[REL] Grenouilles (1983) short [France]

Movies that don't quite meet the requirements to be on-topic for FLM, maybe because the actors are too old or screen time is too small.
pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Grenouilles (1983) short [France]

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Well, I must hand it to you for sitting through the whole thing. Not that I doubt it is any good or not, but this one just doesn't fit my general mood. Seems even the original subtitler wasn't really into it. I skimmed it a bit, looking for some frog costumes.

Thanks for the external subs, though.

Anyone wanting frog costumes, there's "Hell Comes to Frogtown" (1988).
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Grenouilles (1983) short [France]

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

It is the mutant frogmen in HCtF that likely gave me the wrong expectations for this one!

The subtitles are pretty good once they are fully visible. Indeed there are parts where background noise makes the dialog unhearable, so there was no point in lip reading to create a subtitle line. The audience was probably not meant to decipher it.
Triela

Re: [REQ] Grenouilles (1983)

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 pm
Triela wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm (it would be interesting indeed to have a 12 year old play an 18 year old... or something... whatevs... ) ....
Isabelle Fuhrman - 33yr - The Orphan
proves my point
Kirsten Dunst - Older - Interview with the Vampire
is the fantasy exception, plus, she wás too her age when the story begins
Dakota Fanning -Older - New moon
proves my point, she's NINE years old in the books.
The remake of "True Grit (2010)" did too get it right, and the remake of...oh boy!... "Lolita (1997), as in: thé quintessential Lolitesque movie ... almóst did.

Hailee Steinfeld was indeed younger than her 14 year old character: 13 years, 2 months and 18 days old when filming began and 13 years,3 months and 20 days old when filming ended. I think she might be the only one in 50-60 years (perhaps in all of movie history?) in a big budget mainstream Hollywood movie to do that. In the original, Mattie was played by a 21 year old.

Dominique Swain was 15 years, 24 days old when filming began and 15 years, 5 months and 27 days old when filming ended. On average 15 years, 3 months and 8 days old during filming. But still OLDER, and worse, she LOOKED it, imho she looked like a 17 year old, even my GF, her friends at the time said so.
I read an article about it, saying there was some type of chaperone present during ALL Swains scenes, which is kind of a buzzkill if you know that while watching it. OTOH, the article mentioned a indie lesbian coming-of-age movie, which had its principal photography around that time, which had risque scenes, but no chaperoning whatsoever....
So ...
EDIT:
I just learned, that Sue Lyons, the original Lolita, was indeed 14 when she filmed it: average age of 14 yr 6 mo's
Triela

Re: [REQ] Grenouilles (1983)

Post by Triela »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:35 pm
Sully23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 pm
Triela wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm (it would be interesting indeed to have a 12 year old play an 18 year old... or something... whatevs... ) ....
Isabelle Fuhrman - 33yr - The Orphan
Kirsten Dunst - Older - Interview with the Vampire
Dakota Fanning -Older - New moon

Did anyone catch Millie Bobby Brown in the BBC America show Intruders (2014), two years before her role in Stranger Things? She played a little girl possessed by the soul of an immortal serial killer. I loved the scene where she called the ticket agent at the train station an asshole and threatened his life. Her whole performance was pretty convincing. You could believe it was an old man speaking and not a kid.
Funny you should say that, because I wasn't convinced at all. In sports terms, she shoots, and she didn't score ... the ball hits the cross bar, then flies over.
I usually am impressed with the acting abilities of Hollywood child actors (because ... selection, duh!!) But here, I was thinking the whole time: No. Not convincing in the anger, and the meanness. She clearly knew what was required of her, and she tried to BE angry, but imho, she wasn't really angry.

Don't feel bad, cos i'm weird like that: Everyone hates "The Blairwitch Project" & makes fun of it, but I was so mesmerized by it, soooo into the movie, I screamed when the lights came on in the theater, for a couple of seconds I forgot it was a movie.

I guess most people are on your side in this case. But still now, she's quite a good actress. It wasn't an easy, role and indeed, she failed at it. Culkin, Fuhrman, Zelda Harris ("Crooklyn (1994)") Jurnee Smollet etc were excellent in their dramatic "angry roles". But she wasn't