[REL] Our Shining Days (2017) [China]

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

[REL] Our Shining Days (2017) [China]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   4 likes

Nasuada

Re: [REL] Flash Girl, Chinese and Western Duel (2017) [China]

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Some days ago I saw it again on YT and now on FLM. Sometimes the World is strange :-)
[Image]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] Our Shining Days (2017) [China]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   7 likes

[Image]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7013194
No RFF listing
IMDb wrote:A youth inspirational film, about how a group of high school students try to revive Chinese orchestra ensemble. They face many challenges along the way to compete nationally, including a rivalry with the more popular Western orchestra club.
VERIFIED

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.96 Gb]

This is a cute film with grins, cute kids... and uniforms for those that like that sort of thing. ;)
Spoiler:

General
Unique ID : 283176124156554338923102165588798960809 (0xD509BCDA39D2D5DCF9A56A6F0B6D74A9)
Complete name : D:\eMule\閃光少女 Our Shining Days 2017 1080P Chs.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 1.96 GiB
Duration : 1 h 42 min
Overall bit rate : 2 729 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf57.48.101
Writing library : Lavf57.48.101

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.417 FPS
Original frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -83 ms
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Our Shining Days (2017) [China]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Here's a YouTube video of two musicians critiquing the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM-R8Kc ... oSetViolin
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Cheesy good fun! I have to say I am skeptical that traditional Chinese instruments are treated with such disdain in China. The government can just mandate more respect, right? Having grown up in the Western musical tradition I am frankly bored with it and don't see why the Chinese would think it is so great. But I would not want it to go away, and there are plenty of people who DO care so that I do not have to.

The violinists critiquing the film was hilarious and great to watch AFTER the movie.

I have heard these Chinese instruments plenty on Chinese movie soundtracks but seldom seen them, so that was pretty thrilling. The girls were cute and charming, and yes I confess I do like those kinds of uniforms ...

Thanks Phuzzy!
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I liked the mashup song at the end which is the "correct" thing to do - instead of doing away with the old sound, integrate it with the new to make a third sound.
Night457
Global Moderator

Yes! But I objected to the electric guitar and electric bass played by the Lolita Fashion girls. Please, acoustic only!
petra

Post by petra »   0 likes

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but those actors were born between 1993, and 98. The only one under 16 is the girl getting out of the car at the end. She was born in 2003. https://dramanice.so/drama/our-shining-days-detail
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

In this case, they played high-schoolers and looked and behaved like it. However, I'll move this to Verified Off-Topic if people want me to.

And Night, what do you have against electric guitars? Acoustic has its place, but in this case the electric's sound fit better. Not only did they mix classical Chinese and Western instruments, but classical Chinese, Western orchestral and Western Pop genres. Electric guitars have been intermixed with orchestras forever either as part of the group, or the orchestra acts as backup to major bands, for instance Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. If it sounds good, who cares?
Night457
Global Moderator

Phuzzy4242 wrote:And Night, what do you have against electric guitars? ... Electric guitars have been intermixed with orchestras forever ...
I have nothing against electric guitars, and have spent far more time listening to them than classic acoustic instruments of any culture. So really, no anti-electric bigotry intended. But that "forever" is only the past half-century or so, since the snooty classicists realized they had lost audiences to rock'n'roll and needed to take side gigs as back-up musicians. Long gone are the days when movie studios would keep an entire orchestra on payroll to score all their films.

I technically speaking do not object to musical fusion, as most modern musical styles are the result of precisely that (and I like some of them). With this particular movie it just grated for me, the sudden intrusion out of NOWHERE of electric into the acoustic. I have seen thousands of long-haired electric guitarists and wanted to see more of the Chinese instruments instead! They spent the whole movie promoting the value of traditional Chinese instrument players who were unjustly persecuted by the Western-style-worshippers (Chinese propaganda I did not believe, but accepted that fiction for the purposes of the movie) and then they suddenly threw in the electric instruments. Well then it was not about two competing traditions that could work together, but just a great big melting pot of WHATEVER thrown all together. I could at least close my eyes to the hologram character. Maybe the shy and untalkative girl should have demonstrated her secret passion for hip-hop, breaking out of character and rousing the crowd by rapping some funky-fresh rhymes?

I had to wonder how these incredibly serious people devoted whole-heartedly to their traditional music someone found the time to nerd out on anime, comics and games, even to the point of cosplaying and attending conventions. Were they coke-fiends who never slept?

While I was skeptical about the age of the actors and wondered if they were supposed to be college students rather than high-school, ultimately I decided it did not matter to me. Off-topic or not, I have seen it and enjoyed it.