[REL] Nie bede cie kochac (1974)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Nie bede cie kochac (1974)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thanks for the warning, I will have to pay attention closely during back-and-forth dialog scenes. I am very grateful for the translation accomplished by you two, so that is what is important to me!

New technical thread dealing with fixing short subtitle lines:
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... 26#p110526
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

As for the remarks I made to the movie "Nie bede cie kochać", I didn't mean very short lines like "Anka". Such lines can easily be read in less than 1 sec.
I was more concerned with long lines that change quickly in succession and where there is not much way to improve the times.
In such cases, sometimes combining lines and sometimes breaking them helps.

As for correcting subtitles in general, that is, for any movie, I wrote more in the topic you set up.
viewtopic.php?p=110526#p110526
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:25 am English subtitles finally complete.

Many thanks to endurro, who created the first set of subtitles in Polish by hand, and who maintained correspondence with me over the last 4 months to assist me with translating and clarifying dialogue and cultural references. I am thankful for having been able to work on a "classic". I hope to do more projects.

Thank you pillowbaker - and endurro - for contributing what I couldn't. I look forward to watching this and actually understanding the dialogue! :D
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Thanks everyone!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

Thank you too!

Nerdy write-up:

Polish seems to me to be a language quite efficient with word number. Lots of meaning for few words. I had to toil to keep English sentences short in these areas, but sometimes it was not possible with my capabilities!

I learned, in Polish, younger children often endearingly refer to their parents in the third person, especially when speaking to them directly. endurro stated this happens less with older children. This made things awkward when I attempted to consider translation choices. Do I keep the "person" in English, since it occurs many times in the movie? After consideration, I don't think it's so awkward in English, but I only imagine it for very young children. I changed it to second person where it was suitable, but I left a few moments of third person where I thought it was better. Overall, I tried to be consistent.

Some of my favorite scenes:
Spoiler:

The dance scene near the beginning! These kids really knew how to have fun before class. Everone letting loose and doing a differet dance. The headbanging boy (or girl), the freakout by the girl after, I loved it! (yes, Agata's dance is more subdued).

When Anka sings for company at the dinner table.

Any wacky moment with the younger sister of the helper-boy. I love how randomly wacky or disturbing some of her lines and actions are.

When the girl group gossips about hippies and the downsides of married life.

Finding a proper lumberjack pun for Anka's father's dad joke! And figuring out to to carve it into the dialogue timecodes. This was so much fun, and it took me so much time to figure out. Let me know how you react to it. One other alternate that I considered is below.

Brief version:
Spoiler:

A Polish lumberjack walks into a shop to buy a chainsaw...
The shopkeeper picks one out and says "this one can cut down 5 trees in 10 minutes". The lumberjack is impressed by this and buys the chainsaw. 2 days later, the lumberjack comes back to the shop with the chainsaw and asks for a refund.

"This is a complete rip-off, I only managed to cut down 2 trees and it took me an hour!"

The shopkeeper takes the chainsaw and turns it on and the lumberjack suddenly jumps in surprise.

"What's that noise?"

Long version:
Spoiler:

A Polish man is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, “Look, I have a lot of models, but why don’t you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day.”
So the Polak takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. “How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?”, the man asks himself. “I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day”, he tells himself. So, the next morning he gets up at 4 in the morning and cuts, and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and he only manages to cut five cords.
The man is convinced this is a bad saw. “The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer.” The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the Polak’s claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, “Huh, it looks fine.” Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the Polak responds, “What’s that noise?”

If you've watched the movie, you'd notice this one would have been more difficult to chop up into the dialogue space. But I still love this one! :lol: :lol:
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:47 am Thank you too!

Nerdy write-up:
This was one of the first "First Love" movies I found and I just realized I didn't have an upgraded version because I think I initially got it off that russian site. Thanks for the subtitles, I'm def going to check it out because I was wanting to rewatch this movie again, anyway.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   52 likes

Since now we have subtitles for this movie, I made an upscale from the TV-Rip. I tried to remove the TV watermarks, but they are just to big and it would have looked awful without them.

The source video was of pretty bad quality, but the result doesn't look as bad as I expected.

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.66 Gb]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [69.2 Kb]

Again many many thanks for the subs!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thank YOU ghost for providing the upscale. I actually look forward to watching this again with your upgrade. Heh, I might skim around on it quite a bit, at least!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm Since now we have subtitles for this movie, I made an upscale from the TV-Rip. I tried to remove the TV watermarks, but they are just to big and it would have looked awful without them.

The source video was of pretty bad quality, but the result doesn't look as bad as I expected.

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Nie bede cie kochac (1973).TV.1080p.mkv

Nie bede cie kochac (1973).TV.1080p.en.srt

Again many many thanks for the subs!
There is a VirtualDub TV logo removal technique where it can remove the logo by first making a alpha channel watermark. I would have thought that would be useful for something with gaps in the logo like this type. But I never got good results. But given your expertise at halo removal and scripting thought you would have figured it out :)
I did find a good technique for rectangular text with gaps by making lots of rectangles. I think I used that on the doc "Children of Leningradsky" 90% of the time you can't see where it was - the only issue is when the cameras moving - then it becomes more obvious.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

Been watching this movie lately with subs. Quite the colorful cast of characters. The little psychotic redhead might be my favorite. The timid girl's reaction to her "chopping" the fish by the lake was pretty funny.