Is it okay to use a VPN with eMule?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Nasuada

Re: Is it okay to use a VPN with eMule?

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:
Nasuada wrote:I'm not a big friend of monthly or yearly subscriptions... I got this VPN Service over a Deal with a lifetime subscription for less than 20€
I'm not a VPN expert, but this sounds suspiciously cheap to me (unless the "lifetime" is very short).
Well... I didn't think that this VPN Provider is suspiciously. The Service is existing since 2013 and they support a lot of platforms (mobile and desktop). I didn't think that they put so much work in developing and keep up the service for so long time, to simply grab money. I'm know that this is not the perfect service, but it's better than without anything... Right?
And the Question for FLM was, if I can use eMule with it, but sadly not. So long, I can live with that. But in a global way I'm feeling me a bit better to be connected with a different IP as my default. Also I can using some services from other country's who are blocked for me in Germany. In my first test's I can run Netflix from the US for example. So it does his job as I need it.

If I need more security, I need to search for another service, but again... They can say a lot but if it's really true? If I watching the Website of all the VPN service it's like to fight through the jungle. Most of them would catch me with special offers, promised me the best experience, the best security and lot of other stuff. And what I don't like is to offer me a service for 5,99€ and write in little letters, that they will bill me for 1 year so I need to pay 71,88€ or I choose a shorter time and need to pay more... So why?
[Image]
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Commercial VPN providers is really a jungle. There are whole forums dedicated to these discussions. I looked into this briefly some years ago, but I gave up.

If a lifetime subscription costs 20 € and an average user uses the service for 10 years, it makes 2 € per year. I really wonder how they can provide you bandwidth for downloading movies with that. Probably it comes with some kind of advertising or something.

I would be cautious if a VPN service requires extra software rather than using standard protocols and built-in features of your operating system, because this extra software may include adware and spyware.

Just some thoughts without having any experience with commercial VPN myself.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I can see the value in what Nasuada found and also appreciate mimzy's cautions -- about downloading recent movies as well!

I do not know if it is typical or not, but AirVPN has a small GUI for logging in, choosing Servers / Countries and reviewing statistics. I have seen no adware. MAYBE there is hidden spyware, but so far my bank account has not mysteriously emptied.

Although as I have indicated before, it IS more expensive and the ONLY reason I took the effort to get a VPN was because it was the only way for me to get my eMule High ID back when I switched my ISP.