Quickest way to bulk add to emule

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Quickest way to bulk add to emule

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

mimzy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:30 am You'd have to request reshare, because most of the links aren't shared anymore
This led me to a realization: kast1j, if you Request a Reshare of 1000+ movies all at once, I will personally hunt you down and slap you silly! :icon_gy Just kidding, but that is way too many reshare requests to try to fill! :shock:
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:24 am Similar to what mimzy is hinting at, if you opt to grab everything, you're potentially going to end up with a lot of dupes of older, lower quality encodes.
I really do not want to admit how long it took me to realize this after kast1j shared his interesting plan. Yes, it is definitely better to just get the newest and best version.
So many of the emule names don't correspond to a movie title, it's crazy! Trying to fill some of the requests sometimes takes me more time than I'd admit, just trying to find out which movie it is associated with and making sure I have that exact file.
A couple things I started doing to help ME with this:
1) Do not change the name of the file, I just put it in a folder with my preferred movie title and year.
2) ONLY give "Thanks" to a post with an ed2k link if I download it. That way, the Requested files list ONLY shows (ed2k) links next to the files that I HAVE downloaded.
3) If the actual movie in the list is unfamiliar, click the name and it goes right to the post it is from. The thread name gives the movie name.
4) Once the file is reshared & visible in eMule, click the ed2k link at FLM. Your eMule client will tell you if you have that EXACT file. If not, it will load the link into your client and attempt to download it.

AND because I am nuts and I fill up a 4Tb external hard drive every 10 months, I make a text "directory" of the files on a filled backup hard drive and append it to an ongoing list, with each hard drive separated by a line of asterisks. (******) I copy a file name from the Requested files list and CTRL+F search it in my directory text file. Once found, I search *** and it takes me to the end of the files from that drive, where I have the external drive identified. Thus I can quickly find one specific file from years of FLM downloads.

Now a clever person would have software that manages such a directory, or a wealthy person would have a massive RAID of ALL their files constantly shared.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:16 am
This led me to a realization: kast1j, if you Request a Reshare of 1000+ movies all at once, I will personally hunt you down and slap you silly! :icon_gy Just kidding, but that is way too many reshare requests to try to fill! :shock:
Not to mention, I believe this would push out all other recent requests and display only your own requests. Phew! Isn't there a max amount of Requested files that will display? Right now it is at 178.

Night wrote: I really do not want to admit how long it took me to realize this after kast1j shared his interesting plan. Yes, it is definitely better to just get the newest and best version.
Especially if you're like us, and you've become resigned to having multiple encodes of the same movie. If you're ok with this, it may not bother you like it does me. Even with extra hard drive space, I find having too many of one file to feel disorganized. I've recently been getting better at this. In fact, I made a txt file list of every dupe that I could find with a brief note if needed. I then considered certain criteria, and began referring to the list to delete excess files. I was thinking, I'll just delete ONE FILE a day, and it'll be slimmed down in no time. That ended up being one or maybe two per week. It's gotten better though! I allow myself extra wiggle room for special cases, like Gritta or Le Grand Chemin, which are toughies.

A couple things I started doing to help ME with this:
1) Do not change the name of the file, I just put it in a folder with my preferred movie title and year.
2) ONLY give "Thanks" to a post with an ed2k link if I download it. That way, the Requested files list ONLY shows (ed2k) links next to the files that I HAVE downloaded.
3) If the actual movie in the list is unfamiliar, click the name and it goes right to the post it is from. The thread name gives the movie name.
4) Once the file is reshared & visible in eMule, click the ed2k link at FLM. Your eMule client will tell you if you have that EXACT file. If not, it will load the link into your client and attempt to download it.

AND because I am nuts and I fill up a 4Tb external hard drive every 10 months, I make a text "directory" of the files on a filled backup hard drive and append it to an ongoing list, with each hard drive separated by a line of asterisks. (******) I copy a file name from the Requested files list and CTRL+F search it in my directory text file. Once found, I search *** and it takes me to the end of the files from that drive, where I have the external drive identified. Thus I can quickly find one specific file from years of FLM downloads.

Now a clever person would have software that manages such a directory, or a wealthy person would have a massive RAID of ALL their files constantly shared.

Thanks for the assist in this area. These are great ideas. I am already doing some of them.

2) I have long since learned to do the same, and only like edk posts once I've intended to download the file. However, I still try to like non-edk posts when the post is helpful or kind.
3) Yeah, looking at the thread title or clicking the name is easy enough. Sometimes, just looking at the page, even with the best intentions, just makes my eye glaze over. But when I share over emule, I share long and hard. I got 700+ files available right now.
1) I just cannot. I must make my downloaded files follow a naming scheme, though putting them in individual folders seems a good workaround. How often do you find yourself hitting ctrl+shift+N and moving files?

For your text directory of your hard drives, do you use a file lister or the command prompt to auto-list it? (hope you're not doing it by hand, one at a time) I've made these hard drive directory lists in the past, they indeed came in handy!

Yeah, I was looking into RAIDs, and I am always surprised by how expensive they are. It would be very convenient to have everything all together and readily available though. I am considering this for the future.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, kast1j.
kast1j

Post by kast1j »   1 likes

No worries Pillowbaker, it's always good to get insight into things, even if they're not my immediate interest, you never know when it might prove useful.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:52 am Isn't there a max amount of Requested files that will display?
I don't know, but there is a maximum time and we Adminimods can delete entries. I would not care to individually click a thousand entries, so I would set Mr. Admin to running a script. He can do that much more easily! But I don't see that realistically happening in the first place.
Especially if you're like us, and you've become resigned to having multiple encodes of the same movie.
But those are often curated over time, with gradually improvement of files. If I see a thread for the first time, I don't go back and download the DX50 AVIs if there are now 720p and 1080p versions! Or, they are accumulated during a search for what is available when it is first posted -- and we just don't get around to weeding out and deciding what is best. You do much better than I do apparently!
However, I still try to like non-edk posts when the post is helpful or kind.
ABSOLUTELY! There it is obviously a real thanks and not just a way to get the file.
Sometimes, just looking at the page, even with the best intentions, just makes my eye glaze over.
Me too, especially when I have posted in the thread. :oops: :icon_sleep1
I must make my downloaded files follow a naming scheme, though putting them in individual folders seems a good workaround.
Alternately, you can also put the original name appended to the folder name if you want clean filenames. A jezevex code-named release would have a folder name like

Code: Select all

Månen är en grön ost (1977) MÄEGO_77.mkv
A Windows search would find either option.

If I have multiple video versions of the same movie on the same drive, I have them named differently in the same master folder. (Such as when I find multiple sources for a newly posted movie, and don't weed out the undesired ones.) And I have folders nested within folders. 1080p version, 720p version, German dub version, English Hardcoded Subtitle version, DVD ISO, etc...
How often do you find yourself hitting ctrl+shift+N and moving files?
Wow I love keyboard shortcuts but I don't love Windows 11 new explorer windows so much, I prefer a new tab. But I move files when I transfer to external drives or watch something and move it to the Watched folder.
For your text directory of your hard drives, do you use a file lister or the command prompt to auto-list it? (hope you're not doing it by hand, one at a time)
I type them out one at a time, character by character as I download them, scrolling daily alphabetically through the master list. Of course!

:mrgreen: Just kidding. I use

Code: Select all

Tree > Tree.rtf /F
in Command Line in the root directory of what I want to list and export to a text file. So if I have a Windows Backup AND a folder of Videos backed up on the same external drive, I had darn well better do the Tree listing just on the Video folder or else my list of files will be thousands of pages long!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:52 am
Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:16 am
Not to mention, I believe this would push out all other recent requests and display only your own requests. Phew! Isn't there a max amount of Requested files that will display? Right now it is at 178.
There is a limit of something like 20 requested files per user. If more are requested, only your own oldest requests are pushed out. Now, I hope I did not give an idea to someone to create hundreds of users :shock:
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:24 am So many of the emule names don't correspond to a movie title, it's crazy! Trying to fill some of the requests sometimes takes me more time than I'd admit, just trying to find out which movie it is associated with and making sure I have that exact file.
It would be useful to keep an index of file hashes (ed2k hash -> file path) in some form (text file, excel, database, directory structure with links, etc.), so you can find a file quickly by hash. You can also search FLM by hash to find where the link was posted.
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:52 am Yeah, I was looking into RAIDs, and I am always surprised by how expensive they are. It would be very convenient to have everything all together and readily available though. I am considering this for the future.
Sharing too much is actually counter-productive. eMule is not intelligent enough to handle very large shares optimally itself, so your clients would be sitting at queue position like 596 and never getting anything. The whole idea of the file requests was that people only share files that are needed and not files that have enough sources anyway.

Another drawback of a large RAID is that the disks are constantly spinning. With growing energy prices and the aging of disks there can be considerable running costs as well.
Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:16 am I really do not want to admit how long it took me to realize this after kast1j shared his interesting plan. Yes, it is definitely better to just get the newest and best version.
Not only it is difficult to find the best version, also infos are often split in multiple posts with off-topic discussion in between. That's the nature of a forum.

There have been thoughts of creating a kind of (wiki-style) database with one entry per movie including the best encode of each quality level. Maybe someone else wants to take it up, but at the end this idea is probably utopic.
Night457
Global Moderator

mimzy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm There is a limit of something like 20 requested files per user.
Good :idea:
I hope I did not give an idea to someone to create hundreds of users
:eusa_shhh :icon_badidea

It would be useful to keep an index of file hashes (ed2k hash -> file path) in some form (text file, excel, database, directory structure with links, etc.), so you can find a file quickly by hash.
I had not thought of that! But it is too late for me to do that now (except for new downloads) without months of work associating ed2k links with all the files I have on hard drive. Running a tree command on an old drive with thousands of files only takes a minute, and another minute to append a few such text directories together ... so that is what I did when I realized I needed to keep track of multiple drives.
Sharing too much is actually counter-productive. eMule is not intelligent enough to handle very large shares optimally itself, so your clients would be sitting at queue position like 596 and never getting anything.
Having many files available to share does not necessarily mean that many ARE actively being shared. Right now I have 15 files and 17 recipients active of 1069 files available, and they are all going at the same speeds I see with only a few people. Having many files available simply means not having to constantly transfer and reshare files in response to requests. With my old computer and its smaller drive, I would have to transfer off and switch over new file requests every 10-14 days because the drive got filled up ... and immediately someone else would request a file I just took off, and was not even getting action anyway. Eventually I kept certain popularly requested files constantly shared whether they actually got downloaded or not, and OTHER movies I decided to NEVER share again because "that movie is disgusting trash and I am offended that I watched it half a dozen times!" :oops:

[NOTE: Of those 1069 files available, 607 are subtitle files which take no space and download quickly. I HATE having to search the hard drive source of a subtitle file and hook it up and transfer it over, 5 minutes spent on a 15 second download. So I now keep ALL subtitles constantly shared once they are on the laptop drive.]

Another drawback of a large RAID is that the disks are constantly spinning.
Solid state instead? Or just keep recycling new magnetic drives to support the industry? :lol:
With growing energy prices and the aging of disks there can be considerable running costs as well.
I have solar panels, a windmill, a watermill, and a stationary bike that I use to generate power at least while I am actively online. No petroleum products burned, "free" energy after the initial investment, totally green!

(And if you believe I actually did all that ... 8-) )
also infos are often split in multiple posts with off-topic discussion in between.
:icon_poke

Hey! Hey! I know who you are talking about! :eusa_whistle
There have been thoughts of creating a kind of (wiki-style) database with one entry per movie including the best encode of each quality level. Maybe someone else wants to take it up, but at the end this idea is probably utopic.
I nominate someone who does not actually want to have any time to WATCH the movies. Preferably young with lots of energy!

But yeah, that could certainly be helpful. I notice many people request a reshare of the FIRST releases in a thread (from 2007-2008) rather than the LAST, which are better quality. I suspect that in most cases it is NOT a case of going for the smallest sized files but rather due to thread-reading exhaustion.