eMule Mods and Friend Slots

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
yoko

Re: eMule Mods and Friend Slots

Post by yoko »   1 likes

Maybe some mods are just picky about friends. I'm not sure how useful friends slots are anyway. Of course it downloads faster with a slot, but you'd have to give a slot to anybody, because all the bandwidth is allocated to friends and others get practically nothing.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Without a friend slot, after you have downloaded 1 chunk (some 9.28MB), you are disconnected and put back in the queue to wait for another turn. With a friend slot there is no waiting - you just keep downloading.

Friend slots are usually speed limited to limit the kind of misuse you are referring to. I don't think you need to worry about giving people friend slots because you have such a high upload speed available. While downloading from chaps like me who have a very small upload speed, you could end up waiting several hours to get your turn, and then be put back in the queue after just 9.28MB.
yoko

Post by yoko »   1 likes

emuler wrote:I don't think you need to worry about giving people friend slots because you have such a high upload speed available.
It is relative what you call a high upload speed...

With my usual cable connection, I can only reach 200 kB/s upload when I'm lucky (sometimes my eMule traffic is completely blocked).

Using VDSL, one can have a stable eMule upload 800 kB/s (tested). FTTH, now available in selected areas, might be even faster.

The best would be having a job at a backbone somewhere :mrgreen:
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

If you are using something that prevents a valid identification, then several things like friend slots, pay back first, even credits might not work as expected, or not at all. A lowID will make things even worse.

To improve your focus on sharing a particular file (applicable to all eMule users, but even more important for those with invalid identification) you can:

1. increase the upload priority for a particular file to 'release'. This works when other shared files have lower priority. Putting all your files to release priority does nothing. :roll: Putting one file to release priority and all other shared files to low or very low priority has the greatest effect.

2. temporarily unshare some files by moving them into another folder. You can move them back later.