed over by a voice actor with a deeper voice, as they director felt her voice was too high pitched for the character.

Still, her big expressive eyes I would argue do a lot of the acting.

One of my favorite movies ever, easily, and a nice mix of a childhood romance mixed with moments of very visceral horror, although I'd not personally call it "scary", I don't think that's even what it is going for.

[Image]
Kolovian wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:17 pm Kathryn Love Newton, Paranormal Activity 4 (2012).
I won't lie, I was checked out of that series, but she kinda pulled me back in to watch this one.

------

Edit: This is somewhat relevant to this thread. The first 10 minutes of Darkness Falls. It works so well as an isolated short featuring a young romance and horror(just don't watch the full movie as it is a very generic creature feature (with an admittedly cool creature design by Stan Winston) ) ft. a young, very lovely Emily Browning

https://youtu.be/ZaLwsu9rHZU

I'm not sure how to link this as a thumbnail player, sorry. Edit TY Mod!

MOD EDIT:

------
I will just update this post so I don't have to double post ---

Here lately I have been completely into Lulu Wilson!

Regular collaborator with horror tv and film director Mike Flanagan.

[Image]

[Image]

Her major horror credits include: Ouija: Origin of Evil - 2016 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10896&hilit=origin+of+evil , the previously mentioned Annabelle Creation - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11951&hilit=annabelle, and Becky - 2020 - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14039&hilit=becky and various Mike Flanagan tv series (Haunting of Hill House and Fall of the House of Usher)

Hopefully one day soon we will reach a point where we AI clone the child version of these actors and put them in movies forever. (Slightly joking!)