Bad Teacher T.V. Series (2014– ) [USA]

Movies still waiting to be released on DVD or elsewhere.
donkeykog

Bad Teacher T.V. Series (2014– ) [USA]

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

[Image]

Bad Teacher - Apr. 24 CBS
Centers on a sexy, foul-mouthed divorcée who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.
Looks to have plenty of cuties!

Bad Teacher - Behind the Scenes

REVIEW

Bad Teacher: Sitcom, 9:30 p.m. Thursday on CBS.

If there's one thing the new CBS sitcom "Bad Teacher" proves, it's that you can't keep a bad thing down.

The sitcom is based on the 2011 film starring Cameron Diaz (also one of the sitcom's producers) as a gold-digging teacher from hell.

The film followed the "bad" template set by "Bad Santa" and continued more recently by "Bad Grandpa," but wasn't as funny as it could have been. The sitcom is funnier than the film, perhaps because it's working in a smaller time frame but also because many of the performances are winning.

The setup is that a buxom "trophy wife" named Meredith Davis (Ari Graynor) learns after her divorce from her rich, cheating husband that she's not getting any of his money because of a prenup. Naturally, the news prompts her to get a job as a teacher in order to meet rich, single dads so she can continue the lifestyle to which she's become accustomed.

She's completely unqualified for the job, but is hired anyway after manipulatively sympathizing with Principal Carl Gaines (David Alan Grier) about his recent divorce.

She makes a splash on her first day both in the hallways and in the teachers' lounge, earning the immediate enmity of prim, by-the-book veteran history teacher Ginny (Kristin Davis), slavish admiration from frumpy biology teacher Irene (Sara Gilbert) and a reminder from gym teacher Joel (Ryan Hansen) that they went to high school together and that he may have been one of the few guys she didn't hook up with.

At every turn, Meredith's plan to land a hunky meal ticket is short-circuited by her inner warmth and concern for the underdog - particularly a friend's stepdaughter, Lily (Sara Rodier), too smart to be treated with respect by the school "mean girls."

Lily isn't alone. She is among several girls who would be targeted by the popular set even if they weren't members of the school safety patrol and forced to wear unflattering neon yellow safety vests.

The show has its funny moments, and the cast is pretty good, especially the younger actors. In addition to Rodier as a kind of flesh-and-blood Lisa Simpson, Grace Kaufman does a superb job as Bronwen, the daughter of a wealthy real estate mogul who wants to date Meredith but only if his daughter approves. She does not, to put it mildly.

Kristin Davis is quite good but underutilized here. Ginny knows Meredith is a phony, and that knowledge, not to mention the resentment she feels toward her, should provide more laughs than it does. There are a few moments that promise better interplay between the two characters in future episodes.

The show, created by Hilary Winston, is at its best when teacher really is "bad." At those moments, it approaches a wicked, and wickedly funny, level of satire. As you might expect, though, every episode ends with a warm and fuzzy moment - well, as warm and fuzzy as the "Bad Teacher" can be.

Bottom line: It's not as "bad" as the movie and that's pretty good, but if it was more bad, it could be better. Get it? Good.

David Wiegand is The San Francisco Chronicle's executive features editor and TV critic. E-mail: dwiegand@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @WaitWhat_TV
Last edited by donkeykog on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptguardian

Re: Bad Teacher T.V. Series (2014– ) [USA]

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

This aired earlier this week. I thought the girls were nice and may offer some promising moments in the future. But as the show goes and I am usually fairly forgiving since we all have different tastes around here, I have to say they tried too hard to be like the movie. Granted this is produced by Cameron Diaz so it is to be expected but trying to type cast every character gave the same effect as Zombieland did, a cheap knock off from the original. That being said if you never saw the movie you may like it more than I. There are a lot of known actors and it has potential, enough I will check out more episodes in hope it will that it will grow on me. Plus like I said the kids are nice. :D

Anyway tons of rips about. http://torrentz.eu/search?f=+Bad+Teacher+tv
donkeykog

I agree with PTG on this one. I am not as invested in this as Believe, but hope it grows on me. Lots of cuties and not bad.....but like "Believe" this should have been done on cable where there is less restriction and better writers.

So far only seen the two episodes. And recommend watching.
donkeykog

Cancelled. Writing a comedy series based on an R rated movie and putting it on a channel censored by the govt is always a great idea. Not.
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

I could have told them that. Still I hope they release s01 dvds of both Believe and Bad Teacher.